Japanese Animations

Dahan

Rear Admiral
Question of curiosity.
Does anyone watch any Japan Anime? Does anyone have any particular favourites and is any watching anything at the moment.
I have see so many that I am trying to keep tabs.
Currently I am currently a series called Naruto, about a bunch of kids wanting to become Ninjas and there are three special skills in ninjitsu.
There is always room for Spirit Away, Valley of the Wing, City of Gold, Laputa, Poco Rosso, Princess Monoke (pardon the spelling), Akira, ghost in the shell, Neon Genesis, Macross Series, Daa Daa, Cowboy beep bop, Oh My Goddess, Initial D/Project D and many more so if anyone is a fan or likes watchin such movies/series I would like to here other peoples interest...cheers

Oh I had a thought what do you think a Japanese animation version of Wing Commander.....it would hell more graphic than the the Academy Series that was release. Some of the Companies in Japan might consider the possibility......or not....

I've been watching Trigun - an excellent post epocaliptic show about a singel gunman carry a bounty of 60 billion (60,000,000,000,000 !!!) $$ ... But is actully the good guy.
A really nice and funny show. :)
Cow Bebop and Ghost is the shell are also really good.

And about Wing Commander - if you ever saw "Star Blazers" you'd know a WC Anime project would be great :).

Well, i like Macross and its ''counterpart'' Robotech.
Also Saint Seya, Evangelion, Mazinger and when i was a little kid Captain Tsubasa

I watch anime all the time. My all time fav is the Gundam series, specifically any of the series' in the UC universe.

Here's a list of anime I've watched in full and liked:
Akira, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Full Metal Panic, Rurouni Kenshin and Samuria X, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Gungrave, Wolf's Rain, Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo, Macross, Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Outlaw Star, Bubblegum Crisis, Blue Submarine No. 6, Berserk, Fist of the North Star, Shadow Skill, Escaflowne, Ninja Scroll, Princess Mononoke, Wings of Honneamaise(spelling), Aura Battler Dunbine, and Gasaraki. I may have missed a few but it is a long list after all. :D

Greetings!
I’m a very big fan of Japanese animation. The movie I probably like most is Ghost in the Shell but I also like Princess Mononoke, Akira, Blood the Last Vampire, Evangelion, Patlabor and Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (I think this is how it’s called in English). Recently I’ve learned that there’s a Ghost in the Shell 2 and a new version of Appleseed (from the same creator of Ghost in the Shell). From the trailers I’ve seen it seems their both great, visually speaking. I hope to have the opportunity to see them.

As for an anime version of WC, considering present technologies, I think it would be astonishing.

I haven't seen either of the Ghost in the Shell movies but I like the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series. Trigun was pretty good as well. I liked Gundam but at times it does get boring. There's also Crest of the Stars and it's sequels whenever it came on TechTV. and Read Or Die the TV is alright as well. I especially liked Rurouni Kenshin and Robotech.

Since all the experts seem to be assembled here, I may have a question for you:
I used to watch an anime show way back in the early nineties on AFN (yeah, overseas kid), but I don't recall the title.
It was the usual giant robot stuff, with a team of three (two guys, one girl) flying/driving individual vehicles that could be combined into the giant fighting machine.

The quirk about it was...

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

... that in the last instalment of the series, all the villains were vanquished - and there was no need for the task force and their machine anymore. So the unit was disbanded, and the robot scrapped. The heroes went home, and the guys where sweating over who would ask the girl out on a date - when suddenly one of the former villains (some tall, blond, elven-looking guy, always in cloak and expensive clothes) came around the corner, threw a rose at her feet, and took her away. I was so baffled by the ending that I still keep thinking about it every time I accidentally watch something like Cobwoy Bebop or Lupin III... But maybe all of the anime series have cool endings like that, I'm really no expert here.

I'm not a fan on anime...couldn' get used to the odd drawing style of Japanese animations. I'm more a fan of the marvel style. That being said, I'm not an avid comic/cartoon follower with the exception of Futurama...loved that show.

Maj.Striker said:
I'm not a fan on anime...couldn' get used to the odd drawing style of Japanese animations. I'm more a fan of the marvel style.

Well, I’m also a big fan of Marvel comic books, although nowadays I don’t read that much. Do you know an artist called Joe Madureira? He drew for Marvel back in the nineties in such titles as The Astonishing X-Men (The Age of Apocalypse). If you do certainly you have recognised a strong manga/anime influence in his work. He is one of my favourite artists. :)

the anime I have most enjoyed are Macross (all the Studio Nue-produced series, which excludes Macross 2), Mospeada, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Southern Cross, the "official" Gundam series, Love Hina, all of the .hack series, and I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Nomad Terror said:
the anime I have most enjoyed are Macross (all the Studio Nue-produced series, which excludes Macross 2), Mospeada, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Southern Cross, the "official" Gundam series, Love Hina, all of the .hack series, and I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

When you say official, do you mean only UC Gundam, or only the ORIGINAL Gundam? I also stated that I only like UC(Universal Century) Gundam, the alternate universes don't do anything for me.

Anime is a lot like Star Wars and Star Trek for me. I like some of it but I fucking hate the fanbase.

I thought you (gerund, slang term for the act of intercourse) hated the fanbase of just about everything, LeHah.

I don't like anime, in general, though I will admit to watching Trigun latenights when I can't sleep.

Porthos said:
I thought you (sic) hated the fanbase of just about everything, LeHah.

Generally, yes. The CIC is the only exception I can think of - and only with the "old guard" really.

I'd probably agree with LeHah mostly, I typically hate anime fanfolk too. They tend not to shut the hell up when everyone was tired of hearing them talk about 20 minutes ago.

That being said, I still do have probably about 3 dozen animes that tend to top my list, although I'd say without a doubt some of the highest on there are Evangelion, Ranma 1/2, Magic Knights Rayearth, most things dealing with Lodoss, and a lot more I won't spend my time listing.

I'm a big fan of Rurouni Kenshin and Naruto myself. But yeah, the fanbase really bugs me. Especially most of the Naruto and One Piece fans... but seriously, Kenshin is one awesome anime.

Gotta love Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, maybe Ruroni Kenshin, and I dunno about Ghost in Shell. But, everything else is poorly done, and definately not worth that half hour of my life. Especially when it can be wasted in an off-topic forum.

Back