Is there a German WCIV DVD Version?

THE_WUQKED

Spaceman
I've got the double sided WCIV DVD, but cause it's in English I started wondering whether there also is a German version available. I do not have a German version yet (only borrowed one from my M8 once), so even the single sided would be interesting for me.
And while I'm asking for a German Version: Is there also a German Kilrathi Saga available? If yes, does it include a german Speechpack for WC2? (This isn't so important for me, though)
Just want to be sure before I buy a German WCIV CD version ;)

Ok, Thx. As I guessed. - Would have been strange anyway, that I haven't seen one at ebay yet ;) But asking doesn't cost anything - at least here :D
So I'll try to get a WCIV CD-Version then.

Neither the single- nor the doublesided WC4 DVD exist in German AFAIK.
There should be a German version of the Kilrathi Saga. However IIRC it only has German manuals and a German WC3.

wow I just checked the exchange rates for Euros to USD and its roughly 1.2 euros to the dollar. so 800 euros would be about 964 dollars. Damn your makin some money.

Of course you could create a "mainly" German WC4DVD by using the WC-MoviePlayer to extract all the videos from the German CD-version, rip the audio from those files, replace the audio from the DVD-VOBs with that audio (OK, no surround... but it's German!), recompress them and burn a new DVD (or two) out of them.

It's as easy as taking candy from a baby... when its mother is watching.

Well...I'm not native english speaker but I really cannot understand why you would want a translated version. The joy of hearing original actor voices & lips synced is far more important for me than understanding every single word. Luckily my country is too small to afford to translate everything (we probably have like 10 actors or something :D) so I'm not used to translations anyway. While I've been against translations for a long time I recently read a post on /. that really made me mad (and now I need someone to read my rant :p). There was a talk on how much the simpsons actors actually deserve to be payed...someone wrote a comment they should find other actors anyway, since he always listens to translated voices and the voices themselves doesn't make him a fan. OMG, not hearing the original simpsons actors is missing 90% of the show! The same with WC4...how the hell are you gonna translate John Rhys-Davies' accent or the tone of Maniac's taunts...

Nope, that's not it - if you got used to the synchronized voices, you prefer them way over the original ones. And here in Germany the translated versions are in great quality, so that sometimes the original seems to be synchronized, although it isn't!
Btw, cause you mentioned the simpsons: I do not like the English voices but love the German ones - although I can understand both! Just the voices are way better in MY opinion. And no, the jokes are alsos till great etc ;) But that totally depends on yourself. And if you don't know well synchronized stuff, it's very hard to think that they could be good anyway.

THE_WUQKED said:
Nope, that's not it - if you got used to the synchronized voices, you prefer them way over the original ones. And here in Germany the translated versions are in great quality, so that sometimes the original seems to be synchronized, although it isn't!

Hmm, this is strange to hear... I have Wing Commander 3 and 4 in both versions, but I almost never play the German ones...

And btw, I think all you need is to install Kilrathi Saga. Then you can use your old German CDs. It worked with the English version (for me at least) ;)

Yes, I know that, but if there was a German KS version available, too, that would have been a nice alternative ;)
And I guess it depends on whether your first Wing Commander was german or English. Mine was German ;) - So the stress is on the "Got used to it"
And that sentence you quoted was mainly directed to synchronized stuff in general, not WC specific.

So, are there german versions of WC1, WC2, WC:Armada and Privateer? It's been so long since I've played them.

And by the way, I just LOVE German synchronization work... if I remember correctly Germany was placed first on translation and synchronization in some weird contest-thingy. I know it's hard to understand why you would want to hear the games dubbed in German, but when it comes to games as big as the Wing Commander series, the translation budget is pretty high, and you get the voices you know from the biggest blockbuster movies. Besides EA/Origin the only company that reaches that quality is THQ, the German publisher of LucasArts.

Laserschwert said:
So, are there german versions of WC1, WC2, WC:Armada and Privateer? It's been so long since I've played them.

No, Partially (only the base game, no speech or missions), No and No in that order AFAIK.
When talking PC versions of course. The Amiga had a German WC1 IIRC for example.

Regarding the discussion:
I started with English WCs as the early games hadn't been available otherwise. Then switched to German as soon as translations came up (WC3) if only because originals had been impossible to get.
Now that I have almost all parts of WC in both languages I only play the Englisch ones anymore. As long as I can understand the original language of a movie/book/game/... I'll pick that one over translations anytime. Even if German sync is usually fairly good.

Back