I've Created a WC4 HD Video Pack

what is your hardware ? what resolution do you use ? latest DX12/updates, anything else, from a clean install the video etc runs perfect on both Windows 7 and 10 on my side, I use 64 bit editions.

did you install Pedro's OpenGL package ?

FWIW I did not delete the GLide wrapper, only added HCL WCP Enhancement pack, did not overwrite the executible.

I also installed k-lite codec pack and moved the new movie files to the Movie folder under the game install.

I think I gave admin rights and disabled the win98 compatibility too (for all users )

For now I suggest running the old 3DFX version if you can after installing the WCPHiRes patch. OpenGL is just broken with DVD movies for me.
Sadly the patch isn't working for me on super wide even on 3DFX, everything is stretched out. Somehow I'll try and find time to look into the cause of the OpenGL issues.

Last edited:
Some interesting results...
I installed WCP on my 7 year old windows8.1 laptop, which is of course no powerhouse compared to my desktop (but it does have an 'ok' gpu for its time), installed the enhancements the same way I did on my desktop, same OpenGL settings, and the HD movie pack works fine!

Oddly enough, on my laptop, it's the DVD pack that doesn't work well, it plays them in a very tiny frame in the corner of the screen. But I don't really care about figuring that out since the HD movies don't have that issue.

I do get my mouse stuck in the middle of the screen with the higher quality movies on either machine, but I'll save that for another thread since it seems to be not specific to the hd video pack.

Hi @Pies,

That's interesting. That would seem to suggest it's a hardware incompatability or software setting on your desktop that's causing the issues. I'm sure endless tinkering with hardware and codec settings would eventually yield results, but there are so many possibilites, I couldn't even hazard a guess at what it could be. At least you have it working on one machine, though :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WING COMMANDER CIC!

To celebrate, I have new versions of all my HD Packs and a whole host of funky new trailers!

All of these got their official premieres during the CIC Birthday party, but I thought I'd add them here for reference or for anyone who couldn't make it to the party.

Wing Commander IV HD Pack V5.0 - Definitive Edition

• All FMV footage remastered to 1080p Full HD using Machine Learning AI (highest quality yet!)
  • Low frame rate sequences remastered to full 30fps using Machine Learning AI
  • Aspect ratio of all footage fixed to standard 16:9
  • Missing audio from various DVD-version sequences restored (in full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound where possible)
  • French and German packs available (Stereo audio only)
  • Custom batch file launcher for French and German packs (wc4dvd_FR.bat and wc4dvd_DE.bat respectively) included. Use these to launch the game with French or German UI enabled (tool tips, mission briefings, pilot bios, ship loadouts etc.)
  • Release notes document included (NEW!)
English

Deutsche

Français

Many thanks to Rufus Shinra and @wiese.hano for providing French and German translations of the release notes!

Wing Commander III HD Pack V2.0
  • All FMV footage remastered to 1080p Full HD using Machine Learning AI (highest quality yet!)
  • 15fps frame rate remastered to full 30fps using Machine Learning AI throughout
  • Improved contrast balance in all footage
  • Video compression optimised (now a single 3.8GB zip file)
Download

Wing Commander Prophecy HD Pack V4.0
  • DVD Interlacing removed from all footage
  • Missing scenes restored and remastered from CD-ROM edition
  • English and German packs available
English

Deutsche

I also re-rendered the official WCIV Theatrical Trailer using the new HD Pack V5.0 footage:

So again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WING COMMANDER CIC and HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY WING COMMANDER FRANCHISE! Here's to many more decades of fun times with this vibrant community 😄

Well done ODWS !!! I like to try to fix the full HD cutscene resulution bug on Prophecy:

and add Force Feedback support.

Can you please send me the source code of this dll:

wcphr.dll

Thanks !!

Well done ODWS !!! I like to try to fix the full HD cutscene resulution bug on Prophecy:

and add Force Feedback support.

Can you please send me the source code of this dll:

wcphr.dll

Thanks !!

If we had it it would have been fixed already.

Hi Pedro,

Thank you for your response.

Have you any source code of only one DLL inside Wing Commander Prophecy ?

I like to hook Dinput to add Force Feedback support.

Thank you !

Hi Pedro,

Thank you !

I follow the news of WC4 remastered and seem very very interested.

For your personal opinion do you think will be ready within 2022 /2023 ?

Or you think need more time ?

Nice work again @ODVS, each time squeezing every inch of quality out possible.

@marco999 the unlimited patch can load your dll. Make your own using the dllentry to call your code and put the name of the dll in to wcpunl.ini

Nice work again @ODVS, each time squeezing every inch of quality out possible.

@marco999 the unlimited patch can load your dll. Make your own using the dllentry to call your code and put the name of the dll in to wcpunl.ini

Many thanks ìgr1mre4per,

Where I can download the the last unlimited patch (Model Upgrade Pack) with the file:

wcpunl.dll ?

Thanks !

Hi everyone .. is it possible to develop a Wing Commander III DVD exe file ..
with this great HD video pack ..
exactly like a Wing Commander 4 DVD exe file? would be really great .. if an experienced programmer can provide that here

that's what we've all been waiting for ... for many years ... a perfect Wing Commander 3 DVD edition

Last edited:
Hi @marco999 - I'm afraid I didn't do any programming for these mods - I just remastered the videos. I hope you get the help you need from the community, though :)

@Maze59077 - yes, that would be ideal - but there isn't currently a medthod to get them to play back in-game. There has been some talk that it would be possible by modding the WC3 Kilrathi Saga executable, since that was developed to run under Win95 - but nothing yet.

Hi everyone .. it is possible to develop a Wing Commander III DVD exe file ..
with this great HD video pack ..
exactly like a Wing Commander 4 DVD exe file? would be really great .. if an experienced programmer can provide that here

that's what we've all been waiting for ... for many years ... a perfect Wing Commander 3 DVD edition

With time I'm confident we'll acheive this (Not me personally but fans in general). There's some differences between the way the PC version of WC3 and the PSX handle the alternate choices in the videos, but overall I'm sure it's something that's very doable.

With time I'm confident we'll acheive this (Not me personally but fans in general). There's some differences between the way the PC version of WC3 and the PSX handle the alternate choices in the videos, but overall I'm sure it's something that's very doable.

That particular issue we already resolved for the WC4 remake; it supports WC3 movie files and the file names come from the extracted PSX movie lookup file.
The way WC3 PSX handles branching is exactly the same as WC4 DVD (files A, B, C, D etc).

Hi Pedro,

Thank you !

I follow the news of WC4 remastered and seem very very interested.

For your personal opinion do you think will be ready within 2022 /2023 ?

Or you think need more time ?

Depends on a lot of external factors.
Firstly we could really use a tools programmer; finding a good one would shave a year off the project.
Next is progress on the wctoolbox, it's already shaved off a good 4 months or so I'd say; it could shave off the better part of a year if support for console versions of the comms videos and stuff like that are added.

2022 if we find extra volunteers. 2024 is most likely at the current pace.
The good news is that after that a WC3 remake could be done in about a year

Ok I took a look into where the issues are occurring; the DVD window seems to be creating a window larger that your screen (probably bordered) and it's doing that as a child window.

But the latest version uses a borderless window if you select windowed mode. So until I have a proper fix you can try this: go into OGLSetup.exe, set the resolution to match your monitors current resolution, and then tick "windowed".

It's not ideal but you can play the game full screen with movies. Having tracked down the cause it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a workaround with a borderless fullscreen mode.

Last edited:
Back