Idea for a fan project.

hurleybird

Rear Admiral
Hey guys, I have a really unique idea for a fan project that I thought I would share with you guys!

Basically, this project would be very similar to the (and cancelled) wing commander feiry ardor (ardoMUSH) project which I really enjoyed before its demise. If you've never played a MUSH before, it's a multiplayer text based role playing game that's more concerned and social interaction and character development then 'leveling up and killing things'. In fiery ardor, for example, you were a member of a confed carrier, and the majority of the game was just the day to day runnings of the ship. I'm not sure what went wrong with feiry ardor, but I think it had to do with the combat code being to hard to implement.

Now heres my unique Idea. Basically create a MUSH enviroment similar to feiry ardor with one crucial difference. Add in a real game engine for space encounters. I was thinking of using vegastrike, for its multiplayer future, and because xml could probably be used to transfer data between the mush and the engine. However, mission scripting would be a bitch. A multiplayer version of flight commander would probably work better with its simple mission scripting.

Unfortunantly, I don't have anywhere close to the skills needed to pull this thing off. If anyone could help with the mush part, and I could get some support from either VS or flight commander (or insert engine here) devs, this might be do-able.

What say you all?

Thats too bad. Freespace 2 would work good, as it has multiplayer FRED (freespace editor). sadly though, it's a commercial game.

WCRPG (the original) had started quite a bit of ground work way back when on a Privateer MUSH, but it too met it's demise during the last phases of building the universe from scratch. Needless to say, it was close-- I think the guy developing went AWOL though.

But mixing a MUSH/MUD with something like VS? It sounds like a pipedream, and I seriously doubt anything could get off the ground. Most the folks who have the time and effort to invest in a project to the community are doing so already, if even in their own subtle ways.

hurleybird said:
Thats too bad. Freespace 2 would work good, as it has multiplayer FRED (freespace editor). sadly though, it's a commercial game.

It's freeware now.:)

Dyret said:
It's freeware now.:)

Hey, right you are!

Theres still one cool thing about VS though, you can have people opperate turrets online. I'm not sure if that would work with freespace though.

So, nobody wants to help with the mush work? A couple volunteers with some experience could make this possible. If I know the VS devs, they would do a lot of work on the engine side of things too.

If this idea does get off the ground, I can see it as being the finest WC RPG yet.

hurleybird said:
So, nobody wants to help with the mush work? A couple volunteers with some experience could make this possible. If I know the VS devs, they would do a lot of work on the engine side of things too.

That part doesn't sound easy, but it sounds like right now just making a MUSH type game and keeping it running, without any fancy integrated spaceflight engine, seems like a much bigger hurdle that must be handled first.

hurleybird said:

If this idea does get off the ground, I can see it as being the finest WC RPG yet.
Well, you know how it is - generally, we're pretty sceptical about new projects, and even more sceptical about ideas for new projects. If you want to do a project, the first step would be for you to show that you're committed to it. You won't get any volunteers until people see that you're serious and capable. You have to understand, given how many fan projects never get past the "hey, I have a cool idea" stage, nobody really wants to waste their time on an unproven project.

Happy Camper said:
It is? Man I heard about that game only when it wasn't being published any more, where do I get it from. As for the MUSH idea, sounds great, go for it.

You can find it here. (when they get the damn forum back up.:()

Back