I'm getting the hang of this...

Eder

Mr. Standoff
As evidenced by these hi-res SO screenshots:

shot0002.png

shot0003.png

Suggestions, opinions...?

Now, one more question. How do I go about making a fighter with a turret?

--Eder

Now that's pretty... but what faction's markings are those? :)

Regarding your second question, you open up the ship file, and put in something like this:
Code:
FORM "TLST"
    {
      FORM "GTUR"
      {
        CHUNK "DATA"
        {
          cstring "turret_01_tbtur"//hardpoint
          cstring "devtr01"   //mesh
          cstring ""          //destroyed mesh
          float 32.07         //hitpoints
        }
        CHUNK "BULL"
        {
          long 4
        }
        FORM "MOVS"
        {
          CHUNK "LIMT"
          {
            float 180.0
            float 180.0
            float 90.0
          }
          CHUNK "BARL"
          {
            cstring "tbturg"
          }
        }
      }
    }
Keeping in mind, of course, that you first have to create and place the hardpoint on the mesh.
A few notes (ignoring the self-explanatory stuff):
As far as I know, turret hitpoints don't make any difference (for fighters), because they can't be destroyed separately from the ship anyway. For the same reason, the destroyed mesh is irrelevant, and can be left blank like above.
The LIMT chunk denotates the limits of the gun barrel's rotation, in the order x, y, z. The last should never go beyond 90, or the turret's barrel will be able to face its own base :). As for the other two, 180 is usually fine, but you can limit it by reducing this amount (since 180 is essentially total freedom, increasing it won't do much).
Finally, the BARL chunk denotates what mesh is used for the gun barrel.
Oh yeah, and BULL has nothing to do with cows - it's the type of the gun being used :).

Originally posted by Quarto
Now that's pretty... but what faction's markings are those? :)

Shhhh! Stop poking your nose into my evil scheme, will ya? ;) Let's just say that's an independent faction, and nothing related to Standoff, BTW.

Thanks for the turrets explanation... the code was in KW's tutorial, I just couldn't figure out what half of it did... but now I realize that there's not much to understand there :p

--Eder

Okay, but, uhm..... how do I make the turret act like a rear turret instead of a top turret? Not only is the firing arc wrong, but the rotation of the turret mesh too... oh, and somehow my armor disappeared.

Here's what I've got so far... the turret still needs fixing, but the ship looks good nonetheless:

shot0004.png

shot0005.png

Okay. Feedback and help on the turret and armor troubles are appreciated.

--Eder

Yay! I figured out how to fix everything myself... pretty simple actually.
Anyway, now this beauty works! :) :)

--Eder

Ah, right, I forgot to mention that - it's not enough to just place a hardpoint, you gotta rotate it in the right direction, too. What tool are you using for hardpoints? Thomas' Hardpoint Editor (GLTurret), or are you entering them manually into the code? If you're using GLTurret, enter the following data into the matrix:
-1, 0, 0
0, 0, -1
0, -1, 0
This will result in the turret base facing backwards, and, IIRC, the gun barrel facing upwards (but it's the base that's important, because it determines the rotation arc). By comparison, the default arrangement:
1, 0, 0
0, 1, 0
0, 0, 1
...results in the turret base facing upwards, and the gun barrel facing forwards. If you need any other arrangements, just ask.

As for the armour troubles, I don't know exactly what is the matter - presumably, you might have misentered the code, or I might have misentered it, and either way, somehow the armour code got stuffed up. I'd be very happy to fix it for ya :D. Yes, yes I would do anything to get my hands onto your models ;).

Independent faction, eh? Nothing to do with Standoff... hmm, most interesting :).

Originally posted by Eder
Yay! I figured out how to fix everything myself... pretty simple actually.
Anyway, now this beauty works!
Curses! All that typing for nothing? :p

Sorry, Q, but I was quicker! :)
I opened up the code in modelc and realized that all those zeros and ones were vectors... so I just went by trial and error until I got them right (WCP's switched axis didn't help...)

As for the armor, the code was before the turret code. I just put it after the turret code (like I saw in the devastator code), and it worked.

Looks like I'm not so stupid after all... who'd have known, huh? :p

Edit: Now that the Sabre's done (something I thought I could never pull off!), there's only one more ship that I consider myself incapable of modelling.... the Broadsword! However, I've had enough challenges for now, so I'll probably get some more simple ships into the WCP engine, while JarJarThomas finishes texturing the Standoff Kilrathi fighters... then it's back to work on Standoff again!

--Eder

Why don't you just take the WCMDF's Broadsword and modify it a bit? It'll be a lot easier this way :).

Originally posted by Quarto
Why don't you just take the WCMDF's Broadsword and modify it a bit? It'll be a lot easier this way.

Eh... that's easier, alright, but... where's the fun?! :) Plus, I'm such a god damn perfectionist, I could never base my work on something that I didn't do ;)

Now, please help me out a little more, guys... Are there any tutorials on mission programming? I'd like to give that a try. (I need to put that independent faction to work, you know :D) What do I need?

--Eder

If it wasn't for all the UE-related work, I'd have done it a long time ago :p. But hey, I'll get around to it eventually :).

In the meantime, Eder, I'm afraid you can't even download the main tool (WCPPas) or access the help files for it :(. However, regardless of if you already have WCPPas, or if you are using an older tool of some sort, post questions and you'll get answers :).

I have all the compilers I found on HCl's and Thomas B's page, but I have no idea where to start, and the help files don't :)

All I know is that the mission is compiled from several text files, one for flags, one for objects, etc... I guess I could put a piranha in an empty sector of space if I really tried, but I have no idea how to do the programming itself.
Any suggestions? :p

--Eder

Several text files? Dang, that's pretty much the hardest editor available out there :p. Well, I suppose if you have all the editors available, you should have Thomas' Misb2 in there somewhere - that's a much simpler one to use, though it had some bugs (IIRC) and it was somewhat limited (it helped with the simple stuff, but harder things you had to program yourself). That should be the best option for a start, though you'll soon enough have to start learning programming in WCP's C-like language. Which, I can assure you, is a pain :p.

I don't suppose you have WCPPas, though? That one wasn't available from Thomas' main files page - you had to register to a mailing list (the exact data about how to do that was posted on Thomas' news page), and then you would have been told where to download it from.

Back