Is there an advantage to either of the versions of Wing Commander 3?

wiese.hano

1st Lieutenant
Since the hole Wing Commander franchise is on sale at GOG, I'm wondering if I should buy Wing Commander 3 which is availabe in German and I only own the Origin version. I'd like to grab it, but only if there was something special about it. That's why I want to ask you, if there's something special with the GOG version compared to the original CD version. Is there some benefit to either of the both?

There should not be any difference between all the digital releases available to date, they are all based on the DOS version of that game.

There was a Win95 version (which I prefer due to the music improvements) called Kilrathi Saga but aside from pirating at least parts of said version, it is basically unobtainable nowadays.

The GOG version does have a lot of digital extras (digitized hint books, manuals, novel, behind the scenes material) that aren't all included with the Origin version. But the games themselves are identical, Origin uses the version set up by GOG.

The WC3 Win95 edition was released as a standalone edition in Japan. It's also possible to convert a DOS edition copy of WC3 to the Win95 edition. It requires the 4 wc3music.tre files from WC: Kilrathi Saga as well as the wc3w.exe file, and some .dll libraries.

The WC3 Win95 edition was released as a standalone edition in Japan. It's also possible to convert a DOS edition copy of WC3 to the Win95 edition. It requires the 4 wc3music.tre files from WC: Kilrathi Saga as well as the wc3w.exe file, and some .dll libraries.
i've uploaded the conversion here with dgvoodoo in it

Back