Wcdx - Kilrathi Saga for modern Windows

Since nobody has posted any new issues with the beta, I've gone ahead and rebranded it as 1.2. There are still a number of issues that need to be addressed, but I think 1.2 is in a good stable place right now.

The next release will be 1.2.1, somewhere down the road. I have a number of non-WC things I need to take care of that will take me away from this project for a little while, possibly as long as a few weeks, but I will return to it when I can. I'm not going anywhere; I'll still be on the forums, and any issues or enhancements you can think of are welcome topics for conversation. I just won't be able to put any significant time into the coding side of things for a little while. In the meantime, 1.2 is completely playable and allows you to enjoy the entire Wing Commander 1 experience!

Happy flying!

I have a number of non-WC things I need to take care of that will take me away from this project for a little while, possibly as long as a few weeks, but I will return to it when I can.

This is what I received as a reply on another forum to a similar post of mine:
Take breaks, enjoy life, read books, go see movies. Don't let this become a drudge that takes all joy from your life.

Other than that, work at your own pace, get feedback from the people whose opinions you value, and keep plugging away.

Hey Stinger!

We haven't had news from you for some time. How are you doing and how is wcdx shaping up these days? :)

Continually bumping project threads shouldn't make him work any faster. He has some ideas where he would like to be at the end of the project, but these are not promises to the public. We didn't pay him money. If he wants to put out some work he did 5 years later, that is his absolute right. There are far more important things in life. We are just along for the ride. Perhaps you're bored and need something to do?

Last edited:
wcnut, if Stinger feels I am bothering him with my messages I am sure he can tell me himself.

I find your intervention rude and uncalled for.

Nah, I'm not bothered. I have been very busy, though; I just moved into a new apartment and still have a bunch of stuff to unpack. Apart from that, I've been working on some modifications to clang to support my feature proposal, and of course there's always my day job. I honestly expected to get back to wcdx before now, but be assured it's still very much on my mind.

Continually bumping project threads shouldn't make him work any faster. He has some ideas where he would like to be at the end of the project, but these are not promises to the public. We didn't pay him money. If he wants to put out some work he did 5 years later, that is his absolute right. There are far more important things in life. We are just along for the ride. Perhaps you're bored and need something to do?
Stinger's already replied, but I thought I might chime in as well. People bugging you about your project, as a general rule, are not annoying. It is annoying sometimes to have to reply to them "no, sorry, no progress, no time", but in general, the benefits outweigh the costs. That is to say, it makes you feel better about your work if you know that someone out there is waiting for it. And when it comes to modding, which is done entirely in spare time, feeling good about devoting your time to a project is very, very important indeed.

Thanks for the nice update, Stinger.

I hope you are enjoying your new place and godspeed with all your projects.

Quarto,

thanks for your words. I am a (very modest) modder myself (Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy VII and Knights of the Old Republic) and I have always tried to avoid being petulant with request of release dates or new versions. I am just telling the modders of projects I feel passionate about that they have my personal support, especially when the forum activity is waning. I am honored to have made friends with some talented modders just by showing how much I cared for their work.

And even if I know modders are not paid (I didn't get one cent myself), I have often donated money to those who accepted donation just to give a more tangible sign of appreciation.

I'll admit there may be two schools of thought and that it really depends on the modder in question and the manner of the post. To me it always struck as a supposed debtor ranging in on what they feel owed to them, and I'm certainly not the only one to feel that way. But I can understand it as a means of people showing passion/interest for another's work. So I do apologize.

I myself have also dabbled in a few projects, nothing near as big as Quarto :) Most things for Xboard, including help port it over to OSX, but also lots of texture/music/mapping projects for AlephOne (Marathon Open Source). Good times.

wcnut,

I am glad to put this behind. In my experience in various modding communities, including this one, I found a good synergy between mod authors and mod users. I guess it's a matter of perspective, in the end... What we share though, is how we think "the manner of the post" can come off as offensive, in one way or another.

wing2.png

It's playable! But that's about all I can guarantee for this release. So far, I haven't done anything beyond making the game playable (already a minor miracle; I have no idea how these games ever worked before); this is a very early alpha. I still have a ton of work to do to get this up to my usual standards. In fact, I haven't even played all the way through the first mission yet! So far, I've observed some issues with input and sound, where some lines of dialogue in the intro are being skipped as if you'd hit a key. The cutscene frame rate also seems higher than it should be, but maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

Installation instructions here.

