Installing Wc4

fjeldgaard

Spaceman
Hi

I have just found my WC4 cd's, and know wanted to play them, but when I try too install via Windows XP I get a message that c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt isn't suited for running in MS_DOS or Microsoft windows programs.

Please help, I'd really like to play my WC4 game one more time!

Thanks
Fjeldgaard

Many others have had the same problem. A quick seach of the tech support forum should get you the info you need. The Basic solution involves using a dos emulator like DosBox to install th game to your harddrive. You can then download and install the win95 patch from the CIC's files section. Then right click the wc4.exe file and click properties and then set the compatability mode to win95 or 98.

I had a similar problem just today and found an easy solution:

1. Install using the setup.bat on the 1st CD.

2. When it crashes at the machine test, alt-tab out of it and close it.

3. Download the win95 patch under the CIC's files section & unzip where you tried to install wc4.

4. Run WC4W.EXE, and it will let you finish the install (can run speed test, copy more files, etc.). Ran it for about an hour with no problems, no compatibility problems!

If that doesn't work, as a PC Technician I've seen spyware make XP bring up that message about autoexec.nt (deleting or editing the file does no good). Try cleaning with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware.

-Dj
"Mordrid"

Back