If Hobbes hadn't been the traitor...

Crowley

Rear Admiral
...who do you think it should've been and why? At least I thought the identity overlay stuff was a bit too cheesy. And hey, Hobbes is cool!

After considering this question, I came to the conclusion that my personal preference would've been Vaquero. Hypothetically speaking: he's from the Border Worlds (I think), and feels uneasy about how the Behemoth would be used after it destroys Kilrah. The thing is too valuable to scrap. Somebody within the Confederation would end up using the thing to enforce his/her/their view. Although Vaquero has no love for the Kilrathi, this is the best opportunity he has to destroy Behemoth. He might get the information on how to contact Kilrathi from Hobbes, who coincides with his view after a long debate, having seen how devastating internal power struggles can be among his own kind.

Blair: "Vaquero, do you have any idea what this means? For the war? For you?"
Vaquero: "Yes sir, but I'd rather die free than live as a slave."
Blair: "You just might get your wish."

Some of the reasons for this solution were to avoid repeating the Mandarin stuff of WC2 too much. Also, Vaquero seems the most unlikely traitor, and this wouldn't make him exactly a spy, and he doesn't play a major part in the plot as it is. Here is also a fair chance for redemption and to get him back flying. At this point of the war pilots we can use any pilot we can get, and he acts basically out of slightly misguided patriotism, much like Tolwyn in WC4. I considered Rollins, but despite his pessimism, I really can't see him as a traitor. Also some have been suggesting Cobra, but I REALLY can't see how someone who has been once imprisoned by the kilrathi and harbors a strong hatred for them would do that.

I sincerely believed it was Cobra. She could have been a sleeper agent who the Kilrathi "allowed" to escape. I would have actually preferred it to be Cobra, since I didn't like her anyway. Hobbes, oh Hobbes, why'd it have to be you?

You've got a Point Excelsis, I mean I said Rollins as a joke, but Cobra does seem a better choice, since she was held captive by the Kilrathi since an early age

Never considered Cobra from that point of view... Damn! I trusted her show of hatred for kilrathi sincerely. I withdraw my previous statements, and vote for Cobra. Seems even more unlikely at first that she'd be collaborating with the kilrathi. Maybe she could send Rollins to sickbay with that nasty-looking knife of hers. Kind of pastiche of what Jazz did, you know?

Poor Hobbes. I knew him, Horatio.

When I played WC3 for the first time, I thought it was Cobra - probably under some sort of brainwashing or stockholm syndrome?

- Crowley, I'd have liked to have seen that scene :D

That identity overlay thing and brainwashing just feel too cheesy for me. Stockholm syndrome, on the other hand... Seeing as Cobra was a rather extreme warrior personality, I think she might have very well identified with the Kilrathi.

Originally posted by Crowley
Never considered Cobra from that point of view... Damn! I trusted her show of hatred for kilrathi sincerely. I withdraw my previous statements, and vote for Cobra. Seems even more unlikely at first that she'd be collaborating with the kilrathi. Maybe she could send Rollins to sickbay with that nasty-looking knife of hers. Kind of pastiche of what Jazz did, you know?

Poor Hobbes. I knew him, Horatio.

Death to Radio (Paranoid) Rollins. Wish he'd been stabbed instead of Cobra.

What would have been really wild would be if Maniac was the traitor. Jealous of his longtime rival Blair, Maniac decides to supply information to the Kilrathi in exchange for a promise from Thrakhath that he will kill Blair.... Nah Maniac's not that smart :rolleyes:

Originally posted by panther
When I played WC3 for the first time, I thought it was Cobra - probably under some sort of brainwashing or stockholm syndrome?

- Crowley, I'd have liked to have seen that scene :D

"Stockholm Syndrome"?... Plz x-plain... : :confused:

Originally posted by TC
Here 's a good brief overview.

Cool. Thx.

Interesting; from the context of the thread I thought that might be what was being referred to, I just wasn't aware of the *name* of that syndrome...

When I played the game I really thought it was Cobra becuase she was always trying to blame Hobbes for everything. I never expected him to be the traitor.

When I first played the game, I didn't know that there was a traitor custom in Wing Commander. I guess if I suspected anyone it was Rollins, trying to save his own butt, thinking we were going to lose the war.

I like the Cobra idea... she ws so messed up from the Cats... it would have been a crazy twist... I did like how it was Hobbes... but the first time I played it, i chose Revenge and shot his ass down... But now I don't... i like fighting him on the final run... I don't like the idea of it being Maniac... he wouldn't do that... even if he and Blair didn't see eye to eye, they were a great team...

After completing WC 3 without cheats, I decided to try out the invulnerable cheat. So at that nav point with Thrakrath and Hobbes, I didn't decloak, just rammed everything there.

I believe no one in the Victory would Betray the Confed for some reason.Even Hobbes old personality (before the Trigger) would never betray the Confed without the Trigger.....

I Still like Hobbes, in the end he was so meshed up with himself

I remember playing WC3 for the first time and at the time, i hadn't played WC2 so to see a Kilrathi in a Con Fed uniform shocked me... but the Hobbes character was great in WC3... all thsoe scenes with him and Blair were great.... although i think that Blair's true best friend was Maniac... certainly in WC4... there wasn't a scene with Blair and Maniac in WCP and I was a little dissapointed about that...

Back