Java in IE

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
Sorry, this isn't WC related, but ever since I got my new computer, I haven't been able to see Java applets in IE. I'm thinking that includes Java #WingNut and HCl's WCSO Key Generator. I've played around with the security settings and what-not, but no-go. Before, I was using IE6 on Win98, now I'm using IE6 on WinXP. Does anyone have any ideas on what's going wrong? Please don't tell me things like "use Netscape" and stuff like that.

PS For that matter, I haven't been able to make FTP downloads from home, either. Is that firewall related? Because I've allowed FTP in WinXP 'firewall', plus I'm using ZoneAlarm which didn't cause any problems before...

If I'm remembering correctly, Microsoft did not include a Java Virtual Machine in Windows XP as they did in previous versions of Windows. You'll need to download the Java VM from Sun, the creators of Java. You can get that here. Be warned: It's about 15 megs.

As for your FTP downloads, that could be firewall related. However, I rather doubt the XP firewall would block them by default. ZoneAlarm, as I recall, has to be taught how act and so a new install of it on a new OS would have to learn all over again. It's hard to say. I'd have to know if you've got a home network set up or if it's just you and a modem. Also, I'd need to see one of the FTP servers you're trying to use, as they can be configured differently.

Also, setting FTP downloads to PASV mode usually works better when you're behind a firewall, and IE does not default to using PASV. You'd find that in the advanced settings in IE, as Passive FTP.

Java VM not included? I'm disappointed. Still, if that's all there is to fix it, then I'll give it a go.

I got FTP working again - I had selected "Passive FTP" mode in the advanced options for IE beforehand, but I hadn't had the chance to test it until just now.

The problem with MS and Java is that MS, in its typical fashion, wanted to do its own, incompatiple Java. Sun sued and won. So Microsoft, rather then inlcuding the proper Java again, pulled it completely. I am actually amazed that the enabled a downloaded Java to run with IE at all.

Well, the Java that runs in IE is a browser plugin, so... MS would really have to specifically code against it. That, I imagine, would bring about another lawsuit that they would, again, lose.

The really funny part is how MS completely abandoned the browser development bussiness. IE6.0 is nowadays by far the worst browser available, even if you do not consider any anti-MS bias. It is simply so last-millennium... Firefox really kicks its ass from here to wisconsin. It is not full of vulnerabilities, small, fast, compatible, respects web-standards, tabbed browsing, pop-up blocker, extensions, free, open-source... You name it, it's better. I wish people would stop using that wreak of a program that IE is. Internet would be alot safer.

Hmm, I generally don't use alternatives with web browsers because there's simply no way (that I know of) to remove IE from the Windows OS. Blame Microsoft's anti-competitive policies, if you want, but it's already there, so I use it. I haven't had any problems with web standards support, and Brazil to US really isn't that far. ;)

It is just that every other browser has moved on, all of them are more stable, safe and have more useful features. It is like is a steam engine train and all the others are TGVs.

I don't usually use IE, myself, but sometimes you have to when a page is poorly written or uses ActiveX (like WindowsUpdate). For those occasions, I suggest Avant browser. It's not really its own browser, but a smallish application that adds a lot to IE. Sure, it's still got all the security risks IE has, but it adds just about anything else you could want.

I still use Opera as my main browser, though. ;)

Back