Important: Update your video card drivers. Really !

I´m on ATI bug testing today. You ATI owners will be enjoying Standoff in OpenGL very soon, Alex´s new patch looks promising.

I´ve downloaded it... but it doesn´t seem to have made much of a difference in my ATI machine.

NOT JUST ATI

Sorry guys but the missing ships HDR problem is NOT JUST ATI.

I have a Nvidia 7600GS and I have exactly the same problem as the other users.

All works well except HDR/bloom/enhanced space etc, I just get the same as these guys so I can assure you there is a problem and its not just ATI cards.

The game plays great, even with AA and AS, but I'm missing out on the the HDR candy, which is a shame.

Cheers.

Will do.

WOW, that was a SUPER quick reply.

I've tried the latest drivers but NOT the Direct x, I'm currntly on 9.c which I'm sure is the most up to date version for my card.

I will have a look though.

Cheers.

I asked in ohter threats to, but again i repeat. i hope someone can help

in standoff and in prophecy, i use the enhanced starfield patch.

i am using the newest graphic card drivers, but still i cannot get beyond of 640*480, even if 1024*768 is choosen. the game displays always 640*480

i am using an nvidia geforce 8800 gt

I've tried the latest drivers but NOT the Direct x, I'm currntly on 9.c which I'm sure is the most up to date version for my card.
There are many versions of DirectX 9C - just like the graphics card drivers, DirectX continually gets updates. I remember having the exact same problem you describe (I have an 8600) during development, when I first tried to run the new DLLs - turned out that a DirectX update was indeed necessary.

I asked in ohter threats to, but again i repeat. i hope someone can help
Sorry, usually I let PopsiclePete or Dundradal respond to these things, but it seems they're too busy lately. I can't help you too much, I haven't got any idea how these patches work.

What I do know is that they most definitely should work on your machine.

First things first, can you open up stan_ogl.cfg using a text editor and check the first two lines? I'm wondering if perhaps the config isn't being saved for some reason. I can't quite think of a reason why that would happen (unless you forgot to press "save" :p)... but let's check anyway. If the width and height are 640 and 480, then try changing the config again, and then re-open the cfg file to see if the changes were applied.

well i checked the cfg file. the res is set 1024*768, but is not displayed in the game

thanx for helping :)

Sorry guys but the missing ships HDR problem is NOT JUST ATI.

I have a Nvidia 7600GS and I have exactly the same problem as the other users.

All works well except HDR/bloom/enhanced space etc, I just get the same as these guys so I can assure you there is a problem and its not just ATI cards.

The game plays great, even with AA and AS, but I'm missing out on the the HDR candy, which is a shame.

Cheers.
Hi. First up, I'd like to know what your version of Standoff is. There was a problem with the OpenGL libraries shipped with Standof until 1.29, and the current version is 1.31.

Secondly, I'd like to know the version of your NVidia drivers (date, version number, and origin [NVidia's site ?]).

Also, be aware that even if you get HDR working, chances are a GS edition of a 7000 series GeForce card won't be able to sustain the extra crunch work; you may not be able to play with HDR... but hopefully you will.

well i checked the cfg file. the res is set 1024*768, but is not displayed in the game

thanx for helping :)
What makes you think the game is only in 640*480 ? Is it because the cockpit and hud elements aren't getting smaller in higher res just like the DirectX mode behaviour ? You have to understand, for the OpenGL mode we took a different approach: everything 3D is indeed displayed in hi-res, but the game menus and cockpit HUDs are scaled up to fit the higher-res, effectively keeping the same display ratio whatever resolution you use. In DirectX hi-res mode, the 2D stuff is simply offsetted but not upscaled, so they are smaller, taking less and less space in the screen as you set the resolution higher...

indeed, the HUDs are somewhat bigger than the rest of the game. i especially found that out,when i tried the enhancement pack on prophecy, where the hud looks like 640*480.

i didn't now that. HCLs patch decreases the HUD in higher resolutions too, so I thought the enhancement pack would do the same.

in this case everything is clear now

Sorry, usually I let PopsiclePete or Dundradal respond to these things, but it seems they're too busy lately. I can't help you too much, I haven't got any idea how these patches work.

Yeah unfortunately I'm going to be very quiet in the coming months. I've got 6 classes to teach at the college this semester along with 2 part-time jobs. I'll try to jump in when I can.

DONT USE LATEST DRIVERS FOR NVIDIA.

This thread is very wrong regarding latest Nvidia drivers.

The latest Nvidia drivers are notorious for being total crap.

I used the latest drivers for my 7600GS and could not get HDR bloom fx, just invisible ships and VERY glitchy gameplay. It was fine without HDR and looked but now after changing drivers it works great.

I downloaded some older drivers, installed them, now everything is PERFECT. I didn't even use a driver cleaner or uninstall my old drivers (even though you're supposed to).

I think the driver version I use is now 97.47 but I'll have to double check.

Definitely DO NOT use new drivers for Nvidia though, thats a dead cert, try older drivers like the one mentioned.

Good luck.

People's results will clearly vary. I think the intent here is that you should update your drivers if the game isn't working right. If you already have all the effects working perfectly, I wouldn't bother changing anything.

This thread is very wrong regarding latest Nvidia drivers.

The latest Nvidia drivers are notorious for being total crap.

I used the latest drivers for my 7600GS and could not get HDR bloom fx, just invisible ships and VERY glitchy gameplay. It was fine without HDR and looked but now after changing drivers it works great.

I downloaded some older drivers, installed them, now everything is PERFECT. I didn't even use a driver cleaner or uninstall my old drivers (even though you're supposed to).

I think the driver version I use is now 97.47 but I'll have to double check.

Definitely DO NOT use new drivers for Nvidia though, thats a dead cert, try older drivers like the one mentioned.

Good luck.

The reason why older drivers "fixed" the problem for you is most likely that the OpenGL renderer automatically deactivated HDR for you. At of the current release HDR doesn't work on nVidia cards older than the GeForce 8 series, explaining your invisible ships. Also, the OpenGL renderer needs functions that are only available in drivers dating from around may 2009... so since it couldn't find the required function in your old drivers HDR was simply deactivated.

I tested almost every nVidia driver release since we started working on the OpenGL renderer, and only one new release caused problems so far (see my next post).

Back