Just thinking about a thing

NoRemorse

Rear Admiral
Wing Commander takes place in space. I was just wondering what WC would resemble in the "reality", insofar as in space, there are no sounds and no explosions...
Damn' ! Imagine: you are behind a kilrathi vessel, you shoot it down and... nothing... no colored explosion...

Originally posted by NoRemorse
Wing Commander takes place in space. I was just wondering what WC would resemble in the "reality", insofar as in space, there are no sounds and no explosions...
Damn' ! Imagine: you are behind a kilrathi vessel, you shoot it down and... nothing... no colored explosion...

Maybe a little colred explosion because of the oxygen inside the ship.

Yeah, there are a lot of gasses and (in some cases) fuels inside the ship to combust, not to mention any ordinace that may explode, etc. True, though, there shouldn't be much, if any, sound.

But it's a GAME. Enjoy it.

Talk to George Lucas about it too;)

Seriously though, I'd imagine there's a fair bit of oxygen on board the ships so there could be explosions, albeit very brief ones.

Originally posted by NoRemorse
Just try to play WC with sounds mute... it's an experience!

My friends and I were talking about this not too long ago. We think that the air inside would probably make an explosion, but I don't know what it'd be like just having the sound of my ship shaking because of my lasers being fired-then a small flash with no cool explosion of those Kilrathi. Sounds like it'd be boring to me! Well...maybe not boring, but not as satisfying!

Well, the least is that in real-life, if your cockpit blows up, you'll definitely hear it for a short while...
Maybe it was worth it for those "satisfying" milliseconds... :rolleyes:

Just turn off sound effects...you'd still hear your wingmen scream all the time...and Maniac...

I had actually written a minor peice of sci-fi back in High School that explained that all sound during a fighter attack was pumped in through headphones on the pilot, because the most basic and primal sense of danger is hearing, so it would be nessessary to hear ships and laser fire. :)

Dunno why I mentioned this. Me "beating my chest"...maybe I'll bruise it, who knows? :)

If you were close enough to the explosion (There would still be a brief one until anything combustible along with the oxygen was used up) you would definitely be buffeted by a wave of supperheated ions. In turn this could created an interesting sound as they pelt your ship or it's sheilds. And for a few milliseconds sound might be able to be transmited through the gas.

AD

The ships would explode rather nicely, air or not... remember, most craft are carrying some type of explosive warheads... also, fuel is rather nicely explosive.

TC

Originally posted by LeHah
I had actually written a minor peice of sci-fi back in High School that explained that all sound during a fighter attack was pumped in through headphones on the pilot, because the most basic and primal sense of danger is hearing, so it would be nessessary to hear ships and laser fire. :)

Of course the eggheads at Confed probably end up removing it to make room for prettier graphics. :D Think about that the next time your sound card gives out...

I read once science magazine about US Air force
researching to bring sounds back to fighter pilot.
I nowadays pilot can´t hear anything execpt warning
beeps, so scientics are trying to add some kind off
sound warning system that pilot could hear planes turning,
firing and so on...

Ships may carry explosive warheads -- but they probably wouldn't do much damage unless they were armed before you blew up. <G>

Originally posted by TC
The ships would explode rather nicely, air or not... remember, most craft are carrying some type of explosive warheads... also, fuel is rather nicely explosive.

TC

You'd still need oxygen for warheads, fuel or anything else to explode as such. Otherwise you'd just end up with the ships falling apart rather dramatically.

Of course, we are talking conventional explosives here. Nuclear detonations could still take place, so quite how tachyon and plasma weapons would work I don't know.

Tachyon weapons use the healing power of tachyons!

From the guides...

Tachyon cannons trap naturally occuring tachyons, decelerate them, polarize them and force them into streams... which causes them to create damage, apparently.

Plasma cannons electrically charge hydrogen molecules into a state of near-fusion.

So I'm guessing both would cause something similar to an explosion (or at least pretty looking) on impact with a ship or shields?

Back