I wish EA signed up all Origin's games on this service

Edfilho

Cry some more!
This GOG thing seems to be all kinds of awesome. Older games for 6 and 10 bucks without DRM and fully Vista and XP compatible with post-sale support.

Man, That would be awesome.

I wouldn't bet on that - this sounds like a small startup... and the games they're promoting in their splash image are the same bargain Interplay-bankruptcy titles that every similar service has their hands on.

I'd put slightly better odds on EA developing their own digital distribution system... or working out some kind of licensing agreement with their publishing partners at Valve.

I don't think Impulse is doing anything with "retro gaming" - it's a profit-shared distribution channel for current games. Releasing Wing Commander 2 through such a service isn't the same thing as releasing Unreal Tournament III - the former takes a lot more work because it requires special software be developed and tested to allow you to play the game designed for an older environment.

I don't think Impulse is doing anything with "retro gaming" - it's a profit-shared distribution channel for current games. Releasing Wing Commander 2 through such a service isn't the same thing as releasing Unreal Tournament III - the former takes a lot more work because it requires special software be developed and tested to allow you to play the game designed for an older environment.

Oh, I know there is realistically ZERO chance of EA signing up to that. It's just a pipe dream. The service looks pretty good, anyway, and most of those Interplay games are very good. I do own most of them already.

It's not a matter of EA signing up for anything - it's a matter of {someone} going to EA and saying "we'll pay you X amount of money and promise Y level of quality". If X and Y match EA's requirements, anyone can sell their old games (as GameTap did, briefly, before deciding to channel that money to horrible web2.0 content instead.)

Back