just started playing Standoff for the first time...

Flashpoint

Rear Admiral
I have been meaning to play it for ages, but due to several reasons (some valid, some lazy and some just made up) I never had.

Now admittedly I hardly play combat sims anymore (due to above reasons), but ffaaarrrrrrk it is hard!!

I've died atlead 10 times and I'm only on mission 4.

Woe is me.

I just played through Standoff this week for the first time, I've also really been meaning to play it but just never got around to it.

I had the same impression as you at first. The first chapter is really damn tough but either I got used to it or the game gets a bit easier once you start fighting the cats. I think most of the problem early on is the Stiletto isn't the most durable or powerful ship in the world. I found myself getting really frustrated at the beginning but it got a lot better once the war was back on.

Welcome to the club of Standoff players!

Standoff is way harder than any of the official Wing Commander games, which is part of its charm. You actually have to get good at it to progress through the game, so it's not like any kid can grab a joystick and save the universe. Combining the speed-based Prophecy engine with WC2-era weapons (which are really lethal relative to the shields and armor of the day) and a decent AI makes survival a challenge. To make matters worse, some of the official Wing Commander games reinforce bad habits that will get you killed real quick in Standoff. Like ignoring enemies on your tail to get another kill, or holding down the AB button...

I found Standoff really hard when I first started, until I figured out a few things:

* Make staying alive your #1 priority, like Paladin advises in Claw Marks. If someone's on your tail, get them off, even if you're about to make a kill.

* Learn to conserve you AB fuel. Tap or pulsate your burners, don't lean on them. Don't use AB to chase down evasive enemies...use them only for evasive action, closing quickly (and briefly) to get a solid kill, or to quickly get over to a mission-critical target/objective.

* Targeting your guns in the Standoff engine is tricky, especially with mass drivers, which fly really slow. Don't waste energy sniping from a distance...close till you're sure of your shot and unload your entire gun capacitors in quick succession. Don't overly rely on the ITTS: not only do some ships not have it, but it won't help you hit a maneuvering enemy at longer ranges. In time, you'll learn the maneuvers the AI likes to pull and how to lead your shots taking that into account...until then, don't waste shots unless you're in close.

* Don't go head to head with an enemy and trade damage unless you're in a Crossbow. Really. There's a lot more of them then there are of you.

* If the game is too hard, don't be ashamed of turning the difficulty down a little. Alternatively, try turning the difficulty *UP*. It's believed that at higher difficulties, both the opponent AND the friendly AI get better, so your wingmen become better at staying alive and more helpful at completing mission objectives. There were some missions I could never beat on Ace (the default), but could beat on one difficulty level higher, because my wingmen helped me out more.

And finally, take heart...barring the first mission, the Prologue missions are not the easiest missions in the game. In fact, the Prologue finale is probably (in my opinion) one of the five hardest missions in the game (and another of the five hardest is also one of the Prologue branches). Life will get easier (for a while) once you get into Episode 2.

Oh, and by the way...unless you're a Standoff expert, whatever you do, DON'T skip Nav 1 and Nav 2 in the first mission and head straight to the jump point.

Interesting reading and I'll try and heed what you've said.
I've aleady taken a leaf out of KAT's viper combat training "JOJO fired to early and that's what gets him killed. You gotta fill the windscreen with the sonofabitch or you're not going to hit him"

I've taken a break for tonight after numerous failures to beat the pirate base.
It's eminently frustrating that your wingmen seem useless, your shields seem useless and every bogie you engage seems to hang on the aftetrburners so you can't shoot the fecker. I must also say that a 'target enemy who is shooting you' command would be extremely useful. Trying to work out who is shooting at you is frustrating.

So yeah, taking a break before I break my joystick in frustration :D

The pirate base mission is one of the hardest you'll fly in a while. I remember the first time I beat it...my wingmen had been all shot down, my ship was shot up, and then I ran out of AB fuel right around the time the Militia showed up to help with the last wave of pirates. I limped over to the Lionheart and let her guns protect me while the Militia took down the rest of the Talons. But I was lucky. I've tried that tactic on other playthroughs, only to see the pirates shoot down all the Militia and then come gunning for me...

One thing to keep in mind is that the wingmen you have for that mission depend on how many ships you've lost in Ep 1 to date (the game remembers how many ships are lost mission to mission, and the Lionheart only has a finite number of fighters). If Lionheart's wing is significantly depleted by the time you do this mission, it becomes even more difficult. You may want to go back and re-fly some of the earlier missions and see if you can lose fewer wingmen (turning the difficulty up helps in this respect), especially since you're probably a better pilot now.

Peacetime flying can do that to you :D

And after you fly the winning path you have to go back through and play the losing paths of Eps 3-5!

The one thing in standoff that makes especially the first chapter hard are the limited resources, you just can't go play the hero and fight everything in your path. If you lose your wingman, you do not miss a wingman, but will end up unable to start a mission.

The first chapter in standoff might be considered a little too hard.

Combining the speed-based Prophecy engine with WC2-era weapons (which are really lethal relative to the shields and armor of the day) and a decent AI makes survival a challenge.

WC2/Standoff ships have about half the shield and armor strength in proportion to their weapon strength as Prophecy ships--two solid volleys from dual mass drivers is enough to take down the shields of a Stiletto, and three more is enough to tear through your armor and start into your core hit points. Remember, the Stiletto is just a Ferret with 4 heatseeker missiles and a little extra armor.

* Learn to conserve you AB fuel. Tap or pulsate your burners, don't lean on them. Don't use AB to chase down evasive enemies...use them only for evasive action, closing quickly (and briefly) to get a solid kill, or to quickly get over to a mission-critical target/objective.

Standoff ships mostly have 120 seconds of afterburner fuel compared to the 360 seconds that most Prophecy ships have, so don't play like you are Flash from WC3--you are NOT a Rocket Man.

Back