if you could design a wing commander game

$tormin

Vice Admiral
lets say you got the rights to make wing commander games and the money to make two. but they both have to sell very well to make a profit.
what would it be like. plot, cutscenes etc..

My first one would be
Privateer:Galaxy
where you can fly throughout the whole WC universe (but the graphics are not the best to conserve space)
the primary objective of the game is to use the stellar accretion device to fly into the nephilm territories and make sure they never invade.

there will be two ways to buy ships. there are pre built ships (like privateer) or there are basic hulls that you have to buy everything for. and you are not stuck to single person ships. you can get any sized ship you want.
and it would be fully multiplayer. your stuff would be saved online so nobody can use any "trainers"

what do you think?

Although I am a great fan of Privateer, I am a bit uncertain if Confed would turn to privateers for dealing with the Nephilim. That would be something for Confed's military as they cannot risk of getting alien technology fall into mercenary hands or so. Therefore I would in your case make two games, one with Confed's military and one as a privateer. Or you make you game that way that the player can choose wether he wants to fly for Confed or or act as a privateer but I think it would be hard to connect the stories of these two. But being able to fly ships larger than fighters and to customize them by myself appeals a lot to me.

but you don't to to the nephilm home with confeds permission :) you have to fight or sneak your way past the blockade.
and you don't need to just buy your ships. you disable a battle cruiser and if you have hired a crew you get to keep it :) untill someone else comes along and takes it from you.
hell you don't even need to fly human ships or be human

[Edited by $tormin on 04-15-2001 at 17:06]

Well, I'd like a game which mix stragegy (like Fleet Command) and space combat simulation... yep, that would be great...

my ultimate game would be the following: Wing Commander: Twilight, which deals with a darker path, you fight for either the UBW or FRL and are in a loosing and hopeless battle against the nephilim, your friends are killed often, and all hope is lost, the game ends with your home planet being destroyed and you dying, but in the process sets up for the next game which would be :Dawn and would be a resurgence that while still and uphill battle, would leave the good guys on top. But twilight would be my fav simply b/c I love the loosing battle

Mmmmm... maybe something that we never saw in earlier WC games but it could be the sequence for WCSO.
You are a Kilrahti pilot serving aboard a Confed carrier, and this carrier have the misson to go into Bug territory and stabilish a bridge head to the main Confed task force...
But there you eventualy find Blair, and...
Does anyone have any idea for the rest?

Originally posted by NoRemorse
Well, I'd like a game which mix stragegy (like Fleet Command) and space combat simulation... yep, that would be great...

Yes, a re-vamped Armada could be quite cool.

And $tormin: I think that Stellar accreation device would just be too well guarded to sneak in. But I don't want to spoil your idea with unnecassary realism. :)
But commanding a large ship would really interest me, especially if I can grab them by myself, like you proposed.

My next WC game would be a sequel to SOPS. This time the bugs start a real big invasion with some decent ships. The Terrans would be tinkering with the stellar accreation device, somwhow activating it and causing several wormholes to open just in the vicinity of Sol. The Nephilim would spread all over the SOL sector, cutting communication between the terran sectors. You, being perhaps stationed in the Epsilon or Gemini sector had to make allies with the Kilrathi (which should play a major part again, this time as your allies, as the Vasudans in Freespace). Then you slowly make contact with the surviving human sectors. Your objective would be to cover the human retreat away from the inner sectors. You would "win" when you managed to reach safety but you would not be able to get rid of the the bugs infestation of the core worlds of humanity. And the fate of the "backward" sectors (Argent, Hawking and Avalon= would remain unknown. the liberation of the Terran systems (if possible at all) would be topic of the next game. Perhaps a clue in alien (Hari, Mantu or Kilrathi) stories is found how to effectively destroy the bugs.
Or a pre-WC1 game...

And $tormin: I think that Stellar accreation device would just be too well guarded to sneak in. But I don't want to spoil your idea with unnecassary realism.
cloaking device:D

and i would have it so you do find blair. sorta like this.

"alright bug. blair better be here"
"right through the door human."
door opens
"oh my god! you basterds killed him and put him on display."
you shoot your prisoner.

Originally posted by $tormin

My first one would be
Privateer:Galaxy
where you can fly throughout the whole WC universe (but the graphics are not the best to conserve space)
the primary objective of the game is to use the stellar accretion device to fly into the nephilm territories and make sure they never invade.

there will be two ways to buy ships. there are pre built ships (like privateer) or there are basic hulls that you have to buy everything for. and you are not stuck to single person ships. you can get any sized ship you want.
and it would be fully multiplayer. your stuff would be saved online so nobody can use any "trainers"

Sounds good...actually, it sounds kinda like Privateer Online (R.I.P?). To be honest, I don't know what the stellar accretion device does, so I'm assuming it opens wormholes to Nephilem space. That kinda game might be fun...fighting off the endless Hordes of bugs...you'd need a pretty hefty graphics engine, though...or a really old one. :) And of course, you'de never be able to completely stop them, because if that's the whole point of the game, then once you do that, it's game over, and online games NEVER end. :) Maybe you could issue updates., a la Asheron's Call...

Don't know if it'd sell, though...I'd buy it, but I don't know how well space games sell these days...:(. It'd have to be easy enough for the novice weened on Deer Hunter, and challenging enough for the guy who thinks WC2 was too easy...:) It all comes down to execution.

(By the way, I heard a similar idea about using older graphics. It was about using the Monkey Island engine (yes, the ORIGINAL monkey island engine) to make a sequal ten thousand times bigger. Please leave your insults at the door. ;)

Originally posted by Nebula
Mmmmm... maybe something that we never saw in earlier WC games but it could be the sequence for WCSO.
You are a Kilrahti pilot serving aboard a Confed carrier, and this carrier have the misson to go into Bug territory and stabilish a bridge head to the main Confed task force...
But there you eventualy find Blair, and...

