Jump Technology

Pedro

Admiral
Apologies if this has been covered before (particularly if its a topic done to death, heck I probably knew the answer half a decade ago), or its just a stupid question, but I'm curious what the official word is on jump time.

From the Wing Commander bible:
"As has been mentioned several times, the jump takes no time at all, in either the frame of reference of the jump ship or that of an outside observer at either end. The only time required for jump travel is that of travelling to and from jump points"

This was my understanding of the technology, but in Academy Blair and Payback spend the better of the episode travelling through the node. Is this a special case or one of those oversights that inevitably creep into any franchise?

You may want to check out LOAF's Jump FAQ. I believe that is the most current version, but not 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check out LOAF's Jump FAQ. I believe that is the most current version, but not 100%

Wow neat, there's some interesting stuff there. Special case for supernodes; makes sense.

The Morvan drive stuff is interesting too, is that sourced from the Confederation Handbook? (another item sitting back at my parents not getting the attention it deserves :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
The Morvan drive stuff is interesting too, is that sourced from the Confederation Handbook? (another item sitting back at my parents not getting the attention it deserves )

Largely, yes - and much of the jump drive 'mechanics' material printed in the Confed Handbook is actually taken directly from the series bible.

We do seem to see a few cases where time was experienced during a jump - there's a scene in Wing Commander IV where you see the 'tunnel' from the bridge of the Intrepid and there's a scene or two from Academy where Blair is recording a log entry while the Tiger's Claw is in jump space. Almost every other time is undefined or instant, though (also, note that material directly from the bible *isn't* 'canonical' - since it hasn't been printed anywhere... this particular bit, however, has certainly shown up elsewhere since then.)

It has always been my theory (just a theory) that as space-time continues to shift as gravity wells move around, sometimes a "sticky" jump point is created.

When the curves of space shift, and two planes of space are no longer touching each other to create a jump point, they continue to "stick," much like how a piece of gum might stretch between two points once it is sandwiched between them.

Traveling through one of these "sticky" jump points would cause a time delay and a tunnel, instead of an instantaneous jump as in a normal jump point.

Again, just a far-fetched idea.

Back