Key bindings that don't work

fyodor

Spaceman
Playing the game these past days, I've come across several keys that don't work as indicated in the manual (default Windows install, P:R v. 1.0, manual v. 1.0.3). Note that this is not an exhaustive list, just those I have come across.

alt+s Should enslave captured pilots. Does nothing.

F1 Should switch to HUD/Fullscreen mode. First time pressing F1 after leaving a base/planet it fails (consistently, at least first time after starting the game). Subsequent attempts work fine.

O Should "blank MFD". Does nothing.

o Should "display current mission objectives MFD". Does nothing.

alt-e Should toggle ECM device. Hitting it causes ECM status to blink disabled for a nanosecond before returning to enabled.

del Should roll right. Does nothing.

del Should roll left. Does nothing.

alt+# Should assign target to the # (e.g. 1). Does nothing. (see ctrl+#)

ctrl+# Should recall assigned target. Does nothing. It's not immediately clear which of the assign/recall functions that work (or don't). Suffice to say that at least one does not.

Not working on non-US keyboard (Danish, fwiw. trying both the key that it would have been, had the keyboard been a US one and the one it actually is on a Danish keyboard):

= Should increase speed.

\ Should set max speed.

` Shelton slide.

; Respawn after death.

[ Switch control from current to targeted ship. (might work)

The astute will note that these are all the keys that are not located in the same place as on a US keyboard - and all some that require holding down shift or "Alt Gr" (alternate alt, located where the right alt button normally is, allowing the user access to more chars).

fyodor said:
alt+s Should enslave captured pilots. Does nothing.
Sure it does. Just that ejected pilots you tractor in after blowing up their ship are already considered "slaves" (per the original game). Try it on someone you tractor in for a rescue mission.
F1 Should switch to HUD/Fullscreen mode. First time pressing F1 after leaving a base/planet it fails (consistently, at least first time after starting the game). Subsequent attempts work fine.
That's not quite the same thing as saying it doesn't work
O Should "blank MFD". Does nothing.
What?? O should bring up scanning mode.
o Should "display current mission objectives MFD". Does nothing.
It does. In the Tarsus, the objectives don't show up in the MFD, they are in a seperate message box in the viewing area (for newbs who might not think of pressing 'o'). In all other ships, it does indeed bring up the objectives screen.
alt-e Should toggle ECM device. Hitting it causes ECM status to blink disabled for a nanosecond before returning to enabled.
Meh. It isn't supposed to be toggleable at all.
del Should roll right. Does nothing.
del Should roll left. Does nothing.
Correct. Default bindings for those two functions have been switched to numpad / and *. Sounds like perhaps that change didn't make it into the manual. You can change them back yourself, or try the correct keys :)
alt+# Should assign target to the # (e.g. 1). Does nothing. (see ctrl+#)
ctrl+# Should recall assigned target. Does nothing. It's not immediately clear which of the assign/recall functions that work (or don't). Suffice to say that at least one does not.
Works here.

MamiyaOtaru said:
What?? O should bring up scanning mode.
Not per the manual ;-)

[regarding "o"]It does. In the Tarsus, the objectives don't show up in the MFD, they are in a seperate message box in the viewing area (for newbs who might not think of pressing 'o'). In all other ships, it does indeed bring up the objectives screen.
I'm seeing no effect in the demon and the centurion. Perhaps because it only has an effect in cockpit mode? I don't think I've flown anything *but* the tarsus in cockpit mode, so that might explain it.

Correct. Default bindings for those two functions have been switched to numpad / and *. Sounds like perhaps that change didn't make it into the manual. You can change them back yourself, or try the correct keys :)[/qoute]
The manual lists all four. * and / work just fine.

[alt+#/ctrl+#]Works here.
Hmm... You target something. Press e.g. ALT+1. Then target something else. Then press CTRL+1 and you should get the target you assigned it, right? I don't. Nothing happens.

fyodor said:
I'm seeing no effect in the demon and the centurion. Perhaps because it only has an effect in cockpit mode? I don't think I've flown anything *but* the tarsus in cockpit mode, so that might explain it.
What ship you are in doesn't matter, it only matter which cockpit you are using. And you seem to be using the "no cockpit" cockpit. As in the tarsus, the objectives are not in the MFD, but their own display on the right side of the screen.
Hmm... You target something. Press e.g. ALT+1. Then target something else. Then press CTRL+1 and you should get the target you assigned it, right? I don't. Nothing happens.
That's exactly how it works here. Perhaps a side effect of your different layout?

MamiyaOtaru said:
[alt+# for saving targets]That's exactly how it works here. Perhaps a side effect of your different layout?
No, that should not be possible. There is no difference between the alt key on a Danish keyboard and a US keyboard. There is also no difference with the numbers.

I actually have a US keyboard that I can move over from my Linux box... think I'll try that later just to be sure.

Back