Wcdx - Kilrathi Saga for modern Windows

Yup, that's exactly right. When frame limiting was added to WC2 for Kilrathi Saga, the developers set a ridiculously high limit for cut scenes, and then tried to fix the timing by tweaking a bunch of values in the scripts. The results are not good. This is one of the reasons I haven't made much progress on WC2 yet; I want to find an approach that fixes this experience. Right now, I'm thinking that it'll require restoring the original scripts from the DOS version, and I need to come up with a good approach to that.

it would be possible to add the fame limit back, and limit the cutscenes using 25/30 FPS as base 45 or 60 to autopilot scenes

i think EA removed the Limit and made that garbo because they never thought that processors would become faster as the time goes, so it was made with the processors of that time in mind.

Ehh... everyone knows processors will get faster. And WC2 was one of the first WC games to have a frame rate limiter in combat to prevent this problem. There’s probably a quirky technical reason.

My guess is they were aiming for smoother animation for cut scenes. The frame limit was placed at 70 Hz, which was well within the capabilities of most CRT monitors of the time (but, ironically, not supported by most modern LCDs).

My guess is they were aiming for smoother animation for cut scenes. The frame limit was placed at 70 Hz, which was well within the capabilities of most CRT monitors of the time (but, ironically, not supported by most modern LCDs).

here's an interesting tidbit, if you're interested stinger: when i activated Vsync using DxWnd, some of The Cutscenes speed became normal, the intro cutscene mostly and the dialogue.

meanwhile Vsync using DgVoodoo2 didn't worked well

If I remember right, the game actually changes the target frame rate based on whether or not there is currently any spoken dialogue. It's just all over the place.

If I remember right, the game actually changes the target frame rate based on whether or not there is currently any spoken dialogue. It's just all over the place.
also, when i changed the renderer filter to Scale 2k or HQ4X, the cutscenes became slow enough to run all the scenes fine, also dynamic CPU ON, all cutscenes seemed fine besides the death screen.

i'll test with WCDX later to see if the same trick works

Only way I can get Transfer.exe working is by setting it to Win95 compatibility mode. Otherwise I get a blank screen.

To my surprise when I got it working all the beds are empty! I just completed the WC1 main campaign :(

Only way I can get Transfer.exe working is by setting it to Win95 compatibility mode. Otherwise I get a blank screen.

To my surprise when I got it working all the beds are empty! I just completed the WC1 main campaign :(
That sounds to me like the transfer program is unpatched. Patch it the same way you did with the game exe:

wcpatch transfer.exe transfer_wcdx.exe

That sounds to me like the transfer program is unpatched. Patch it the same way you did with the game exe:

wcpatch transfer.exe transfer_wcdx.exe
@Stinger Does the Transfer patch fix the Spirit dying bug?
Could the patches ever be made for the Dos version at some point?
Thanks for all your hard work.

The Spirit bug was never in Kilrathi Saga as far as I can tell.

These patches are designed to make Kilrathi Saga playable, with a focus on making sure they integrate properly into the Windows ecosystem; patching the DOS versions would be an entirely different undertaking. I do occasionally look at the DOS versions for reference to make sure I get things right, and much of the structure and logic is the same, but they are written for a different platform, with a different chip architecture, memory layout, and platform interface; I can't just take what I already have and apply it to the DOS version.

I didn't know the Spirit transfer bug was fixed in Saga. That's cool.

I know it's not a 1-to-1 comparison I just always hope that the DOS version would get some Love too.

I know the audio files were changed in the Saga version. Does anyone know if the new files were from the Roland or the Sound Blaster?

If you're talking about the music, the orchestrations are from George Oldziey, based on the original music files from Dave Govett and George Alistair Sanger. They sound most like the MT-32 versions, but with higher-quality instruments and a few added touches here and there. To me, this is the definitive version of the soundtrack.

Any chances of fixing the volume control in WC1? Because I found out that no matter what volume you set for the music or sound effects; it always sounds the same (except for when it's 0, which mutes them). It really bugs me, because the sound effects are too loud.

This is the first I've heard that there's an issue. Thanks for letting me know.
Stinger, I bring you some good news from the WC2 front

the latest WIP Update for DgVoodoo2 "fixed" the framerate issues for Wing Commander 2 cutscenes, even the dialogue lip sync, and Even the Original Opening is working now!, though Autopilot scenes are still slow.

you should check with him at VOGONS later on.

Interesting; I may have to take a look at that. Eventually. I am once again completely swamped with other stuff.

Incidentally, if anyone out there is interested in contributing to wcdx, please let me know. The project is open-source for a reason...

Back