I've Created a WC4 HD Video Pack

Hi @Netsab - many thanks, and welcome to the forums! Thank you also for subscribing to my YouTube channel :)

I'd be more than happy to mux together a French version of the WC3 videos - I just don't have the audio!

If you have any way of getting the French audio to me, it wouldn't take long to put a French version together :)

Could you extract the sound from original discs ?
You can find them here : https://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf_abandon/ltf_jeu.php?id=764&fic=liens

But just to be sure, even if you can make it, we can't play with it, isn't it ?

I find a way to extract .MVE files from .TRE files, do you need i do it for you or the sources I linked above are enough ?

OK, so cool, so thank you.
and for the in-game restoration FMV like WC4, is not possible for WC3, isn't ?

OK, so cool, so thank you.
and for the in-game restoration FMV like WC4, is not possible for WC3, isn't ?
Sorry, forgot that question.

Not at the moment, no - the GOG and Origin releases of WC3 are both DOS versions of the game (running in DOSbox on modern systems), so there's no way to program in a hook to get it to play modern video formats.

There have been some rumblings in the community of modifying the Kilrathi Saga version of the game's executable to create a patch that could do this (since the Kilrathi Saga versions of all the games ran natively as Windows 95 applications). However, I'm afraid that's beyond my skill set and I don't believe anyone's currently working on it.

Sorry for the question ... but it is possible to use the WCToolBox to integrate the Wing Commander 3 HDMoviePack into the game ?? just a Idea

Sorry for the question ... but it is possible to use the WCToolBox to integrate the Wing Commander 3 HDMoviePack into the game ?? just a Idea

I'm afraid just cramming the data in there wouldn't be of any help. The resolution and bitrate of the HD formats would be completely incompatible with the proprietary video playback tech of the original game.

This is why we'd need a modified Kilrathi Saga executable to integrate the videos. If the game was running as a Windows native application, rather than under DOS emulation, we could tie in to modern APIs, drivers and codecs to play the videos. There's no way a DOS application could even recognise h.264/h.265 videos, let alone play them.

I find a way to extract .MVE files from .TRE files, do you need i do it for you or the sources I linked above are enough ?
Damn, sorry - I forgot I used the Playstation versions because the PC CD-ROM version videos are unusable.

I'm afraid I'd need the videos from a French Playstation version of the game to get the audio streams to match up with the video streams.

Damn, sorry - I forgot I used the Playstation versions because the PC CD-ROM version videos are unusable.

I'm afraid I'd need the videos from a French Playstation version of the game to get the audio streams to match up with the video streams.
Why can't you use audio from pc version ? I extract videos from TRE files, videos is kind of glitchy but audio is OK
I'm searching for ps1 rom any way

Why can't you use audio from pc version ? I extract videos from TRE files, videos is kind of glitchy but audio is OK
I'm searching for ps1 rom any way
Because the number of videos and naming of the video files is different. I'd have to spend an absolute age comparing several hundred video files against each other to match them up. And then since they were formatted differently, the audio and video durations may not match.

Because the number of videos and naming of the video files is different. I'd have to spend an absolute age comparing several hundred video files against each other to match them up. And then since they were formatted differently, the audio and video durations may not match.
Ok, that's mean if one day, we can hack wc3 to use custom videos, we won't be able to use your restoration job because of PS1 version?

Ok, that's mean if one day, we can hack wc3 to use custom videos, we won't be able to use your restoration job because of PS1 version?
That's an issue I plan to tackle as and when a hack becomes available. There are fewer videos in the PC CD-ROM version, so I'd need to track down which ones align with the PSX versions and name them accordingly. It'll be a big job, but one worth doing if/when we have a patch :)

That's an issue I plan to tackle as and when a hack becomes available. There are fewer videos in the PC CD-ROM version, so I'd need to track down which ones align with the PSX versions and name them accordingly. It'll be a big job, but one worth doing if/when we have a patch :)
The numbering of the videos should still line up but there's a totally different way that the PC version indexes the videos vs the PSX version. The MVE files in the PC version include all alternate parts of the video vs the PSX version that has every video portion a separate file. Where the PC version has a SC_6.mve that includes all parts of that scene, the PSX version has SC_006a.wve SC_OO6b.wve and SC_006c.wve . How exactly the game references which parts of the mve files to play would have to be researched, and then someone would either have to patch in a way to tell the game how to find the right files, or we'd have to go through all the videos, and paste all the parts of a scene together in the right order with the right information so that the game pulls out the right part at the right time.

The numbering of the videos should still line up but there's a totally different way that the PC version indexes the videos vs the PSX version. The MVE files in the PC version include all alternate parts of the video vs the PSX version that has every video portion a separate file. Where the PC version has a SC_6.mve that includes all parts of that scene, the PSX version has SC_006a.wve SC_OO6b.wve and SC_006c.wve . How exactly the game references which parts of the mve files to play would have to be researched, and then someone would either have to patch in a way to tell the game how to find the right files, or we'd have to go through all the videos, and paste all the parts of a scene together in the right order with the right information so that the game pulls out the right part at the right time.
That's not gonna be fun

That's what my wife says!

(This is a joke I roll out very often) 😝
Classic ! ;-)

To be honest, i think something is missing. In France, WC5 was NOT dubbed, because of bad sales of WC4 it seems...
So videos were subtitled, but I don't know if it was embedded or linked to text files.

Last edited:
Classic ! ;-)

To be honest, i think something is missing. In France, WC5 was dubbed, because of bad sales of WC4 it seems...
So videos were subtitled, but I don't know if it was embedded or link to text files.

Yeah, I just muxed the French audio in with my existing HD remaster footage from the English PSX videos. I didn't upscale all the footage again! 😝

No sorry, i was talking about Prophecy which is NOT (I forgot the word in my previous post) dubbed in France, just subtitled

Back