Things I've completed:
  • The game starts and doesn't crash when you look at it funny! Hooray!
Things I haven't completed:
  • Anything else.
  • Really.
One final note: This post does not imply that I'm ready to return to my previous rapid release cycle. I've managed to find some time for wcdx, but I have a lot of other things happening in the near future. Think of this as an early preview of things to come when I have more time.

I'll try to take some time to fix major issues that prevent people from playing the game (provided they're reasonably simple to tackle), but I can't handle feature requests just yet. That said, feel free to post any requests or issues you come across so that I can refer back to them later.

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Wow!

It's great! I don't care if it's just a preview. It's enough to be really excited about the development of wcdx!

Thank you for the update, Stinger.

My Wing1_wcdx.exe works fine but the image is a little too blurry. How can I fix it?
I'd like to restore the original image if possible.

Btw. Great work with this 'patch' Stinger! It really makes KS the best WC1 version. Getting back planets and fixing the infamous music bug is something I was looking for.

Thanks so much Stinger, It's been so long since I touched WC2 KS The music sure was better. Your patch makes it run in wine wonderfully.

It may be too soon, but if it's all right with you I'd like to post a few things I noticed:

-Just as with WC1 KS, WC2 KS's cockipit damage effects don't seem to work.
-Speed can be all over the place with. Autopilot sequences are slow, (or just slower then what I'm use too on the dos version XD but it seems on par with WC SNES so idk.), The death menu runs really quickly. But I remember this from before
-Keyboard controls has some sort of ramping on them. You press the arrow key to turn the ship and you barley move at first, then after 5 seconds of holding you move a little faster. Holding shift turns this off and you always turn at the maximum rate, but it's still quite annoying. I'll have to dust off my Joystick and see if that makes the game more playable

My Wing1_wcdx.exe works fine but the image is a little too blurry. How can I fix it?
I'd like to restore the original image if possible.
Blurry is a surprise; are you sure you don't mean blocky? I intentionally use nearest-neighbor filtering to achieve a look that's as close to the original as I can get (huge pixels and all). There's no interpolation, so I don't know where blurriness would come from. Can you provide comparison screenshots to highlight your issue?

Btw. Great work with this 'patch' Stinger! It really makes KS the best WC1 version. Getting back planets and fixing the infamous music bug is something I was looking for.
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

Thanks so much Stinger, It's been so long since I touched WC2 KS The music sure was better. Your patch makes it run in wine wonderfully.

It may be too soon, but if it's all right with you I'd like to post a few things I noticed:

-Just as with WC1 KS, WC2 KS's cockipit damage effects don't seem to work.
-Speed can be all over the place with. Autopilot sequences are slow, (or just slower then what I'm use too on the dos version XD but it seems on par with WC SNES so idk.), The death menu runs really quickly. But I remember this from before
-Keyboard controls has some sort of ramping on them. You press the arrow key to turn the ship and you barley move at first, then after 5 seconds of holding you move a little faster. Holding shift turns this off and you always turn at the maximum rate, but it's still quite annoying. I'll have to dust off my Joystick and see if that makes the game more playable
Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming! I may not be able to quickly jump on these issues, but I definitely want them documented here so that I can refer to them later.

Re: cockpit damage, that's still something I want to revisit for WC1 as well; the damage at least appears, even though it doesn't animate, so it's not completely broken, but I do want to fix it.

Regarding, blurriness, I get something similar in wine, some sort of interpolation in both wc1+2. But I'm pretty sure wine or OSX is the culprit for that. As it's not that way in windows.

Back