Is UE out yet

Using my server to host the download...

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
No, not 120 Mb... 80 Mb for a complete package. Pedro was saying there may be a 40 Mb download containing only the essential files (no movies or speech)+ another package containing only the movies and speech. Depends of the demand and of the server space/bandwith we can find.

I've got a derilict server that's sitting just waiting to be utilized. The thing's got quite a bit of time left on it and a huge bandwidth due to the fact my clan isn't using it any more. I'd be glad to host the download on http://www.nolimitclan.com. Just let me know if you folks would like the relevant FTP information and you can log in and upload the thing for retrieval at your leasure. :D Don't sweat the bandwidth and transfer size, it's no big. I'd be pleased to be a mirror... LOL. If there's a charge for the transfer cost I suppose I could foot it. (But then again I wouldn't expect/want my server to be the only one out there).

Leaving the computer on overnight may or may not be an option, that's what bothers me. But I'm just an isolated case, I think.

Well, the most basic UE should only take about 21 mb, and we definitely want that version to be up, if space permits. It's the speech, music, and movies that take up the other 60mb :p. You should look for a download program of some sort, Wedge - that way, you wouldn't need to download all of it at once.

And yeah, Antix, we'll definitely be contacting you ;).

Originally posted by Wedge009
:cough: 80 MB? Yikes, I hope I can manage - I've never downloaded anything larger than 12 MB in a single file. :(

Get a DL menager. Freshdownload (IIRC the name correct) from Freshdevices (again IIRC) is free and and ad free as well for example.

Well, we could have people use Kazaa, WinMX or similar to distribute it if server space is an issue. I know I have the bandwidth to have people leeching that file off of me even if dorm regs dont permit me to have a server up. :cool:

Also, to make sure that EVERYONE get Secret Ops, we can name it as some type of illicit file so everyone and their uncle will get it, making downloads for those that actually USE it that much faster once UE infiltrates the worldwide Warez network. :D

Quarto 21MB wouldn't include the music, no one is going to play in silence, unless you want to make a package which utilises the SO techno i don't think we want to consider it.

can u put the speech movie sound and basic all as seperate files for easier downloads plus that would make things easier or just e-mail UE to some ppl

Will UE have the hi-res patch included in the install package or will I need to download and install that beforehand?

Originally posted by Pedro
Quarto 21MB wouldn't include the music, no one is going to play in silence, unless you want to make a package which utilises the SO techno i don't think we want to consider it.

My musical opinion:
Extra Work = Setting game to use SO Techno
SO Techno = Bad for UE
Therefore:
Extra Work = Bad for UE :p

We don't want to use the SO Techno. Trust me on this.

However (while I'm biased), Pedro is right, no one would want to play without music. To me it's an essential file.

I say we put up a full download package, an essentials package, an upgrade from the essentials to the full, and all the tres seperately, as long as we have the server space and bandwidth to do it.

The hi-res patch (and several others) are fully integrated in the UE DLLs, no extra downloads will be necessary :)

Mario

Cool. Thanks HCl. On a related note, is the current version of the patch on your website the one with the 32bit support (with the improved view distances)?
Your work has made SO such great fun to play. The game keeps on looking better and better thanks to you and everyone else involved.

BTW, contgrats on making UE what it will be. Its going to be fantastic

I just downloaded it myself, the file appears to be fine. Make sure the download didn't break halfway through, it should be 8,804,128 bytes large.

(edit) Version 3 of the high-res patch includes 32-bit D3D mode and the distance patches :)

Originally posted by Needaham45
Pedro is right, no one would want to play without music. To me it's an essential file.

Well, i didn´t play WCP or SO with music (basically because the music was,IMHO, pretty bad), and i think that i will play UE without music.

Originally posted by Ghost
Well, i didn´t play WCP or SO with music (basically because the music was,IMHO, pretty bad), and i think that i will play UE without music.

Well thats just scary and I refuse to let you ruin UE for yourself in such an unforgiveable manner :mad:

First of all, thanks Pedro for speaking so highly of the music.

Second... Ghost... if you hated WCP and WCSO's music.. give UE's a try. I didn't care too much for WCP, and SO was just stylistically... well... not WC (and I don't like techno... so I didn't like it as music either). UE is much much much much much much MUCH different. It goes back to the more orchestral style of the WCs before WCP and WCSO. If you have the time/space/ability to dl it... at least give it a try... that's all I ask.

Originally posted by Pedro
Well thats just scary and I refuse to let you ruin UE for yourself in such an unforgiveable manner :mad:
It's not your choice to make, and don't assume it will ruin his experience. I'd be very worried indeed if music was all that UE had going for it, but I know that's not the case :). Besides, you can't force someone to play with music - there's always the volume control in the game.

We will have the basic package with no music, no movies, and no speech. We will also have an upgrade package, and the full package. We're not forcing people to play without music - they can download the upgrade. But we're also not going to force the people with bad connections to give up on UE just because we felt like boosting the basic package's size by 22 mb worth of music. That makes sense to me :).

Back