Joystick problems anyone?

LT Fox Fire

Spaceman
Have an old reliable Mach 1 Joystick that in Remake cannot stay still...jerks all over. Windows sees it as perfectly centered along with the dos version of Privater..

deadband? Sounds like the area in which the center is expanded to include the 0,0 mark like in Privateer 2. I'll have to locate it when I get home and give it a try. Thank you.

Just before I get lost...

deadband variable in vegastrike.config...is that a file? Im not at home so I cannot check. Can I edit it simply with a text editor?

Done deal and it worked, placing the deadband at .7 for both fixed the jitters. But, like having a 2 inch box I just made a .7 inch hole in the middle. In fact, when I went back the first worked at .6 and the second at .7 I know this seems like a moot issue but the joystick is a major part of the game play. To me, the larger deadband is a bad compromise. I have to swing the joystick about half-way before the ship moves, that adds up to unsteady flight and difficult control as well as having a ship that just doen't quite yaw or pitch as much as I would like. Any snowball chance for a Joystick calibration Alt-J feature?

Joystick configuration/ No real problem but help would be welcome!!!

Hi, you mighty and skilled programing people.
Can anybody tell me what I have to do to configure my joystick in a way, tha t, when I press one of the buttons and pull right/left, the ship rolls right/left?
How do i do this? especially so that i can still pull up or down and fire while rolling?

I tried to edit the veagastrike.config but i messed up

Ehm... I don't think it's possible. But I was going to do something like that for the Inertial flight: a button in the joystick would disable the compensator and switch to direct thrust mode. I will just remember that and add other bindings, like enabling "RollMode" or something like that.

klauss said:
Ehm... I don't think it's possible. But I was going to do something like that for the Inertial flight: a button in the joystick would disable the compensator and switch to direct thrust mode. I will just remember that and add other bindings, like enabling "RollMode" or something like that.

Do you mean not possible in Vegastrike? I don't know a thing about such stuff but I remeber it was possible in strike commander and i think it was also possible in wc3/wc4... but i'm not sure there...

Maybe the thing is easier to solve than i thought. The manual says "3 Axis Joystick and Throttle - Enables movement in all three directions, plus the use of..." ...Z-Axis - Changes direction of roll..."
I am using a Thrustmaster USB joystick which is an 3 Axis joystick with integrated throttel. If i get the manual right, i just have to find out how to use the z-Axis to get what i want. Any help there?

Just bind the "z" axis, instead of the "throttle" axis. That'll make it roll with the throttle.

That is,

<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="2" inverse="false"/>

Is there a possibility to set a keyboard-modifier on an joystick axis? i tried to do this as it is done for keyboard-keys but then the game didn't want to start again...

No, that won't work. That was what I was saying... keyboard modifiers will be needed for Inertial Flight, but not implemented as

<axis name="z" modifier="something" ../>

but as

<bind key="x" command="Joystick::DirectThrustMode"/>

or even

<bind joystick="0" button="3" ... command="Joystick::DirectThrustMode"/>

rats! to be able to do this was the only reason to buy a joystick. This would be the thing which makes joystick-flying superior to keyboard-flying... now i'm sad

Well, don't be so sad. I was going to add that, anyways. I'll try to remember to add Joystick::RollMode too.

Back