I've got freespace2 - now i'am waiting

PANI

Spaceman
for the wonderwul looking wcsaga. how big will the download be for such a great modification? when it will come, everyone would think.... ;) Tolwyn does great work.... really, respect.

Other question. will the mod also come in german language, or are the subtitels in german?

Demo Release: Its close...I can taste it.
Final Release: Still when its done.
Translation: Won't be done in the near time, cause we don't have the resources to do that right now. Maybe if we find some time and someone who is realy skilled then it can be translated...but not at the moment.
For the speach we have...I don't think that we will take on the work to search for voiceactors for the same reasons as for text translation. If some people would like to do it and show us that they are capable to keep the quality we can talk about it...at least that is my opinion.

Is a demo that necessary? In the real game development world, you usually make a demo under two conditions: 1) you're not sure all that many people will be excited about your game, so you give them a freebie to get people interested or 2) you make the demo afterwards for similar reasons, but not to take of resources during the dev phase. Most major games won't get a demo until after the release of the game. Since this is ultimately a free fan project anyway, is it really necessary to spend time making the demo when you could just be working on the actual thing? Since Saga is a self executable file, how much larger will the main package be compared to the demo?

Ok to get the confusion right...the Demo is the Prolouge to the main campain...so it has many purposes.
1) Introducing the hardcore WC gamer to the modified FS engine
2) Introducing the FS guys to WC
3) Give the people a first look on the characters and places
4) Helping use in creating something where we can have a feedback and sort out problems or dislikes people have and learning from these things to create a better main campain.

You see that its not a demo in the commen sence. Mods using the SO engine have the advance that they can build on something that has been made for WC...we are building things up from (nearly) nothing so a testbed was our desision to get things running.

@ Nomad Terror
Yes we are building a standalone version for Saga that will provide you with all the files you need to play the game.

gevatter Lars said:
Demo Release: Its close...I can taste it.

if it is a quote, you should point to the source of origin :)

@ChrisReid: Demo is not a very nic edescription of what we are making, it is, as Lars said, a prologue, an introduction of main characters, it explains why we are here, and most importantly, it introduces you to the the game flow.

This will also help us collect such important information as more exact hardware requirements. If people enjoyed the game they might want to buy new hardware in the expectation of the release. For one I can tell you now, the main package will have higher requirements, due to the number of cap ships used in missions. The game shows what we never actually saw in any WC game, large scaled cap ships battles.

Finally, we are putting a lot of work into this release, over 1 hour of recorded speech in high quality, I am sure you will enjoy it! :)

oh, and Pani, I have received your mail, I was out of town past the last few days with no i net access :)

You won't fly any stuf from Action Stations, by the time WCSaga takes place, all the ships featuredthere are already out of service.

Don't give them any hopes that we do the other timelines...that would give us a lot of work again ^_^
Just kidding we allready have some other TL ships.

ME said:
i want to fly this stuff....

Tolwyn said:
For one I can tell you now, the main package will have higher requirements, due to the number of cap ships used in missions. The game shows what we never actually saw in any WC game, large scaled cap ships battles.

I meant the battles, the big battles.... ;)

This prologue . . . not to harp, but you keep saying "very close". I realize this is a common and annoying question, but are we talking "very close" as in days, weeks, months? You guys know internally how much work is left to do in the prologue. Standoff was able to say "We're going to try out best to have it out by this date" eventually. Any chance you guys will do the same?

Very close is...very close. It's practiacally ready but there are a few aspects that could furhter delay the release, but hopefully that won't happen. You'll get a definite release date when we're absolutely sure. You'll surely wait a few days rather than get a halfassed release.

Back