IMPORTANT: Standoff Episode 5 patch 1.29 now available

PopsiclePete

Mission programmer
Quoting the website:

At last, Standoff as we wanted to release it almost month ago. The random crash problem that plagued the game is now resolved, as every other show stopped crashes/bugs that were reported by our testers and the community via our forums. Few minor bugs may be remaining, but we're still working on sorting the last details for a next update.

This new release should better support ATI video cards than previously: Alex has found some limitations in the Catalyst drivers he could make a workaround for. In the case of older or mobile cards, the renderer should now automaticaly ignore a visual option that isn't supported. Unfortunately we don't have access to many ATI testers so your feedback will be appreciated.

Here's the list of changes/fixes in 1.29:
  • Fixes the random crashes when using the new effects.
  • Removed the crazy values nagscreen in the options menu, as the crashes are now fixed.
  • Fixes support for most recent ATI cards, better sopport for older and mobile versions. Cards that doesn't support the new visual effects should now ignore those options.
  • Fixed the inversion of the middle and good endings.
  • All the simulator missions are now enabled for the scoreboard, except simulator mission 6.
  • Minor tweeks to some episode 3 missions.

We are currently rebuilding the installers with the updated material, so people that couldn't use Autoupdate for some reason can expect the updated Episode 5 and full game installers to be uploaded and available tomorrow. In the meantime, you can get the update through the autoupdate mechanism of the launcher.
The patch itself is only 1.9 Mb; restart your Launchers and get it !

As usual, if any of you finds anything unusual, please let us know... The major bugs from the release date are gone, but every now and then we notice something new to polish

YES! It finally works properly on my crappy Intel integrated chip. No HDR of course but enhanced lighting and starfields working fine. And the best part is I can still use my computer without restarting after quitting the game.

Great work everyone! Looks like I may have to start finding some time to give it a try on my Radeon-based system soon. :)

Edit: Out of curiosity, what was the cause or causes of the random crashes? If it's not too complicated to explain briefly. Or you're not too embarrassed to explain why in the first place. Really, I am curious to know because I know what it feels like to be plagued by a seemingly random bug and then to finally solve it.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what was the cause or causes of the random crashes? If it's not too complicated to explain briefly. Or you're not too embarrassed to explain why in the first place. Really, I am curious to know because I know what it feels like to be plagued by a seemingly random bug and then to finally solve it.

We made a small mistake in which file we were including. The differences in the file were causing the crashes...I'll let someone else elaborate more :p

The fixes are a combination of things, but as for the random crash itself, it was a file mismatch between the one used for Alex's development and the ones that got released.

On another matter: in the update I mentioned all sim missions now being scoreboard-enabled except sim 6. I forgot to mention the scores are getting in the scoreboard alright, but may not be actually displayed yet, Kris has a bit of work to do for that. When it's updated all your previously sent scores will be shown.

Awesome Patch! Random crashes gone, also no crashes anymore for me when i eject in the Simulator! Very well done!

Everyone that has still the Expansion Limit on, turn it off and enjoy lots of sweet eyecandy! :)

...it was a file mismatch between the one used for Alex's development and the ones that got released.
Ooh, ouch. I can imagine that would be hard to solve if everyone's looking at different code/headers. But well done for finding it at last.

I just went back and shoehorn'ed my way through the last mission on the winning path to see the proper winning ending and after the landing video, I was rewarded with a "File Write Operation Failed" error in the original prophecy visual style. It suggests a lack of disk space which is clearly invalid for my system. I thought it might be a read-only problem, but I made sure all files in the SecretOps directory are writable. Any ideas?

Okay, I just auto-updated this stuff, but now I have no music, and the crosshairs go down even though I am not pushing the joystick forward. What gives???

You need to be a bit more specific in your reporting here besides "what gives?" System specs (sound card, GFX card, etc) would be helpful.

Did you check the music volume? Did you check all volumes?

The movement of the crosshairs makes me think your joystick isn't calibrated. You should try recalibrating your stick.

K, I will see about recalibrating. The thing is, I auto-updated two updates for the game, but for no apparent reason, the music won't play in-game. The volume IS up according to the settings, but it still won't work. I'm a bit puzzled. Maybe my sound card real does need to be updated. Not entirely sure.

Downloaded the 1.29 installer. I still have much problems with the epilogues, trying to watch or load them (history or save) crashes most of time. However I now did once see both good endings; earlier only saw the best (apparently when I should've seen medium?) and the other always crashed.
At credits, "return to game" crashes (apparently always, didn't every time before update). Haven't tried quitting there since earlier it messed autosave so that I had to copy a save to other pilot to get back.

Other things fine. Runs faster(?) or at least smoother and coms don't stutter anymore. The losing path jump works.

Question: a mission is called "Fresh Company" in flight history but in mission it's "Too Much Company". Are there two versions it counts as same in history or what?

One more thing. In both original and 1.29, I believe I've heard kilrathi laugh ("killed a wingman" com I assume) when they die. Not sure, could be just coincidents that I haven't noticed someone die, but seems to happen too often that I'd be always mistaken.
Last time it was krants somewhere in C5 losing path.

Hey hey, that seemed to do the tricks guys. It plays perfect now with top settings (haven't played with the slides, but it works great with enh light and hdr and high resolution), and no flying through other fighters either.

Hey hey, that seemed to do the tricks guys. It plays perfect now with top settings (haven't played with the slides, but it works great with enh light and hdr and high resolution), and no flying through other fighters either.

The fighter collision models bug is something that we can't fix. You will still that happen (mostly in Ep5 Winning path missions, but occasionally in the losing path as well) from time to time. But for the most part the bug doesn't occur, it just happens when there are too many different fighter types in a mission.

Back