Idiocracy

Ptarmigan

Spaceman
I just saw Idiocracy in the theaters. It is directed by Mike Judge and had limited release due to offending some people and litigations filed by Costco, Fuddruckers, and Starbucks. It almost got shelved for good as a result. It was released in only 8 cities and 125 theaters. Actually, it is a really funny movie. Private Joe Bowers and a prostitute named Rita are frozen and are forgotten and fast forward to 500 years later. America has gotten dumber. All the dumb people reproduce like rabbits. The world is infested with litter and people are dumb. Bowers and Rita are the smartest. Everyone has barcodes and half of America is employed by a large drink company. Starbucks is a brothel, while Costco rules the world. Everyone is named after a giant retailer or company and wear clothings with their logos. You should see it.

Lt.Death100 said:
Concept seems pretty off-the-wall but really 8 cities? That won't do well at the box office.

That's what they call limited release... Depending on the quality the movies either then go to video or into wide release into hundreds if not at least a thousand screens. Yet in limited release movies often gross many time more per screen that major hollywood films in wide release. (Some major movies have debuted on 2500+ screens but at that rate even a low per-screen average can bring in tens of millions of dollars.)

i wonder what the minimum amount of tickets sold for a movie to go from limited release to world wide release is... or do you think its done by some other statistic?

Well it may not make it to the large cinemas or may not get a translation but it is probable that some small cinemas pick it.

Oooh... sounds interesting. Probably won't be showing anywhere in Canada, but I'll keep an eye out for the DVD release.

Back