im upgradeing my computer..and i need some help

Kain

Spaceman
im upgradeing it to a p233 with the best 3D card out there
however id like to know what extra computer to get if the following games won't work well on the new system:

Privateer
Kings Quest 1-7
Space Quest 1-6
Doom 1 & 2
Alone in the Dark
Descent
Dune
Monkey island
Raptor

and how well do Tie Fighter,KS,WC3 work on a P233?

[This message has been edited by Kain (edited October 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kain (edited October 06, 2000).]

i built some upgrades for my computaer too you want at least a pentium and an amd or cyrix if you can efford it (k7 has morme than twice as much transistors as the p3, 2.3333333 as much to be exact i forget what cyrxi has but its a 686 the pentium is only a 586 so it's 100 more) you need a new motherboard with slots and sockets depending on if the athlon is a slot or socket processor be sure to get a good fan also DON"T get heat sinks though, otherwise your spill water on the computer which is bad and makes it smoke and overheat

ram and rom are also importent you need roms to make games work in nesticle so be sure to get lots. ram is used for making stuff run faster and bigger you need lots of ram also to make windows Me faster (bill gates programmed it if (memory is big) { then goto make_windows_faster(); }

3d cards make games a lot prettier with more colored lights than without one. compare unreal tournamint to doom 2, doom didn't use a 3d card and looks shit compared to quake 3 which uses lots of 3d cards voodoo 64 has 64 megs of ram which is the best and it uses AGP which has the most ram than ISA or PSU geforce sucks because it can't run OpenGLide which is faster than nVideo

sound cards are stupid they all sound exactly the same so just buy the cheapest one that comp usa has you won't have to spend more than ten bucks or so on this so dont worry

buy a big level 2 pipe line bursting cash this is good for making games run faster and it can store mp3s in there that you listen to alot which makes the computer less slower and MORE POWER (arf arf arf tool time)

buy a cd burner this way you can make games on your computer without buying them (its okay as long as the discs are less than 24 hours old)

youll need to buy a modem to get on the information super hiway

------------------
Making love with his ego Ziggy sucked up into his mind
Like a leper messiah
When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band.

First of all, do NOT buy a Cyrix chip. They are much slower and have many compatability problems. Either AMD or Intel is fine, AMD is cheaper and I recommend it if you are trying to spend as little as possible. Also the best thing is a fan coupled with a heat sink. If you are planning to run alot of games that need pure DOS, as Privateer does, then do not get Windows ME as it lacks a pure DOS mode. With ME, you would have to set up a multi boot with regular DOS or ME. Past that, any of those games should work fine on your computer. KS is frame limited as well as Tie Fighter and WC3. They have cheap new versions of X-wing and Tie Fighter that are based on the X-wing vs. Tie Fighter engine and are made to run in windows. Might want to check that out. Otherwise, moslo or turbo will slow the comp down to a reasonable speed.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

The only problem you might encounter with Space Quest and King`s Quest games is the sound. Unless your sound card is using IRQ7, which it most likely doesn`t (and I don`t really recommend changing it from 5 to 7), you won`t be able to get the sound blaster option to work in these games. The reason is, that the computer is too fast for the games to autodetect your sound card settings.
Moslo may help, but not always.

Ziggy: That had to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. At least use proper sentence structure and punctuation if you insist on posting, even if you don't know what you're talking about.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited October 07, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Knight: Don't worry about Ziggy, he's someone else just having fun, if you can call it that.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Someone else acting like a moron.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Dralthi5 said:
Someone else acting like a moron.

That's the point.

------------------
Making love with his ego Ziggy sucked up into his mind
Like a leper messiah
When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band.

Since it's 11:25 here, my brain might be working a little slow right now, but me thinks Ziggy is insulting himself...

Ziggy is not Ziggy but someone who is very bored and has nothing better to do.

------------------

I still play Raptor on my p200 with no speed or incompatibility problems, so you should be ok with a p233.
Alone in the Dark I just played the other day on my P2 350 with no problems whatsoever, so that's good, and Tie Fighter will run perfectly fine on whatever comp you have.
Some of the Space Quests/Kings Quests may run a bit fast in some places. I have this problem where in Space Quest 5 when rescuing Cliffy in Space, the pod moves too fast to control properly, so you may need moslo for that. But the actual movement in other parts of the game is normal.

Hey the link for the doom 2 upgrade is broken can you e-mail it to me please?

------------------
I dont think we have been intraduced.Im Hawk your dead! -Hawk(ICEMAN)

Back