I finally beat WC1!

Tetris Ling

Spaceman
Hello, everyone. Moments ago, I just completed the final mission for the original Wing Commander for the first time. I've had the game for ages, but I had always thought the game to hard to beat. This was probably because, when I originally got the game, I was your stereotypical 13 year old punk, and couldn't make it through a game without cheats. Those days have long past, but even after I learned how to actually play games, I never came back to Wing Commander.

Until last weekend, that is. Fed up with more, er, modern games, I fished out my old joystick, and dedicated all myself to the task of beating WC1. Dozens of missions and hundreds of Kilrathi later, I am proud to report that I have been successful. Despite bleak moments, and several thrown joysticks, I managed to hang on and finish the game. I only lost one mission (the second Kurasawa mission, I think), and none of my wingmen died. (Well, that's not entirely correct. My wingmen died on a regular basis. I just usually died shortly after). I had 125 kills, though I don't know anyone else who has completed the game, so I don't know whether that is a lot or a little. But I must say, seeing those fireworks was immensely satisfying. Even if I did afterburn my way through the final mission.

Maybe I'll take on WC2, next. Or actually play the plot missions of Privateer.

Anyways, I'm just happy to have beaten WC1, and I felt like sharing.

-Tetris Ling

In my opinion, once you've mastered the original WC everything else comes pretty easy -- so, good job!

WC1 was fun (when it worked..) I once took out 3 fralthis and a couple of wings of (Gratha?) in a (Hornet?) without missiles and no wingman when i was quite young.. i think i was about 8-10.. Ah well, those were the days! :D

(i didn't make up this story.. cant remember exactly which mission it was..)

You mean the patented "Mission in which Iceman Dies"? Cant send him home, cant prevent him from attacking, cant keep him alive during an attack...

I remember beating WC1 for the first time . . . it was on SNES . . I had borrowed the game from my sister-in-law's brother (that is, the brother of the wife of my brother).

I was 12. Then I played Secret Missions (1) on SNES (this was before I had a computer) and I remember thinking "This'll be easy. I'm already a great pilot. Nothing can stop me now" . . . boy, was I stupid.

Now, I can beat WCP on nightmare without dying once and without cheating. And, I can beat UE on Nightmare, but it takes a few days . . . and a lot of Mt. Dew.

At any rate, good job. Congratulations! You're now a man . . . sort of.

You know, whenever Iceman died, it never sounded like my commander minded. He was like:
"You shot down 10 ships. And Iceman didn't come back. Good job on those ships, though!"

But you gotta be able to save him so that he can get caught by the Kilrathi and sliced up and put back in his pod for Hawk and Blair to find! (see WCP) :D

WC1 is a pain in the ass because the controls aren't as smooth or intuitive as, say the FreeSpace series. IIRC, you can't even fire while maneuvering!

Yes you can. That would be so not entertaining to have a space fighter combat sim that wouldn't allow that.

C-ya

Oh, then maybe I'm thinking of WC2. Do some tight turns while blazing away and your guns will fire less rapidly or even stop.

What control setup are you using and what version of the game? Using the KilSaga distribution of WC1 I have noticed that Wing Commander doesnt like more than 2 buttons being pressed at once so keyboard control is out, but when using a mouse or joystick I havent had issues until those cursed Hriss start blowing holes in my ship.

Heh heh . . . Curs-ed Hriss fighters. Amen.

I've never noticed WC1-kilsaga having any such problems. I can 'shred' with the best of 'em, doing as much at any time as I please. However, one thing that WCs 1-3 lack that 4 and prophecy have is the capability to use the Q and W keys to roll while using your joystick to maneuver. The convenient positioning of the rolling keys comes in terribly handy when trying to outfly an opponent's aim during a frontal.

Chernikov said:
What control setup are you using and what version of the game? Using the KilSaga distribution of WC1 I have noticed that Wing Commander doesnt like more than 2 buttons being pressed at once so keyboard control is out, but when using a mouse or joystick I havent had issues until those cursed Hriss start blowing holes in my ship.

I use the keyboard.

Eh, I have a Saitek Cyborg. Before that (like, a few weeks ago) I was using a Magnum 6. It was okay, I guess. Before that, I had my favorite joystick of all time: Thrustmaster Wingman Extreme. A damned fine joystick.

In WCs 1-3, I just use other methods to keep my skin on during a frontal. But, nothing quite beats that corkscrew maneuver that I learned in WCIV. It's unstoppable . . unless they use missiles . . then you have an entirely different dance to step.

I remember the first time I completed the game too. I stayed up for something like 17 hours (being only 7 and having school holidays) and finished the game. I couldn't beleive how well I was doing it.
Never sat on the computer for 17 hours straight though since. Too much time. :cool:

Back