Just venting some air...

Hero

Spaceman
Hmmm, I don't remember when was the last time I visited the CIC (or any other site for that matter...), for I've been strageling to bring my computer back from the land of the dead in the past few <days>/<weeks?>/<months?!>.
This pice of junk, which I've bought last year crushed about every 5 mins. Just to play it safe, I formatted my hard drive. Then, after several hours in which I've spent instaling programs, the damm thing crushed, and kept on crushing the next times. I gave it to someone to find what was the problam, and he said it was the power supplier's fan. I replaced the fan, only to figure that the entire thing doesn't work right, 'cause it burned my new fan too. Bought a new power supplier, still doesn't work.
Turns out the fan on my CPU is fried too. Changed that, and it turns out my CPU is fried. Ok, I need to buy a new one (still haven't done that). In the mean time, I need to use what I have, so I want to install things from the top. I format the thing, and begin installing WinCrush98 again.
Here's the *fun* part: I use my dad's copies of Win & Office. My dad has a minimal understanding with computers, and he thinks he knows the best. If you saw the copies he has (which were once new and shiny), you'd think that they were run over by a heavy truck several times (I keep on telling him to watch them, or at least allow me to keep 'em, but hey, what do I know? :MAD: ).
Fine, so I give my computer to someone who installs win98 on it. I start installing things again, and just as I finish installing my antivirus, WinCrap says my registry has errors in it, and that it'll all be alright if I'll press to confirm (the olny option I had). Computer restarts, registry wiz appears, runs it's tests, tells me the errors were fixed by using an old backup of the registry. System start again, and as soon as win**** start again, I get a critical error about exploror and can do nothing excpt shut down usin alt+ctrl+del. This thing happnes every time after that. My dad gets mad at me and blame the anti-virus (which, BTW, he himself use), yet I say it has to be with Office, since it has exploror 5 in it. We take the computer back to put win on it, and I start installing things again, and after I finish installing office, the same thing that happened before, happens again (that was an hour ago).
If you want to guess why that happened, I'll give you a hint: The sand-like substence on the CD might have something to do with it. Anyway, my dad just went out from the country to a business meating, and he'll be back next week, and I have no intentions about taking care of the box in my room which some would call a computer.
I saved money, and I'll just buy a new computer without the things I can use from the old one like the monitor and the rest of the thing which actually work
mad.gif

Oh yeah, and I won't be here for a little while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why go through all that? Just buy a new mobo, proc, power supply, and possibly ram, salvage what you can (case, CD, sound, video,), and build another system? Any amount of money's worth not having to screw with it more than you have to just to get on the 'net.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Hero: I think it's a hard disk problem. Try using scandisk to test the track integrity. You get file errors intermitently with problem disks. Please note that Win95 & up tries to perform reads or writes many times before ever reporting an error, unlike in DOS w/c is less tolerant. At times it took almost 10 minutes to boot up
mad.gif

Anyway, I replaced the HD and got going again. Replaced the whole box w/ a P3 last Xmas
wink.gif

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

either that or like he says the software he's using is just plain kludge. While we're on this track, ive got a minor problem to. Apparently the properties option from the HD tells me ive got a full HD, but the sum of all the files on my HD (through the select all-properties track) comes up 300 megs short. Anyone know where the space went, and how to fix it? Ive got pentium166, winbl*ws 95, 32 meg ram and 1 gig HD (a full quarter of usable HD space gone! NOOOO!)

Chernikov said:
either that or like he says the software he's using is just plain kludge. While we're on this track, ive got a minor problem to. Apparently the properties option from the HD tells me ive got a full HD, but the sum of all the files on my HD (through the select all-properties track) comes up 300 megs short. Anyone know where the space went, and how to fix it? Ive got pentium166, winbl*ws 95, 32 meg ram and 1 gig HD (a full quarter of usable HD space gone! NOOOO!)

It's probable that you have a FAT16, rather than a FAT32. I should know, I'm using the FAT16
frown.gif
As such, you use about 16Kb per cluster
eek.gif
as against 4Kb in a FAT32. You could convert it to FAT32 in WIN98, but that means reformatting your drive. <ugh>

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

Chernikov said:
Apparently the properties option from the HD tells me ive got a full HD, but the sum of all the files on my HD (through the select all-properties track) comes up 300 megs short.
Shut down everything that's running in the background and use scandisk to do a complete scan of the drive.

You might empty out your Temp and Temporary Internet folders. That might give you a little space. And then try running defrag as well. That can clean up some space, especially on Fat 16 partitions. As with scan disk, the less things running in the background, including screensavers, anti-virus, etc. the better.

So why dont you use Esafe protect which not a bad softwre for Antivirus.It is affordable or get NOrton 2000 the best but may be costly
smile.gif

-------------------------
No fighter of the confed is better than ME!!
SINCE i am the best of the best hehheh

JoeyRP said:
It's probable that you have a FAT16, rather than a FAT32. I should know, I'm using the FAT16
frown.gif
As such, you use about 16Kb per cluster
eek.gif
as against 4Kb in a FAT32. You could convert it to FAT32 in WIN98, but that means reformatting your drive. <ugh>

FAT32 has almost no effect at all under 2 GB, even less on a 1 GB partition. Could it be the Virtual memmory swap file that`s eating away at your HDD?
Hero, the message you get about the explorer crashing doesn`t refer to the Internet Explorer program, but to the Windows Explorer program which comes built in Windows. Usually, when you get such messages it means some DLLs got screwed up, but if it happens right after a new installation it probably means the installation is screwed up, or in this case, quite possibly, the installation CD is defective, or the HDD is.

