Indulge Yourself in New CIC Poll (July 1, 2018)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
A new poll is up, and this time it asks what your guilty pleasures are in Wing Commander. Everyone knows what the fun things are to do in the most popular games, but there are plenty of fringe activities that fans also enjoy. A sampling has been provided for you to vote on, but if we missed anything good, let us know!

The previous poll asked about the best years in franchise history. There was pretty solid support throughout the '90s, but both 1994 and 1996 came out ahead. Wing Commanders 3 and 4 were major heavy hitters in these years, but it helped that they were bolstered by a wide variety of new products.

--
Original update published on July 1, 2018

I'm having trouble with this one. Sure, I enjoy some of the things listed, such as playing the losing paths, or picking up ejected pilots, or landing manually on the flight deck - but I have such a hard time accepting any of these as "guilty pleasures". They seem perfectly reasonable and not-at-all guilty to me.

I was thinking something similar. I still remember my dismay when I found that my benevolent rescue of ejected pilots (in Privateer) meant they turned into slaves (to be fair, I think most ejected pilots only came about if the player was the one attacking, you were either hostile to the merchant or the pirates).

Not sure if measuring cap-ship lengths is an in-game or in-lore activity, but I suppose when we used to (or still?) obsessed over ship statistics this might have been one of mine. I did manually park my fighter a few times in WC3/4 but thereafter used the convenience of ACLS. Like Q, I'd argue losing paths are an essential part of the WC experience (to play through the full story) but I suppose you have to fill the poll with options.

In the end I went with the losing path option. As of writing (38 votes) rescuing/enslaving ejected pilots is the clear leader.

I'm having trouble with this one. Sure, I enjoy some of the things listed, such as playing the losing paths, or picking up ejected pilots, or landing manually on the flight deck - but I have such a hard time accepting any of these as "guilty pleasures". They seem perfectly reasonable and not-at-all guilty to me.

To make the options fit in the menu, a couple words were streamlined here and there where we thought the descriptions were self explanatory enough. When we're talking about tractoring in pilots, we're talking about pulling in ejected enemy pilots where they'll be imprisoned or enslaved (hence the Privateer screenshot in the update). "Parking on the flight deck" doesn't just mean manually landing - it means screwing off by flying around and exploring the inside of capships, both friendly and enemy, which is a thing everyone did - but it's 'guilty' because you're just playing in the sandbox and not towards the mission object at that point.

Like Q, I'd argue losing paths are an essential part of the WC experience (to play through the full story) but I suppose you have to fill the poll with options.

Nobody would disagree with you - of course losing paths are an essential part of the WC experience - but you often access them by way of losing missions and thus dooming the colonists in Port Hedland, for example, which is why it's a guilty pleasure.

It's just a goofy poll, you all don't have to overthink this - it's a lot more fun to think about what else you could come up with.

Last edited:
Mine was always attacking allies to see who would win and what happened when you blew up your own carriers and such. Also kamikazeing everything in everything because why not.

To make the options fit in the menu, a couple words were streamlined here and there where we thought the descriptions were self explanatory enough. When we're talking about tractoring in pilots, we're talking about pulling in ejected enemy pilots where they'll be imprisoned or enslaved (hence the Privateer screenshot in the update). "Parking on the flight deck" doesn't just mean manually landing - it means screwing off by flying around and exploring the inside of capships, both friendly and enemy, which is a thing everyone did - but it's 'guilty' because you're just playing in the sandbox and not towards the mission object at that point.
Yeah, I figured that this is what it meant. And ultimately, this is the response I chose - of all the small pleasures WC offers, I suppose this is the closest one to being a guilty pleasure for me, as not only does it not contribute towards progress or any greater knowledge of the game, but indeed it occasionally results in silly deaths and forced mission replays.

Fun fact: obviously, you can do this kind of thing in most other space games, but when I tried to do it in Freelancer, I found that this was a very easy way to screw yourself over without even getting killed in the process. Many bases would launch fighters from a little closed-off bay - the ships spawned in the bay, the bay door opened, the ships flew out, and then the doors closed again, all just so that the player wouldn't see the ships popping into existence. So, after several tries, I was able to fly in through the bay doors while a ship was launching... only to then realise that once I'm in there, there's not enough time to get back out, and because I'm not out there doing anything, there ain't no more ships launching, and I'm trapped. Ah, well. Still worth it :).

It's just a goofy poll, you all don't have to overthink this - it's a lot more fun to think about what else you could come up with.
Doing missions backwards. Again, nothing guilty about it, but it sure seems like a silly thing to do.
Also, in WCP, repeatedly afterburning past the Midway - what a feeling of speed there was in that game!

...And the biggest, and genuinely guilty, pleasure of all: modding. Anyone who's engaged in modding will understand me on this one - it's so much fun, but so much of the time you spend on it is generally not productive at all - even if we accept that there is some value in making an Unknown Enemy, Standoff, or Saga, most of the time modding is really just doodling around and trying to figure out unknown nooks and crannies of the engine. Can't think of a more pleasant thing to do... nor of something that's harder to justify to myself these days, squeezed as I am between work and family.

Sorry about that. I suppose Q set a bit of a precedent there.

Mine was always attacking allies to see who would win and what happened when you blew up your own carriers and such.
I remember in WC2 I would give the Concordia the debug 'finger-of-death' to see what might happen in a losing scenario. Carrier defence missions obviously gives you the 'drifting endlessly through the void' scene, but in some missions where the Concordia is internally flagged as invulnerable this resulted in a hard-lock of the game and the only way out was to reset the whole computer.

...when I tried to do it in Freelancer, I found that this was a very easy way to screw yourself over without even getting killed in the process...
Great story, although that must have been a disappointment when you got stuck. Hope that was done at the beginning of a mission rather than at the end.

Doing missions backwards. Again, nothing guilty about it, but it sure seems like a silly thing to do.
I'm sure at least a few missions in WC1 (and maybe 2) results in a failure when doing this!

Also, in WCP, repeatedly afterburning past the Midway - what a feeling of speed there was in that game!
Indeed - sliding around carriers getting into a good position for a screenshot... Vision was a great step up from WC3/4.

Back