Ikea

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Damn, these things are a customer trap. They're all built to walk you through the entire merchandise lineup of the store. It's like being required to walk up and down every aisle. And they really suck for DVD shelves.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Damn, these things are a customer trap. They're all built to walk you through the entire merchandise lineup of the store. It's like being required to walk up and down every aisle. And they really suck for DVD shelves.

You just found out? :D

If you want DVD shelves, you might want to try a more conventional furniture store...

supposedly there are 'shortcuts' to each different department, but the thing is nobody can see them or find them because they don't have any signs.

My friend once went in to Ikea to buy a new computer chair and he was trapped in there for three and a half hours.
I try to avoid Ikea if I can because it saps my will to live.

Originally posted by ChrisReid

Suncoast(tm) has a sale on DVD shelfs right now -- bought one last weekend... holds 270-or-so keepcases. So, I can buy 270 more DVDs now. It's my favorite shelf right now, because it can actually fit all 40 TOS DVDs and the first six movies on one shelf.

As for Ikeas, every one is exactly the same. The Ikea I went to in France is an exact clone of the Ikea I go to in the US. They're tough to get through, but you can race through all the display crap. You can also go in backwards... if it's too busy to go through the cash registers in the bottom, you can climb through the cart tunnel and wind up at the end.

The best thing Ikea has is these long tube pillows. Mine is red and orange.

Suncoast is a great idea.. I was gonna go to the FYE also in the mall.. but I'll have to check suncoast out too. Tried some random funiture stores and circuit city type places.. God, I didn't know people bought CDs anymore.. all these places have tons of CD racks and very little in the way of DVD racks. FYE did have ~300 DVD shelves.. and so that's what I'm looking for if Suncoast has something better.

The ones at Suncoast(tm)s here are on sale through the end of the month, IIRC. $40 for a ~277 DVD wooden shelf. You build it yourself... took me about half an hour.

FYE is kind of crazy-evil. They've bought just about every other music store in my area... there's a mall up near Baltimore that actually has three FYEs in it now because they replaced the other stores.

What kind of DVD collection do you have, anyway? Have you set up a DVD Profiler account? (Mine's at http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=banditloaf, if anyone's interested in seeing the kind of crud I watch).

I have about 200 DVDs.. No profiler or anything though. Took a look at the Suncoast one you were talking about. I have a shelf right now that holds 100. I want one in the 300 DVD range.. but I want it to fit a very specific place with only about 41 inches of height. All the 300 DVD racks are up around 45. Just a little bit too tall.

Back