I didn't know that

Vermin

Spaceman
i didnt know that

I knew that origin had given up creating wing commander games, but today i found out that they were developing Strike Team the prophecy sequel...odd...i never even heard about this game until today...

I think Origin and EA need to look at how much money was made with the wing commander series and produce a sequel to Prophecy, the game cant end with a begining.

:( Sad really i have been looking at all the freeware games around some have taken massive influence from WC but dont provide the fell of the series though (all the Mods and things WC are fantasic they should help us longing souls :))

Vermin

Re: i didnt know that

Originally posted by Vermin
I think Origin and EA need to look at how much money was made with the wing commander series and produce a sequel to Prophecy, the game cant end with a begining.
They did make a sequel.

EA is busy cuddling up to massive profit margins, which WC never really offered them.

I think its a little more than that.
UO is the big profit machine at EA. I doubt anything the conglomerate has put out to date comes near the money that game continuously rakes in. They even killed UO2 due to fears of it competing with UO.
For them, Origin only exists for Ultima Online. Ultima IX probably only made it out the door because it had been worked on for as long as it had, because Ultima had the name draw it did, and because Richard Garriott probably (don't know this for sure) fought tooth and nail to get it out the door.
And they still rammed a number of changes into it.
The rest of Origin's properties they probably couldn't care less about.
A quick visit to EA's website reveals the games that EA currently has available or is planning to release shortly. To be honest, with the exception of Ultima Online, and the Sim titles (SimCity, Sims, etc...), there's nothing that really jumps out and says 'Smash Hit!'.
While I can't prove it, I suspect part of the reason that there are no current plans for any Origin properties other than Ultima On-Line is simply because those titles are owned by Origin. If they were owned by another subsidiary that made regular games, they would be allowed to continue publishing them, much as Westwood is allowed to keep publishing their own games (for the time being, of course).
If the series names were not owned by Origin, we might very well have a Wing Commander 6, a Privateer 3, and a Crusader 2.
Does the decision make sense?
Not from my standpoint. But EA is probably more concerned with streamlining divisions and costs associated with asset transfers (which is what would need to occur in order to pass series copyrights to other divisions) to worry about such little things as proven sci-fi winners.
Do I begrudge UO for that?
No. UO is a highly successful game in its own right.

Probably the only hope of seeing anything happen with Origin's old titles is if some fan decides it would be worth his while to resurrect a series, and purchases the rights from EA/Origin.

Yeah but this was the sequel to both Prophecy & Secret Ops :D along with Maniac Missions...but all were cancelled :(

Vermin

Shame really :( i cant understand why Chris Roberts dosent purchase the rights to Wing Commander et al, apparently ST was supposed to be online play as well, Starlancer has a good engine he could give us something on that :D Maniac Missions (i dont really know alot about) was going to explain why Maniac was aboard the Midway and stuff... :(

Vermin

You have been misinformed <G> Maniac Missions was never in development, and it certainly never had a storyline... (and, of course, Maniac's assignment to the Midway is explained in the Prophecy Guide, anyway).

Chris Roberts didn't buy the WC rights because 1) he didn't have the money and 2) they aren't for sale. These are the same reasons I didn't buy the Air & Space Museum.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
These are the same reasons I didn't buy the Air & Space Museum.

[Topic Drift] Though to hear some of the new Smithsonian director's critics tell it, if you did have the money you could buy it. :rolleyes: I'm rather looking forward to the new food options. [/Topic Drift]

I, on the other hand, will miss the flat, tasteless and extremely expensive cheese-burgers of yore.

The chat boards on the washingotn post were entertianing. There seemed to be a split between those who had actually eaten the current food and thought anything was better and those who porbably have never eaten there, but think this is all some part of the evil globalization conspiracy. McDonalds bought a pizza chain from my hometown and so I will finally be able to get some Donatos pizza here in DC. Now if they would only put in a White Castle :D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I, on the other hand, will miss the flat, tasteless and extremely expensive cheese-burgers of yore.

I remember when i went to DC a few years back, and went to the smithsonian. I remember the food.....if you could call it that. ;)

Luckily you can still get those horrible, horrible burgers at the Natural History Museum... and the drink system there is better.

Although I remember some years back it used to be some sort of a weird cafe thing with incredibly erudite food... like lettuce with a dead mouse on it and such.

yumm Pinapple and cheese pizza....*drool* washed down with some nice CIDER -----BLACKTHORN-----

see this is what living in Bristol will do to you (thats UK bristol ;) )

Vermin

There's actually good food to be had at the Smithsonian, at "The Commons." You have to be a Resident member (live within a cretain distance of DC) though, to get in. LOAF, I know your folks are (were?) north and west of me a little ways, so I'm not sure if your family could've been resident members. I'm not sure how they enforce the policy. Where in the world are you these days? Still at school in Texas?

Doesn't Hawaiian pizza usualy have ham on it too? Speaking of which. ... mmm-mm-m-must go eat now!:D

In the states we would say a Hawaiian pizza has pineapple and Canadian bacon (ham). I find it kind of funny that we always call ham as a pizza topping Canadian bacon, yet Canadians have no idea what Canadian bacon is. Makes you wonder why the heck we call it Canadian bacon.

Oh the irony

I'm canadian... canadian bacon? to me it's just regular bacon... and canadian ham is regular ham..... I don't understand this crazy american system!

Originally posted by Shane
There's actually good food to be had at the Smithsonian, at "The Commons." You have to be a Resident member (live within a cretain distance of DC) though, to get in. LOAF, I know your folks are (were?) north and west of me a little ways, so I'm not sure if your family could've been resident members. I'm not sure how they enforce the policy. Where in the world are you these days? Still at school in Texas?

I've been back home in Maryland for a while... ever since I had eye surgery a year or so ago. I'm in Montgomery County, just outside DC.

Back