Jutland class?

Loko

Spaceman
First off I would like to say how extremely impressed I am with all ya'lls effort on this project. I've been playing Wing Commander since the early 90's and really grew up on it, reading all the novels and playing every single game. I cannot begin to describe how much i am looking forward to the completion of your project. The ships look incredible (definantly proffesional quality) and you could not have picked a better timeline with the Battle of Terra as a setting. It will certainly provide pure euphoria to me and many other fans of Wing Commander.

Now on the my question: i noticed from your percent of completion screen that you had Jutland listed as one of the ships to be completed, and i was curious as to what this ship is. Is it another class of carrier? I am also very eager to see a rendering of the Hakaga supercarrier. Again, thanks for making the dreams of so many Wing Commander fans come true.
 

Lynx

Spaceman
Here's a Jutland class carrier(This is the WC Saga version, the Standoff model will have WC2ish textures and some slight differences in shape):

J3a.jpg


J2a.jpg
 

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Loko said:
First off I would like to say how extremely impressed I am with all ya'lls effort on this project. I've been playing Wing Commander since the early 90's and really grew up on it, reading all the novels and playing every single game.
I'm pretty sure everyone on our team can relate to you there - I mean, it takes a good reason to work so hard and for so long on a project like this :)

Loko said:
I cannot begin to describe how much i am looking forward to the completion of your project. The ships look incredible (definantly proffesional quality) and you could not have picked a better timeline with the Battle of Terra as a setting. It will certainly provide pure euphoria to me and many other fans of Wing Commander.
Thanks, it's always good to see people who appreciate what we're doing.

Loko said:
Now on the my question: i noticed from your percent of completion screen that you had Jutland listed as one of the ships to be completed, and i was curious as to what this ship is. Is it another class of carrier?
Yes, it is another class of carrier mentioned in WC novels, but which never showed up in any games. I'm not sure if the class name is mentioned in any official WC material that was ever released... I do know that, if I'm not mistaken, there was a "WC Bible" used by the novel writes to make sure they didn't contradict anything already stated somewhere else, and this bible lists the existance of this Jutland-class of CVAs, and the TCS Trafalgar from End Run is listed as an example.

Since the WC Saga guys have much more of an interest in this class than I do (the Leyte Gulf will be the only representative of that class to show up in Standoff, and only for a short while), they came up with a model for it, which both mods are going to use - even though, as Lynx said, the Standoff version will have a few rounder edges and a lot of greener textures. :D

Likewise, the WC Saga guys will use my CVE model in their project. Both the Jutland and the CVE designs, just to name a couple of examples, take into consideration the smallest bits of detail that have been given to us via the novels... which makes it a lot more likely that everyone (both fan project staff and the players) will agree on the use of these designs. It's probably in everyone's best interest to keep the mods working towards a common goal instead of stepping on each other's toes. ;)
 

Loko

Spaceman
Awesome. Thanks for answering my question. I'm looking forward to seeing the Standoff version of this ship. Your textures (the rough edges and green tones) do more justice to Wing Commander than having everything look shiny and new, in my opinion. Its the little details that make Standoff the best conversion i've ever seen.
 

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
Eder said:
Likewise, the WC Saga guys will use my CVE model in their project. Both the Jutland and the CVE designs, just to name a couple of examples, take into consideration the smallest bits of detail that have been given to us via the novels... which makes it a lot more likely that everyone (both fan project staff and the players) will agree on the use of these designs. It's probably in everyone's best interest to keep the mods working towards a common goal instead of stepping on each other's toes. ;)

*with a nod indicates his approval*
 

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Here's a work-in-progress preview of Standoff's version of the Jutland, since I haven't managed to finish it by today as I had planned to:

jut1.png


jut2.png


jut3.png


Oh, and by the way, a happy new year to all! :cool:
 

Loko

Spaceman
Awesome. Im REALLY looking forward to this game. Yall did an incredible job of mixing the features of the Confederation class and Concordia class, and bridged that bit of discontinuity better than any Wing Commander rendering i've ever seen.
 

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Well, as has already been said in this thread, it's Lynx you gotta thank for this one :p

(All I did was retexture the model and change some parts).
 

Eder

Mr. Standoff
And here's one obscenely big image of the fully textured Standoff version of the Jutland.

donejut.png


The imported model will look basically the same, except that it will have turrets, of course... including our traditional Big-Ass-Flak-Turret-On-The-Bow (which ranks #1 in the "top 10 ways to figure out if Ed did this" chart).
 

Lynx

Spaceman
We ran in some trouble because our model had too much texture maps, so I retextured our Jutland version and compressed some of the textures in a big 512x512 map to meet the limit, and I added the hole in the middle of the Jutland too. Here is it:

Jutland1.jpg
 

Cam

Spaceman
I feel like taking all these Standoff and WC Saga WC2 models and making a big "Join the Confederation!" poster. lol.

If only I could...
 

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Love the model. Just a quick question though...what is the deal with the hole in the middle of the flight deck??
 

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Cam said:
What exactly is the hole for...?
Ventilation :D

Well, really, I dunno. I figure it's some sort of docking port for ships which can't fit into the hangar or somesuch. You know, like big transports unloading big things, etc. :p
 
Top