...gives you secret bug technology to build an outpost, and then "dies". Again. So you'd have to play Simbase, building up resourses on your base, all the while fending off massive bug attacks like those in Starship Trooper (actually., I never saw the movie, but I heard the bugs swarm). Kinda like that updated Armada people'er talking about...though I envision a more "Battlezone in Space" feel, commanding your armada from the cockpit (which can conviently be a Midway-class megacarrier...or Kilrathi dreadnough, orr what have you :) ), and handling base affairs at base. And take a wrong turn, and you're suddenly got The Horde charging at you endlessly with no hope of relief. So Napoleon would get his Twilight game... :)

Originally posted by $tormin
"alright bug. blair better be here"
"right through the door human."
door opens
"oh my god! you basterds killed him and put him on display."
you shoot your prisoner.

"Oh my god! They killed Blair! You bastards!" :)

Sounds good...actually, it sounds kinda like Privateer Online (R.I.P?). To be honest, I don't know what the stellar accretion device does, so I'm assuming it opens wormholes to Nephilem space. That kinda game might be fun...fighting off the endless Hordes of bugs...you'd need a pretty hefty graphics engine, though...or a really old one.
slightly lower graphics engine and the enemies would come at you in huge waves instead of all at once. but if you get a carrier and several squaderens through the gate you can do some real damage.
anyways that mission wouldn't be untill near the end. and its not going to be just nephilm space you go to. you will meet up with an old (very old) friend :)
hint: 2.5 billion years OLD
And of course, you'de never be able to completely stop them, because if that's the whole point of the game, then once you do that, it's game over, and online games NEVER end. Maybe you could issue updates., a la Asheron's Call...
the online version (add on?} wouldn't have the final quest. though you could still go to nephilm space.
Don't know if it'd sell, though...I'd buy it, but I don't know how well space games sell these days.... It'd have to be easy enough for the novice weened on Deer Hunter, and challenging enough for the guy who thinks WC2 was too easy... It all comes down to execution.

(By the way, I heard a similar idea about using older graphics. It was about using the Monkey Island engine (yes, the ORIGINAL monkey island engine) to make a sequal ten thousand times bigger. Please leave your insults at the door.

*kicks down the door and sets the house on fire.*
that what you mean?
:p

Well here'a two ideas I'd love to see, that wouldn't sell very well though. 1- a new privateer game that essentially played like wcIV in battle.
2- Similar to Napoleon's Idea the player would be with the boarder worlds, and losing badly but it would take place at the end of the kilrathi war, most missions would have you flying a ferret.

Two ideas I'd like to see get done:

1- A new Privateer game set during the Prophecy timeframe, where you'd battle Kilrathi rebels, Retros, pirates, and maybe an occasional Nephilim. Ok, ok, I confess. It's not really such a good idea, but I'd sell my soul just to see the Gemini sector of the 80's, and actually fly inside Perry Naval Base :p

2- A game set during the early stages of the war, either before WC1, or between WC1 and WC2. I don't know if any interesting conflicts happened during that period, but there's a 10 year gap there which I'd like to go over :)

--Eder

My thoughts:

A game set where the Keith's FC trilogy was going to be. It would be great to not just fly for the Landreich, but to get the question answered once and for all whether they played any part in the formation of the Union of Border Worlds. And if they did, as a die hard Border Worlder, I'd love to be involved in that.

A conclusion to the Prophecy saga. I would like to see just what is driving the bugs, where they come from, what they want, ect. And of course, we need to teach them that they picked the wrong species to mess with.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Napoleon
my ultimate game would be the following: Wing Commander: Twilight, which deals with a darker path, you fight for either the UBW or FRL and are in a loosing and hopeless battle against the nephilim, your friends are killed often, and all hope is lost, the game ends with your home planet being destroyed and you dying, but in the process sets up for the next game which would be :Dawn and would be a resurgence that while still and uphill battle, would leave the good guys on top. But twilight would be my fav simply b/c I love the loosing battle

On this theme: A universe where the Black Lance did win after all, and all of Confed is a totalitarian state, with the Border Worlds and Landreich having been crushed, and the Kilrathi being reduced to a s subject province. Then, at long last, a rebellion against impossible odds...

On second thoughts, maybe a little to much like Star Wars Episode IV :D

Best, Raptor

Hmmm

I'd shoot for a Wing Commander version of Force Commander meets Civilization: More about moving of fleets appropreately, launching the fight and then getting in the pilots seat...

wait, that was Armada...

Armada's Campaign was an incredibly addictive game to me. I went nuts for it, though I wish you could have more than one cap ship. So, an updated version of Armada would be a dream...imagine better than Prophecy graphics, multiplay with Fleet fighting.

So Armada meets that...Star Trek...game...the one that someone's making a WC conversion for. You know what i'm talkin about...

-J

I think a really cool game would be your a Kilrathi pilot during the war. I guess it could take place wc2-3-ish. Imagine being on the other side of an attack on the Concordia. Or taking on the crew of the Victory before Blair. Maybe include the Battle of Earth, and fly off a Hakaga. You'd pilot the whole range of Kilrathi craft.

If not that, then an RTS type thing. Kind of a combination of Star Wars: Rebellion and Star Trek: Birth of the Federation and Imperium Galactica 2. Something along the lines of you are..uh..Banbridge I guess or Thrakath, and you have the entire Confed or Imperial Armed Forces to work with. You'd manage fleet construction, ground forces, the whole shebang. It'd even go to taxes, colony settling, diplomacy (BW, Landreich, Pirates, Aliens) That would be an awesome game.

Back