Info on ground battles.

Thumis

Spaceman
Howdy all,

I looked through the Encyclopedia but came up empty looking for info on what ground battles were like in the WC universe.
Basically I want to know what types of weaponry were used both for Confeds and Kilrathi. Would they use thier ships for air cover? Did they ever attack from orbit? Were there ever large scale campaigns on planets? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!

We got to see detailed ground action in two battles: first the battle of Repleetah, which lasted until both sides gave up supporting their ground troops and let them shoot each other to death, and second the taking of Vukar Tag in "End Run".

Visual descriptions are a little rare. We get to see some tanks and weapons on WC1 and WC4. WCA adds some more detail. They use fighters for air support on WC3, WC4 and WCA.

Your best bet are the descriptions from ER which detail the taking and digging in on Vukar Tag...fighters are used for air cover and the marines seemingly blast the ever living crap out of the surface before landing...

Loozer said:
well there was a largescale pandemic on WC4

... Do you mean the tank battle scene? Because that's not what pandemic means.

I believe Loaf once hinted that there were possibly Mech like vehicles also used...not sure where that reference came from though...

came from ER they talk about giant armored walkers that the marines use when landing on Vukar. wish I had my copy handy...

God, I wish there was some sort of Wing Commander fps...

Squad Commander... You could be Dekker or one of his trusted underlings...

Open up the communication menu, tell a Marine to attack your target, request status, taunt a kat...

Confederation Marines taking it to the enemy on land and in space! Oooh-rah!

I have seen only a few weapons, any comprehensive listings available as to what each side used? Do Kilrathi use guns and if so any idea what they are?

Yeah, they do. We see them in use during the WC1 campaign.
I kinda like the concept of a fps based on Confed marines... taunting a kat would be much more exciting if they empty their clip at you and then do a maniacal charge, bare-clawed... kind of an "oh crap" factor.

AD said:
... Do you mean the tank battle scene? Because that's not what pandemic means.

tank battle scene? what are you talking about? im just referrring to the scenes planetside when you land in wc4 and theres a disease going around,
sure its not ground battles but techinically its a battle just a different form

Thumis said:
I have seen only a few weapons, any comprehensive listings available as to what each side used? Do Kilrathi use guns and if so any idea what they are?

This thread covers all the small arms seen during WC...

being new you may want to explore the search forums option...most major subjects have been discussed in detail multiple times and you can find a treasure trove of info buried in the archived posts here...

Loozer said:
tank battle scene? what are you talking about? im just referrring to the scenes planetside when you land in wc4 and theres a disease going around,
sure its not ground battles but techinically its a battle just a different form
Thumis said:
Howdy all,

I looked through the Encyclopedia but came up empty looking for info on what ground battles were like in the WC universe.
Basically I want to know what types of weaponry were used both for Confeds and Kilrathi. Would they use thier ships for air cover? Did they ever attack from orbit? Were there ever large scale campaigns on planets? Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!

The original messag is asking about ground based engagements. To which you added a cryptic remark about something that clearly does not contain any combat whatsoever. To which my reply stands equally to bring a specific incident of *seen* groung combat into the discussion.

If anything the FT957 incident falls under the "aerial bombardment" category. It's an attack, Any "fighting" is verifiably one sided and notably not on the ground.

from page 125 of End Run
In the dust and confusion he saw the grunts clambering out of their ships, racing through the wreckage, ground fighting vehicles pouring out the forward hatches, hovering up, and then skimming away. The heavy weapons landers touched down, disgorging their massive "walkers" which could traverse any terrain and carried as much armaments as a light corvette. "

AD said:
The original messag is asking about ground based engagements. To which you added a cryptic remark about something that clearly does not contain any combat whatsoever. To which my reply stands equally to bring a specific incident of *seen* groung combat into the discussion.

well technically his last question was were their any large scale campaigns on planets? in which a campaign can clearly be military based, but at times can be just a general series of operations pursued to accomplish a purpose.
im aware of what he is asking, but just felt free to point out more engrossed planetside scenes which visualized weaponry they carried, (but not certain if they did). i havent played wc4 in years

Erm, you did read the title of this thread, right, Loozer? "ground battles" doesn't in any way include an attack that was solely carried out by fighters, no matter what the payload those fighters delivered.

Anyway, the ground battle scenes in WC4 were in the Circe half of the Circe/Speradon series choice. The ground battle was almost entirely a tank fight, with one of the missions in that set being tank plinking in support of pro-UBW ground forces.

You can also see a brief clip of the tank fight cutscene from the beginning of the mission set on a TV set at the bar on Nephele to which Blair returns if he fails enough of the missions before the defection choices appear.

Back