If you want to do a COMPLETE defrag, ditch Winblows Defrag. To do it completely, you have to set your virtual memory file to 0, then defrag, then restart in safe mode (so you don't overload your RAM with anything that loads in the background, with no swap, that would be bad...), then go back, and set your swapfile to two and a half times your ram, or just set it to 256 or 384, because if you use more than that, you need to buy more hardware memory
smile.gif
You can find the swap file settings by going to system properties (right click on My Computer, properties), going to the Performance tab, clicking on Virtual Memory, and set it to let me set my Memory settings. Set both boxes to 0, (make sure nothing is running except Explorer and System Tray, do a Ctrl Alt Del to make sure) and reboot. Make sure you come back in Windows in Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatidly when you see the Windows is now Starting... screen, choose the Safe Mode option). Then go back into System properties, performance, virtual memory, and setting both boxes to either 256 or 384, then reboot, and you don't have to worry about your swap file eating up your hard drive again.

Also, getting Norton System Works 2k is a good investment. From Speed Disk, you can defrag everything, it comes with AntiVirus, CrashGuard, and all those nice little necessities
smile.gif
Very good investment, and this is from a first hand experience. It even cleans old, worn registry entries from all those games and game demos you've installed and either deleted or uninstalled.

I forget how this goes, but remember not just to write in 256, you need to write it out, or the computer will use 256 BYTES, instead of MBs. So either 256,000,000, or 384,000,000. I'm pretty sure, but every hard drive maker does space in a different way, so it's hard telling what your specific drive uses, some go on the zeros, some go on the deep down numbers (being that 1 KB is like 1,027 bytes, or something like that, I can never remember it.). Anyway, it's a good way to stop Windows from using half your hard drive for it's extended RAM program. If something goes wrong, after your reboot again, go back into safe mode, and set it back to windows, and resort here, I'll try to help
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited July 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited July 25, 2000).]

Knight has a point to remember; you must reset the swap file back up after the Defrag.

However; run Scandisk and Defrag, and possibly restart Windows.
Unfortunately it is a possibility that your Hard Drive is breaking down; or that your Windows Installation Disks/CD are defective.

Unless your HD is making really weird noises; then it is hard to tell what is wrong with what. To be on the safe side; you should have a Boot Disk readily available with essential files (Command.Com, Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, etc). Without sending your computer into a shop and getting it examined maticulously for faults and error; your options are limited.

..and no, it's not suppose to do this...
biggrin.gif

Chernikov: About the swapfiles, you could check this right after booting Win95. Don't run anything yet, just open your windows explorer and check for the free disk space. If you are a power user, then you lose a lot of free space to swapfiles. You're lucky you have 300Mb left, I'm making do with 120Mb. It's not due for replacement until next year.
frown.gif

The P3 at home, though, still has 2.5Gb
biggrin.gif

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

I usually had less than 30 megs of free space in the C partition. Then we replaced the disk for a 27 gig one.
biggrin.gif

Been running Win98 and Linux then.

I had those random problems, but mine ended up being an overheated (overclocked) processor and Ram DIMMs badly seated in the slots.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited July 26, 2000).]

AFAIK overclocking is fine, but you have to have the right RAM specs & settings. Needs a more efficient cooling fan, too. Random failures? Had those when my 486 was o'c to 103
biggrin.gif
Figured I to had set the wait state back from 0 to 1. <ugh> felt like a neanderthal in a world of plug n play

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

Tried it, didnt work (tried it before, just not disabling the Vmem first) I think I tried the format bit also, and no way im going to dump all the stuff I have now and reformat. Now that Diablo is finished I have an extra 250 megs again, and should be getting a new CPU sometime soon here.

However, the problem is still disturbing. My disks are mint, my HD shows no problems whatsoever, etc. etc. etc there IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO BE HAPPENING!

So, you`re saying it`s not the swap file... hmm... maybe your hdd is not a 1 GB hdd but in fact a 700 MB one?
wink.gif
Maybe there are other hidden files you`re overlooking. Do a complete scan of what each directory on the disk contains, and remember that the directories themselves take up space too.

Oops! Just checked out mine and the FAT16 gives a 32Kb cluster size. So, if you have a lot files that use less than half a cluster, you'll be losing a lot of potential space.
frown.gif

Here's mine as of this posting

Volume JRPDSKC created 02-28-2000 11:50a
Volume Serial Number is 3017-0A05

1,269,432,320 bytes total disk space
25,001,984 bytes in 263 hidden files
18,513,920 bytes in 562 directories
1,217,527,808 bytes in 9,593 user files
8,388,608 bytes available on disk

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit
38,739 total allocation units on disk
255 available allocation units on disk

655,360 total bytes memory
623,312 bytes free

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

Chernikov said:
Tried it, didnt work (tried it before, just not disabling the Vmem first) I think I tried the format bit also, and no way im going to dump all the stuff I have now and reformat. Now that Diablo is finished I have an extra 250 megs again, and should be getting a new CPU sometime soon here.

However, the problem is still disturbing. My disks are mint, my HD shows no problems whatsoever, etc. etc. etc there IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO BE HAPPENING!

Not sure if you also tried Defrag, that will really clear up some space on Fat 16 partitions, particulalry if the stuffs been on there a while.

Tried Defrag, Tried all the hidden file tricks when this first came up... and no i dont have a 700meg HD...
biggrin.gif

Back