I've Created a WC4 HD Video Pack

Appreciate the offer, @BloodHounder, but it sounds like it's a dead-end. It's OK, though - happy to say my home-brew Dolby track is near-indistiguishable from the originals 😄

Great 👍
Just checked my original DVD (labeled WC4 2.0) and can confirm ADs comment - Audio is missing. I was hoping my "european edition" could have been different.

Great 👍
Just checked my original DVD (labeled WC4 2.0) and can confirm ADs comment - Audio is missing. I was hoping my "european edition" could have been different.

Thanks for checking, @-KRRU-Dominus :)

Glad to know my audio-editing-efforts weren't in vain. It's honestly astonishing how slap-dash the DVD edition was in terms of quality control. Still, that's given me reason to work on [[REDACTED - SECRET PROJECT]] 😄

Just wanted to say thank you to ODVS - I randomly decided to play WCP this afternoon and started wondering what it would be like if there was a remaster of the game.

Well, a quick google search brought me here to see the great work that's been done on the WC videos. I'm downloading as we speak!

OK, so I've downloaded the game via GOG
Installed HCL WCP enhancement package (without rewriting propechy.exe)
Installed the most up to date OpenGL from Pedro
Installed k-lite codec pack
Moved files into a Movie file in the Prophecy
Disabled win98 compatibility
Right clicked Prophecy.exe and running as Admin

And unfortunately I'm getting audio from the cutscenes, but only a grey screen.

Any ideas how I fix this?

Just wanted to say thank you to ODVS - I randomly decided to play WCP this afternoon and started wondering what it would be like if there was a remaster of the game.

Well, a quick google search brought me here to see the great work that's been done on the WC videos. I'm downloading as we speak!

Thank you, @CactusJon!

Unfortunately I'm getting audio from the cutscenes, but only a grey screen.

Any ideas how I fix this?

Off the top of my head I'm afraid not - buy maybe we can narrow it down:

First, have you installed the DVD Movie Upgrade Patch? (I appreciate this is probably the HCl enhancement package you mentioned above, but just checking).

If so, does playback work in-game if you download the Origin Systems DVD Movie Pack and place them in your "Movie" folder? (For testing purposes, you could download just part 1 and only put the first few videos into your Movie folder to see if they play back in-game).

If so, do my HD videos play back properly in-game for you if you rename the file extensions from .mp4 to .VOB? (Again, you could rename just the first few files for testing purposes).

If not, can you definitely play the files from the HD video pack outside the game (ie. in VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic Home Cinema or some other application)?

Please let me know on the above points and maybe we can figure out how to get this working for you :)

Thank you, @CactusJon!

Off the top of my head I'm afraid not - buy maybe we can narrow it down:

First, have you installed the DVD Movie Upgrade Patch? (I appreciate this is probably the HCl enhancement package you mentioned above, but just checking).

If so, does playback work in-game if you download the Origin Systems DVD Movie Pack and place them in your "Movie" folder? (For testing purposes, you could download just part 1 and only put the first few videos into your Movie folder to see if they play back in-game).

If so, do my HD videos play back properly in-game for you if you rename the file extensions from .mp4 to .VOB? (Again, you could rename just the first few files for testing purposes).

If not, can you definitely play the files from the HD video pack outside the game (ie. in VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic Home Cinema or some other application)?

Please let me know on the above points and maybe we can figure out how to get this working for you :)

Hi

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

I have managed to get it working (everything looks great!).

I'm fairly illiterate when it comes to computers, but I think it has something to do with me changing something in RegEdit before I downloaded your files.
I downloaded the game from GOG a few months back and when I first started playing it there was a mouse cursor stuck in the middle of the screen. I googled it at the time and found the following fix which includes deleting an entry from RegEdit:

After trying and failing to use the HD files, I decided to start from scratch and reinstall everything. Thankfully this worked, but the mouse cursor was back again. I followed the same instructions to remove it as before, went back to play the game and found that the files had stopped working once more.
I've reinstalled again and its all working as it should be. :D

Thanks again for your great work on this - the cutscenes look fantastic!

Hi all,

I've actually got several Wing Commander projects on the go at the moment, but I got side-tracked by an idea I had last night that I thought I'd tinker with this evening.

This is a very rough first experiment using DAIN AI (Depth-Aware video frame INterpolation) to smooth out the animation of the intro sequence for Wing Commander Academy. As well as doing my usual Deep Learning/AI upscale on the footage, I've used DAIN to attempt to smooth out the duplicate frames that were so common in budget-conscious 80s/90s Saturday Morning cartoons, which make the animation look choppy.

I'd call it a partial success - several sequences are considerably smoother, but since this was really a quick first experiment, there are many interpolation artefacts and other glitches that would need to be ironed out.

Ah. YouTube just informed me that due to copyright claims, this video is being blocked in the USA and Canada. Sorry, North American Wingnuts!

1597180947442.png
1597181040087.png

Looks great, upscales even better; but doesn't handle motion so well as live action scenes.
Ah well, there isn't much depth for the AI to latch on to - also, this was a really quick test run. I didn't optimise the settings or test multiple methods - I literally chucked it through on the defaults to see what would happen. This is really just a proof of concept.

Last edited:
Ah. YouTube just informed me that due to copyright claims, this video is being blocked in the USA and Canada. Sorry, North American Wingnuts!
Bah, I find that disgusting given how much copyrighted material is on there that I think probably shouldn't be. Well, normally the inverse is true for me - I'm being blocked because I'm not in the US.

Looks great, upscales even better; but doesn't handle motion so well as live action scenes.
I was going to say something similar. It seems to clean the lines nicely but I definitely see some blocky artefacts in fast-changing scenes. I know, it's only a PoC, and given the legal notice certainly not worth investing more effort into.

Back