Iason

Antman

Spaceman
What class ship was the Iason? Are there any pictures?
What class ship was the Kilrathi ship that attacked the Iason? Are there any pictures?

Also, if the Kilrathi had only had space flight for what, 300 years... how did they get so advanced?

The Iason was an Odysseus-class Explorer, commanded by Captain Jedora Andropolous. There are no known images of it or the Kilrathi ship which attacked it. The Wing Commander Writer's Bible may have more information.

The Kilrathi advanced in space flight by killing other civilizations and enslaving their scientists.

Originally posted by Bob McDob
The Kilrathi advanced in space flight by killing other civilizations and enslaving their scientists.

The story of the Kilrathi gaining spaceflight is a well known humorous anecdote in Kilrathi culture. A peaceful space faring race came to Kilrah and as a gesture of good will, taught the Kilrathi how to build space ships. The Kilrathi promptly took to space and obliterated them.

I'd advise against it since this was in 2629 (?)... The Ralari is a front line destroyer almost thirty years later. Undoubtedly the fleet would have looked different back then. Anyone, does Action Stations provide us with any hints as to Kilrathi cap ships in the 30s?

Originally posted by gryphon
Anyone, does Action Stations provide us with any hints as to Kilrathi cap ships in the 30s?
Not really, the book just talks about the Kilrathi conversion from a battleship ladden fleet to one that will be dependent upon carriers. There are some ships on the front cover that you could assume were kilrathi (they do resemble the Hakaga on the front of Fleet action in design). I would say the ship that encountered the Iason would probably be either a Kilrathi exploratory vessel or a small picket corvette. Antman - use a little artistic/dramatic liscense and design your own, that way no one can cry foul.

A second thought, you could base the design upon the kilrathi ships from the WCM as they might be on their way out as we don't see them again in WC1-WC3 (except the snakier). Basing it on the Ship the crew from the Tiger Claw boarded wouldn't be a bad idea.

C-ya

Originally posted by Bob McDob
There are no known images of it or the Kilrathi ship which attacked it.

Actually, there is a small reference to the Iason encounter in the WC movie. The opening montage shows a piece of art and a radio recording of what could be the Iason reporting back to Earth it's first contact with the Kilrathi ("...it appears to be.. two or three kilometers long..." and so on). Whether this is the Iason encounter or just a first contact they made up for the movie, you'd probably have to ask someone who worked on the production.

Originally posted by gryphon
Then again we all know how true the WC Movie designs were... What with the Broadsword and all...

Yeah, I really liked the Broadswords and their torpedo mounts.

I'd advise against it since this was in 2629 (?)... The Ralari is a front line destroyer almost thirty years later. Undoubtedly the fleet would have looked different back then. Anyone, does Action Stations provide us with any hints as to Kilrathi cap ships in the 30s?

According to the Confed Handbook, the Ralari-class predates the Terran-Kilrathi war... so it's entirely possible that the K'rath'kan is a Ralari. Action Stations doesn't go into any detail about destroyer classes.

Actually, there is a small reference to the Iason encounter in the WC movie. The opening montage shows a piece of art and a radio recording of what could be the Iason reporting back to Earth it's first contact with the Kilrathi ("...it appears to be.. two or three kilometers long..." and so on). Whether this is the Iason encounter or just a first contact they made up for the movie, you'd probably have to ask someone who worked on the production.

I would guess against it -- since a destroyer wouldn't be two or three kilometers long (G)

Plus, until 2668, the only thing that could be 2-3 kilometres long would be a space station (or a ship that doesn't use a jump drive).

Originally posted by ChrisReid
The story of the Kilrathi gaining spaceflight is a well known humorous anecdote in Kilrathi culture. A peaceful space faring race came to Kilrah and as a gesture of good will, taught the Kilrathi how to build space ships. The Kilrathi promptly took to space and obliterated them.

Yeah they were playing civilization...

"The X civilization has give you the gift of SPACEFLIGHT! Now every Kilrathi primitive village will be able to produce the Dralthi"

Let me remember the movie sequence...

"It looks like two or three kilometers long."

"Copy that Sparrow, proceed."

"Wait, I think--" and then static.

Question:

Who or what is Sparrow?

Originally posted by Antman

...Also, if the Kilrathi had only had space flight for what, 300 years... how did they get so advanced?
Stop & think about what yer sayin'....

WE've only had spaceflight for, what, 40 years or so?, and yet, look how far we've advanced in that time.

Multiply that by a factor of 7.5x, plus the bloodthirsty "conquistador" mentality of the Kilrathi culture, and you've got yer answer right there...

Re: Re: Iason

Also, they had samples of alien technology to help them on their way.

Originally posted by TheFraix
Let me remember the movie sequence...
"It looks like two or three kilometers long."
"Copy that Sparrow, proceed."
"Wait, I think--" and then static.
Guess my memory's going on me.

Question:
Who or what is Sparrow?
I don't think it really matters. The ship they showed, apon second thought, had to be a Snakier, so the Sparrow probably encountered a ship that looked way to out of the normal to just ignore. They investigate, and find out it's the Kilrathi. The Sparrow could be the movie's version of the Iason, or just another ship on the list of losses from the Kilrathi's "countless acts of piracy and unwarranted agression."

"Sparrow" is the movie intro equivalent of the WC4 intro's "Russo" or the WCP intro's "Priest". Wing Commander intros like blowing up the little guy.

Back