It sure took long enough...

capi3101

Admiral
...but the missus has finally agreed to let us upgrade the home box (on account of the old one giving up the ghost a few months back and with the Heinekenphage raising the need for additional terminals in the house). Last time that happened my eldest child was still crawling.

Ideally, I'd like to replace it with a rig capable of fulfilling my long-standing goal of being able to consider booting up Star Citizen. I won't be building this rig myself and I think I'd prefer a laptop to a desktop. Latest recommended specs from RSI are:

OS Windows 10 (Latest Service Pack)
CPU Quad Core CPU
GPU DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 4+ GB Ram
Memory 16+ GB DDR4
Storage 60 GB SSD

Do any of y'all know of a good brand on the market that at least meets all of those specs? Price is the main limitation I have right now...I'm hoping not to go much above $1250 if it can be helped.

I found this on Microcenter Capi if you are considering a laptop.

Last edited:
I found this on Microcenter Capi if you are considering a laptop.

I am considering a laptop, thanks. Only issue I'd have with ordering from that particular site is that they specify in-store only and the closest store to where I am is the one in Dallas. I don't think I could justify a three hour drive to pick up a laptop especially given the Coorsflu...

Does give me something to shoot for though, so I appreciate it. With the specs listed that one damn near looks perfect, especially if I can get it at that price point.

I am considering a laptop, thanks. Only issue I'd have with ordering from that particular site is that they specify in-store only and the closest store to where I am is the one in Dallas. I don't think I could justify a three hour drive to pick up a laptop especially given the Coorsflu...

Does give me something to shoot for though, so I appreciate it. With the specs listed that one damn near looks perfect, especially if I can get it at that price point.

ASUS new TUF ... It seems this series is very popular recently. Depending on the sales area, they have different configurations and maybe even names. Generally speaking, they have AMD's new CPU equipped together with a decent performance-level Nvidia GPU. Pretty good laptop(s). There are only two main shortcomings I can think of:

1. The Display. It is a 120Hz gaming IPS display panel, which is pretty good, but with only 45% NTSC color space. Generally speaking, if you don't need to do color related things, an "average" display may be sufficient. However, I felt the same way back then, until recently I started learning coloring. The 45% NTSC TN panel is bothersome sometimes. 🤨 A 45% NTSC IPS panel may be much better, but afterall 45% is 45%.

2. There is NO USB-C port! This is probably the biggest problem. Actually it is better to have a Thunderbolt 3 port on the laptop, so that you could even connect a desktop GPU in the future. Since it has a GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB, no Thunderbolt 3 ... it is acceptable. But no USB-C port in 2020 is a bit too ... limited, I guess. Given that, maybe ASUS TUF Gaming A15 ( https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15/specifications/ , review https://www.ultrabookreview.com/36108-asus-tuf-gaming-fa506iv-review/ ) is better? (Also 45% NTSC and no Thunderbolt 3, but with a USB-C 3.1 Gen2 port)

I'm not an expert in choosing laptops. The above suggestions are for reference only. 😉

Last edited:
Back