IFF questions

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Hi Q, hi KW... it's me again :p

Don't worry, it's just a quickie one today:
Why doesn't texture converter open some of the gameflow graphics (claiming that they don't have a FRAM form, when some of them actually have dozens of those :D)? And why does IFF tools give me a range check error on half of the IFFs I try to open (including all the stuff in the gameflow folder)?

Am I even supposed to use those tools to edit those files? (I'm assuming that is the case simply because I don't know any other tools :))

--Eder

About texconv, im not sure...maybe you're tryng to open animated mats? Those arent actually textures, but a sequence that is used in the animation.

About the iff tool, are you tryng to open mesh files? Some are too big for iff editor to open...perhaps the case with the other files too, or they format.

What files are you tryng to edit?

Well, I recall having trouble opening gameflow graphics too. I eventually gave up on this - it's not opening existing gameflow files that interests us, it's creating new ones ;). And that... that we can do easily, you just need to bug me long enough for me to explain how to :p.

As for your second problem, I'll use the same advice that I've used for many, many other problems like this. Don't use antiquated tools... use WCPPas. It slices, it dices, it loads IFFs no matter their size (but you'll wait a while with bigger ones). More importantly, it is the only IFF-related tool that is actually still in development - meaning that if you run into a bug, a problem, or merely have a new feature to suggest, you can always ask Thomas to do something about it.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious WCPPas hint, Q. I forgot that it opens IFFs too... (I never messed around with it much, considering I'm not any good at any mission making, at least for now)

Anyway, I'll try doing my stuff in it when I get the chance.

--Eder

Hey, how come when I replaced one of the FRAMs in simulatr.iff with that of one of my own mats the game crashed? My FRAM has the same dimensions as the original one had, so that can't be a problem... (In case it makes any difference, I tried to replace the "unselected mission 0 button" image... you know, I was just trying to get rid of all that horrible cyan and replace it with the much better-looking "WC2 savegame computer" Red and Green theme ;))

I figured that it would at least show up using a different (as in weird :)) palette, or something like that, but it didn't show up at all. Whenever I enter the sim, the game just crashes.

BTW, KW: your dreadnought now has a beautiful hangar. I've made two different hangars for it, actually. One has about 900 faces, the other has like 10... I need to know which one you'd prefer to use so I can get down to texturing it. Oh, just to make sure.... the hangar is just that small bit on the front of the ship, right? The thing that looks like the hangar's texture, but has a red color and goes all the way through the back of the ship is not a hangar too, right?

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder
Hey, how come when I replaced one of the FRAMs in simulatr.iff with that of one of my own mats the game crashed? My FRAM has the same dimensions as the original one had, so that can't be a problem...
Whoa, the only alteration I ever made to simulatr.iff was to hack it so that missions 9 and 10 are always available (even in SO). Other than that, I did try, once, to alter one of the menus to set it at the centre of the screen (for higher resolutions), but that resulted in crashes. It's an unmapped area you're entering... if you get anywhere, be sure to tell us how ;).

The thing that looks like the hangar's texture, but has a red color and goes all the way through the back of the ship is not a hangar too, right?
Left... I mean, wrong :). The dreadnought's hangar runs through the front section, and then through the central section (the bit you're referring to). No hangar in the rear bit, though.

Originally posted by Quarto
It's an unmapped area you're entering... if you get anywhere, be sure to tell us how.
Sure thing. It'd be great to teach you guys something, for a change :)

Originally posted by Quarto
Left... I mean, wrong :). The dreadnought's hangar runs through the front section, and then through the central section (the bit you're referring to). No hangar in the rear bit, though.

Aw, crap. KW, in this case, the hi-res hangar will have something like 2000 faces, which I don't think is worth the detail it adds...

--Eder

Back