Just a quick Freespace 2 question...

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Okay, sorry to use those hated words but I have been trying to find any kind of information on modding FS2 to include my own ship models (like the Fralthi I just made and several others etc.) Since you guys have worked with the project a lot, I thought you might have some insight. Is there any way to import ships into the game WITHOUT using Truespace??? I don't have it, and I really don't want to get it (even the evaluation version). I can't find a .obj or.dxf converter to .cob either...any suggestions? Am I missing something big here?

Maj.Striker said:
Okay, sorry to use those hated words but I have been trying to find any kind of information on modding FS2 to include my own ship models (like the Fralthi I just made and several others etc.) Since you guys have worked with the project a lot, I thought you might have some insight. Is there any way to import ships into the game WITHOUT using Truespace??? I don't have it, and I really don't want to get it (even the evaluation version). I can't find a .obj or.dxf converter to .cob either...any suggestions? Am I missing something big here?

hey, always glad to help... I was thinking how I might be of assistance and stumbled across this document on my hard drive.

Maybe I should add that I hate Truespace as much as you do.

Download

Sorry to say, but at one point you have to use truespace , because the
only existing converter is a cob-to-pof.

Even when you model and texture everything using other programms, you
must use truespace to build the model-hierarchy and to create a cob-file out of it.

There is a full downloadable version of TS3.2 available for legal download.
Siwtch over to www.3dap.com/hlp , there
you will find in the modding-forum the download link (sticky on top) and the
freespace -wiki, which contains all necessary information on FS2-Modding

Truespace is quite hard to handle for the beginner, but since you spend time
with it, you will also learn to live with it's failures. I don't know other programms,
but I'm quite sure that Truespace isn't the nonplusultra. But is is purchable for
a low budget (there are other ways too).

I think there was a way on other programs also to do some herachie stuff....

if you do not use truespace then I cannot give you technical support for POF Cosntructor Suite - people complain about me about not having Lightwave, and 3DS support, etc - but I don't have those programs so I'm not qualified to write the converter

I provided a plugin SDK for people to write the converters, but nobody has stepped up to the plate

BTW: Truespace 3.2 (minimum supported version) is available for free download now from Caligari themselves

Back