Joysticks using gameport losing calibration

U

Unregistered

Just in case anybody run into the same issue. If you have Cool&Quiet enabled your joystick may lose it’s calibration settings. That is because these settings depend on your CPU speed (a known fact back in the DOS days, now forgotten by me). Cool&Quiet technology reduces amount of voltage delivered to your CPU thus reducing it’s speed (for example from 1800MHz to 995 MHz) when there are no processor intensive tasks. Therefore joystick calibration made while the CPU was at 995 MHz will not be valid when your CPU reaches 1800MHz. Since Standoff and Unknown Enemy stress the CPU only occasionally you may notice the following:
The mouse cursor is behaving correctly until you reach the briefing. While the voice samples are played the mouse cursor (which can be controlled by joystick) suddenly starts to move (you can’t believe how challenging it is to click the FLY button).
The ship you’re flying behaves properly until large objects become visible (or there is a large number of small objects). For example: you may be flying straight, autopilot to the next NAV point and suddenly your ship may start to turn, only to stop turning moments later (when the large object goes off screen). Ship controls will be working fine until you face the object again. Let’s just say that this makes dogfighting more difficult (let alone anti-turret runs).

So the solution would be to turn the Cool&Quiet feature off, preferably by entering Power Options in Control Panel and changing the Power Scheme to Home/Office Desk.

I don’t know if it affects USB joysticks (probably not since they don’t require calibration).

And to think I’ve finished Unknown Enemy with Cool&Quiet enabled…

Hmm... Guess it makes sense. However I guess the whole thing can definitely only apply to Gameport joystick (as the do indeed measure voltages) and most likely also only for an on board game port. I certainly didn't notice anything like that ony my audigy 2.

cff said:
. I certainly didn't notice anything like that ony my audigy 2.

Well, I'm using a gameport on SB Audigy. It could be system specific issue though.

Back