If Hobbes hadn't been the traitor...

Near the end it was.Only one though....in the scene was Maestro too..

Maniac and Blair should be more together in WCP , but remember that Maniac was a still active Figher Pilot but Blair was not....
They had different duties...

What I didnt like in WCP was the behavior of Blair when he flew again after a lot of time."Blair is back" etc...

He made me MAD with his childish behavior,he reminded me Maniac

i agree with you there about Blair... he did have a chip on his shoulder but all he wanted wat to fly again... Maniac seemed aged in that movie... at the very start when he makes fun of Casey, that was funny but after that he was just seemed like an old pilot that was bitter... not a great send off for one of the best... however he was kinda funny in that last mission for WCP...

Getting back to the original topic, I think Hobbes was the perfect choice to be the traitor. They could have given one of the new characters like Flint or Vagabond a convenient background story and reason to betray the Confederation, but they chose Hobbes, a character that we've known for a while and learned to trust, instead.

I didn't expect it to be Hobbes at all. The fact that he was a Kilrathi made it so overwhelmingly obvious that I'd dismissed the possibility early on. All of this added to the impact of Wing Commander III's story. If the traitor had been someone else, I doubt that the game would've had quite the same feel to it.

You are right about that...Hobbes one of Confed`s best pilot who have killed many many many Kilrathi .....a traitor...

Damn, I missed Wc2 and played after Wc1 ,Wc3 so I didnt know much about Hobbes (I didnt had Freedom Flight then too) so I always suspected Hobbes

Poor Hobbes. I knew him, Horatio.
A cat of infinite jest. :)

I hate to say it, but I always knew it was Hobbes. As the only cat onboard, he was the obvious suspect (despite the writers attempts to blind you with pity for Hobbes). I did like the Memory Overlay ala Manchurain Canidate, it redeems Hobbes and condems Ralgah nar Hallas (put THAT in your Zen pipe and ponder it! :D ).

I finished the book before I finished the game and my initial thoughts would be that it was Cobra who would be the traitor( I came to this conclusion about half way through the book). Because the book talks about Cobra having a Personality Overlay and when the transmission came through from Thrakhath, that eventually triggered Hobbes' overlay, she talked about having headaches.
Sure Cobra hated the Cats with a passion, but they could program that into the P.O.
That way it would also be kind of poetic.:)

now that would have been a cool twist... i'll be honest, i didn't mind that Hobbes killed Cobra... i was pissed that when you go after Hobbes and Vaquero(sp?) dies but losing Cobra was no big deal... i never flew with her....

How very cold of you, Millzy! :) Not that I liked Cobra that much either, but still...

And I wish that the personality overlay explanation redeemed Hobbes, but all it does is destroy him, showing him to be nothing more than a pretense, and that Ralgha was the true personality. At least Ralgha still held Blair in high esteem and granted him much honour, even if it was Kilrathi honour...

Originally posted by Wedge009
At least Ralgha still held Blair in high esteem and granted him much honour, even if it was Kilrathi honour...
That's something that I thought was kindof good for closure, though the scene didn't make it to the PC version. The holo message was almost like Ralgha let the Hobbes persona take over for his message to Blair, he did seem genuinely upset that his course of action was already laid out for him.
A cat of infinite jest.
He hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!

C-ya

Originally posted by Viper61
That's something that I thought was kindof good for closure, though the scene didn't make it to the PC version. The holo message was almost like Ralgha let the Hobbes persona take over for his message to Blair, he did seem genuinely upset that his course of action was already laid out for him.

Well no matter how you look at it, Ralgha was Hobbes for an awfully long time. No matter how much the personality overlay messed him up, he probably still had many of the same attachments that he did while he was Hobbes. Ralgha would have retained all of Hobbes's memories, after all. So Blair, who stuck up for him, and who was someone that even the Kilrathi admired, would have been someone that Ralgha was unhappy to upset, as well.

Yet he was still bound by his Kilrathi honour to return to them and betray Confed. I suppose he wouldn't be happy about upsetting Blair, but he still transmitted the plans for the Behemoth and attempted to send the plans for the Temblor Bomb (admittedly, if your homeworld is at stake, you'd do the same thing), he still gutted Cobra, and he still chose to confront Blair in combat. I suppose the last point is honourable... ack, I still don't like it. And now we're going to end up in another endless, circuitous debate. :/

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
He knew that and he told that to Blair.IN the deleted sequence of WC3.
Yes, but we don't know if he knew the truth. Remember, while the Ralgha personality felt it was the real one, but the Hobbes personality also had no doubts about itself :).

I have accepted the truth that you were once Hobbes, my wingman and friend. You haven't lost your real self, you've only forgotten it. I feel the good in you.

I've yet to find a Mark Hamill Star Wars reference pertaining to Wing Commander remotely funny.

Back