Is there or will there be a WC remake in modern 3D engine?

frui

Rear Admiral
I haven’t been here for quite some while and I have lost track of every thing. Can anyone give me an explicit answer? Thanks!

Well...Howard day has his wing leader project which is remaking classic wc1 in unity, and Pedro is working on a wc4 remake in his own engine.

Nothing offical (yet) but from the fans the most complete project is the Wing Commander Prophecy Model Upgrade Pack:

That's the same engine, but with updated assets and renderer

Much earlier in development are:

Wing Leader: Howie Days WC1 style project
My and Defiances WCIV remake

Thank you all for the answer. Looks like there are really few to expect.
Just wish the whole series would be redone in Star Citizen engine , and played in VR!

Thank you all for the answer. Looks like there are really few to expect.
Just wish the whole series would be redone in Star Citizen engine , and played in VR!

The fan community generally tends to avoid doing things in other space combat engines as capturing the feel is one of the most important elements; hence the majority of projects being done in the prophecy vision engine, and the two remakes being done from the ground up.

But there is an exception to that rule; WC Saga which is FreeSpace 2; FS2 is open source so it might have eventually captured the WC feel; I've not checked it out since its early days:

Besides which who knows if star citizen will ever release. Even if it does with this kind of timeline for release I’m not anticipating a pleasant experience modding it.

The WCIV project supports VR.

Last edited:
Question: Is there or will there be a WC remake in modern 3D engine?

Other than DefianceIndustries' and Pedro's answers I don't know. I do think that Wing Leader looks incredible! Maybe the next Wing Commander will come from a slightly different direction. One low cost, low risk, nostalgia embracing approach would be to make the SNES and Sega Wing Commanders readily available (hopefully including Wing Commander II). Basically what Disney is doing with Aladdin and the Lion King

Apparently being developed by Digital Eclipse and priced at $30

In fact, why wouldn't EA bring out a whole line of these? Desert/Jungle/Urban Strikes, sports simulators, military simulators, etc.

Last edited:

One issue is 2D platformers had peaked; even to this day going back to those titles doesn't feel weird as New Super Mario Bros feels no different to the original.
3D games were in their infancy; and the SNES wasn't the best way to play those titles by a long shot. I think if they went back to the source they might be able to modernize them; but it's hard to go back to anything earlier than Prophecy for me. That's where the series ended and all the missing features and absence of the smooth flight mechanics makes returning to earlier titles far harder than returning to most classic SNES titles.
I'd really want something that captured the nostalgia but not the original product.

Also ouch ;)

Last edited:
The Wing Commander IV Fan Remake looks incredible too of course! I haven't played Saga yet but hope to.

Good points about 2D platformers and early 3D games.

I had forgotten about EA Replay. Maybe it was ahead of its time in 2006 and the Playstation Portable didn't have the right demographics?

I had forgotten about EA Replay. Maybe it was ahead of its time in 2006 and the Playstation Portable didn't have the right demographics?

Maybe; no shortage of old ports on the Switch right now. I'd certainly welcome something like the DOOM or Turok ports on switch; without at least that level of update it'd be hard to justify.

Back