Idea: Tips for new players

Theseus

Spaceman
I've been a gamer for a long time, but didn't really get into the forum thing until Civilization 3... in that world (no pun intended), I am pretty well known. One of the things I've done quite a bit has been to start threads and fora to help newer players.

Well, when it comes to PrM, I NEED THAT MYSELF!! :)

I'm still in my first game, still with a Tarsus, close to fully upgraded, and have about 200k... I'm thinking that it might be good for the community if we were to start a thread for newer players, and maybe I could be the newbie.

Thoughts?

Theseus said:
I've been a gamer for a long time, but didn't really get into the forum thing until Civilization 3... in that world (no pun intended), I am pretty well known. One of the things I've done quite a bit has been to start threads and fora to help newer players.

Well, when it comes to PrM, I NEED THAT MYSELF!! :)

I'm still in my first game, still with a Tarsus, close to fully upgraded, and have about 200k... I'm thinking that it might be good for the community if we were to start a thread for newer players, and maybe I could be the newbie.

Thoughts?

I'm about the same except that i have about 800k (Gotta love those 47k rescue pilot missions... mn.... I probably made 30 times more money off my tractor beam than my guns, and 5 times more off it than my jump engine), and have completed two story line missions.

I wouldn;t mind soem newbie help either.

I wouldn't mind a rescue mission that paid 47K instead of 4.7 ... and I need to get up some cash to buy a tractor beam.

RE: Privateer 1

It's an interesting game. Very different from Freelancer. The ability to spacefold (jump) between starsystems was straight forward in Freelancer and a pain in Privateer 1. I'm having a headache of a time just trying to figure out how to get the ship to jump from one system to the other in Privateer 1.

Spacefold? You must be a Robotech fan.

In order to JUMP to the next system, you have to buy a jump drive first. They are a bit expensive when you first start out so the only thing you can do is to only take on in-system jobs until you can afford a jump drive.

- buy a jump drive
- fly into a jump point
- press j

You have fuel for six jumps. Your are automatically refuelled when you land.

hi,
if you were to say there was a golden triangle in the game a system or gorup of systems where you could easly make the max profit just running goods between a couple locals what would it be?
-Patrick

I think smuggling contraband to New Detroit and taking goods back to a pirate base would give you the best return for trading. I go back and forth between KM-252 and New Detroit for an easy smuggling run.

I don't think the militia and confeds scan for contraband often enough. It is very easy to smuggle.

Actually, Once you have a jump drive, I have found that just running cargo missions all around the quadrant to give me the easiest money. The missions return more money than you could make by just trading alone.

--Brandon Young

Newbie Priority List

Here's my idea of a Newbie Priority List feel free to pick my IDEAS apart. :)

Missles
Tractor Beam
Jumpdrive
Merchand Guild Membership
Afterburner
Shield Upgrade
New Ship

I would move the afterburners to the top of the list. It's the very first thing I buy. Also you can't use the shield upgrade effectively without the Reactor upgrade to give you the power to drive it.

My priority list is
Afterburners,
Tungsten armor and hull,
meson blasters,
Reactor upgrade
Shield upgrade
Jump drive
Merchant guild membership
Ecm 3
Repair droid,
Tachyon guns

If I am doing any serious fighting, I upgrade my scanner to a hunter 6i to give me friend or foe status and lock capability. No need to get the best scanner until I get my better ship.

Although I carry them, I rarely fire missles, I'm too cheap. I keep thinking that each shot is costing me money.

--Brandon Young

As in old game. Missiles, missiles, missiles. Later you can try to use guns but do that when there is 1 on 1 fight.

BTW i'm using mouse to steer and i'm wondering if joystick works well as it used to work and those tracking guns are unnecessary. Was there any of those in old game?

Sami said:
BTW i'm using mouse to steer and i'm wondering if joystick works well as it used to work and those tracking guns are unnecessary. Was there any of those in old game?
There was no auto-tracking in the original - and by all accounts, it will be removed in future versions of P:R.

Joystick works quite well in the game. I must admit that I prefer using the mouse, but probably because I've gamed a lot with the mouse since my joystick days ;-). That said, there's the "fun factor" to consider. Joysticks are a lot more fun (if it's a good, light stick), IMHO. Same with my racing wheel.

I personally have not used missiles as much as most. My starting priorities are:
- Mass Drivers
- Afterburners
- Jump Drive or Tractor Beam
- Other one from above
- Neutron Guns
- Cargo Expansion, or a Galaxy :p

Basically I try to get up to a Galaxy as quickly as possible. I find it's a very powerful ship that can bring its guns to bear better than the Centurion because of the turrets. In the original, the Cent was better because there was no turret AI...

My armament? Right now I run 2 Plasmas in the front, 2 Tachyon turrets, Missile Launcher with ImRecs and a Tractor Beam. Spirit said some stuff about upgrading the AI a bit - one thing it should do is tractor in non-contraband when you have room, like her capship turrets currently do. That way you could have 2 missile launchers, but it makes rescues a bit harder since you can't rely on just flying in on full burn and snagging the pilot.

I'd wager that the AI automatically utilizes the turret(s) on a ship, but since I'm still in my Tarsus in the remake, I can't verify that for sure.

Automatic turrets are certainly cool, and I hate to troll but...
It seems that turret-wielding ships like the Galaxy are a bit bulky and prone to attacks. If you can stop the baddies from hitting you, I recommend laser turrets - they're cheap, their shots are quick and they offer a good damage/second ratio.

Lazy Panda said:
Automatic turrets are certainly cool, and I hate to troll but...
It seems that turret-wielding ships like the Galaxy are a bit bulky and prone to attacks.

That's exactly why they have turrets. ;)

Back