I've finished....

MuffinMan

Spaceman
...Standoff today :(. All in Nightmare mode, except the Sacrifice mission

Very good job guys, best free game mod ever in the world (well..Mechwarrior Living legends is excellent but has no single offline campaign).

Looking forwards for more ....mods :)

Have you gone back and done the losing path missions as well?

There are separate branches for Eps 3-5.

I highly recommend playing the losing path missions. A lot of them provide a better challenge than the winning path missions, and many of them are simply a lot of fun to play. It reminds me a lot of how the losing path missions in WC1 were very enjoyable too.

I highly recommend playing the losing path missions. A lot of them provide a better challenge than the winning path missions, and many of them are simply a lot of fun to play. It reminds me a lot of how the losing path missions in WC1 were very enjoyable too.

I second this. I played every mission in the game when I was making the branching guide (usually on several different difficulty levels), and I thought, on average, the losing path missions were more fun than the winning path missions. Four of my five favorite missions in the whole game are losing path.

Alright. Finished the winning path a few weeks back. When I go back to replay the losing path in my next playthrough, I gotta know: do we get to meet Maniac at any point? When Blair showed up, I was way too excited. I'm not sure where Maniac was during the Battle of Earth, or if he was accounted for at all, but I can't hear "more kitty litter, I'm hot today" too many times. Go Biff Tannen!

Maniac, Maniac... hmm, no. At least, I don't seem to recall a Maniac cameo. Had there been one, it would certainly have been on the winning path.

Yeah, I think a full list of canon Wing Commander characters appearing in Standoff would be Admiral Terrell (by e-mail only), Commodore Reismann, Admiral Tolwyn, Dirk "Stingray" Wright, Christopher "Maverick" Blair, Etienne "Doomsday" Monclair, and Jacob "Hawk" Manley (uncredited, as "Sierra 2") on one side, and... a variety of Kilrathi aces, including but not limited to Thrakhath nar Kiranka, Bhuk "Bloodmist" nar Hhallas, Dakhath "Deathstroke" nar Cakxi, and Najji "Fireclaw" nar Ragitagha. Any others?

PS Can you tell that cat aces are pretty unmemorable to me?

PS Can you tell that cat aces are pretty unmemorable to me?

WC1 was the only one where they made a big deal out of the aces (with the exception of Thrakhath and, to a lesser extent, Khasra in WC2). I was kinda disappointed that the sequels didn't put more about the aces into the rumor mill on ship, if nothing else. It would've made the aces more memorable. Although the fact that Deathstroke is the only ace from WC1 still around is impressive, especially cuz he's flying around in that Bullseye

Although the fact that Deathstroke is the only ace from WC1 still around is impressive, especially cuz he's flying around in that Bullseye
He's not though, if you look, the two Deathstrokes are of different clans. WC 1 is Dakhath nar Sihkag, WC 3 is not of the Sihkag clan, but I can't find my copy of Victory Streak or the Kilrathi Saga to get his name

I think it is like that:
- WC1 doesn't give a last name at all.
- Super Wing Commander (which did A LOT of things differently) came up with nar Sihkag, but SWC wasn't even developed by the same guys. So if you take the Origin WC games as no.1 priority, (which I do) you don't even have a last name for him until WC3.
- In WC3 it is said he is nar Caxki.
- The KS manual calls him Sihkag again.

Ok, wait, I think I was wrong (also sorry for the double post, I can't edit my post again....)
In Victory Streak he isn't mentioned at all.

EDIT: I can edit again now... The nar Caxki came from the WC Arena manual (Star Soldier).
Star Soldier even states that he is the second one.

- Super Wing Commander (which did A LOT of things differently) came up with nar Sihkag, but SWC wasn't even developed by the same guys. So if you take the Origin WC games as no.1 priority, (which I do) you don't even have a last name for him until WC3.

Woah there, I think you've been misinformed about Super Wing Commander. SWC was done by Origin in Austin... and, in fact, it shares a lot more DNA with Wing Commander III than the original game does. Artists, programmers and testers who got their start on Super Wing Commander went on to run things on Wing Commander III and IV... while most of the Wing Commander I team had moved on by that time.

That said, the nar Sihkag reference actually comes from the updated version of Claw Marks included with the Sega CD port of Wing Commander I and it was then included in both of the Super Wing Commander versions of the manual.

- The KS manual calls him Sihkag again.

The Kilrathi Saga manual actually has both aces. Dakhath nar Sihkag on page 43, Dakhath nar Caxki on page 69.

In Victory Streak he isn't mentioned at all.

EDIT: I can edit again now... The nar Caxki came from the WC Arena manual (Star Soldier).
Star Soldier even states that he is the second one.

No, you were right the first time, the nar Caxki comes from the aces list in Victory Streak.

The KSaga manual is most interesting in this regard, because it contains profiles for Dakhath both in 2654 and 2669... and Dakhath is Sihkag in one, then Caxki in the other.

It's one of those unsolved mysteries that a fan could create an interesting story around (or could simply ignore - it doesn't need to be solved :) ). Is it the same Dakhath, who for some reason changed his clan allegiance between the games? Or is it that the Dakhath nar Sihkag died, but was so famous that another Kilrathi, also named Dakhath, but from the Caxki clan, decided to imitate him? Note that it's the behaviour, not the callsign, that establishes some kind of link between them. The WC1 manual explains that Dakhath literally translates into Deathstroke, so it's not a stretch to see another Dakhath being referred to as Deathstroke. And we can imagine that amongst the Kilrathi, repetition of names is as common as it is amogst humans.

Of course, there is another alternative, perhaps the most prosaic one - WC1 predates Hobbes' defection. It is noted in the WC3 manual that Hobbes became a crucial source of information about the Kilrathi (and one of the books - WC4, I think - also mentions that a lot of the information Hobbes gave to Confed Intel turned out to be false). So, the change of clans could simply be related to an information update.

Argh, I mixed SWC with the SNES port I think, because of the "Super". The latter one wasn't done by Origin IIRC.

And... the version of Victory Streak I have on my PC (dunno where I got it) doesn't even have Dakhath in it at all. Are there different versions?
I have to check my German Victory Streak at home again whether it is in there.

EDIT: it seems my digital Victory Streak is a 3DO one....

As for the explanations:
S*S states clearly that he took the name. I think that's a pity because I liked the explanation with the changing clans better. Sihkag is a clan that is not very popular with most Kilrathi and I imagine someone as cool as Dakhath would be offered to change his clan. The Caxki are famous for their aggressive attitude and Dakhath certainly fits there.

S*S states clearly that he took the name. I think that's a pity because I liked the explanation with the changing clans better. Sihkag is a clan that is not very popular with most Kilrathi and I imagine someone as cool as Dakhath would be offered to change his clan. The Caxki are famous for their aggressive attitude and Dakhath certainly fits there.
Yes, but can you imagine what changing clans might entail in Kilrathi society? It's not like going from Real Madrid to Arsenal Manchester or something. The Kilrathi owe total allegiance to their clan leader - if he orders a Kilrathi to kill himself, that's exactly what will happen. That's not the sort of allegiance you can easily renounce.

That's right, and that's also why I think it could have been a pretty darn cool backstory. It would have been something the leige lords decided, and not the kil himself.

It would have had to have been something the Emperor himself had decided, I would think. It would be an interesting story, but a difficult one to get right. How would a Kilrathi feel about his personal oath of allegiance being invalidated? Would he secretly still consider himself loyal to the Sihkag? Anyway, it's a moot point in this case, since they're two separate people - but hey, if you create a Kilrathi character for your mod who goes through this, it'll certainly be an interesting one to see.

Back