I built an Installer Package Upgrading for Prophecy, but...

hip63

Spaceman
I built an Full Installer Package for Upgrading Prophecy, but...

...the question is, Do You Want it?

Basically, you would install Prophecy from your original game discs, then install the Upgrade Package, That's it!, all Prophecy Movies Files and Patches are installed! You are ready to play with Hi-Res Movies and OpenGL Support. All extra software the user might need is also included.

Pete's new Secret Ops installer is included as well!

Also included is an image file for playing the game without the CD and requires virtual CD-rom emulation software (included). The image is suitable for playing the game but is unusable for actually installing the game.

View the full Upgrade Package Readme File here:
http://freetexthost.com/hocxhqhuyi

The whole Upgrade Package is packed in ISO format, ready to be archive to DVD

Here's some previews:

The DVD Autorun Menu listing all installation options:

DVD_Menu.jpg

The Upgrade Installer's Main Window:

Installer_Main.jpg

The Upgrade Installation Options Page:

Features.jpg

A New Updated Launcher too: (note: it does NOT overwrite the old launcher when installed)

Clicking the Select Video Options opens the OpenGL Configuration Tool, clicking the Web Site button takes you to WCNews.com. :)

WCP_Launcher.jpg

I even threw in some hi-res Icons I made for Vista and Windows 7 users:

WC_Prophecy.png
WCP_Secret_Ops.png

So do would you guys like to have it?

If so I can have it uploaded by next weekend (I won't be able to upload until later in the week).

(BTW - I'm the guy who built the Babylon Project Installers and DVD as well as the FreeSpace Open Offline installers and DVD kits over at Hard-Light, so I have done this before!) :D

hip63 :p

Would it make sense to have the VOBs be the separate existing packages that the CIC already carries? That would be good for anyone with the VOBS already and just want the installer/patches. If this is going to be one giant package, it might be best to upload directly to the CIC (but then you have the overlap of having VOBs standalone and a part of this).

I kinda like the idea of a "fifth Prophecy disk". You can already download all the patches seperately if you fear big downloads, but this here is the perfect start for newcomers.

I don't think the issue is being afraid of big downloads, just that downloading several gigabytes again for the people who already have the VOBs is time consuming and redundant (and some people have bandwidth caps). It'd take a while just grabbing them from the CIC, but I just noticed that he uploaded them to megaupload where the file is split into a bunch of chunks and has a bunch of download limitations on it.

Downloading the VOBs straight from the CIC and having a package with everything else in it seems like it'd be very convenient and help both newcomers and people archiving this.

Exactly! (sorry for not replying earlier, been tied up with some heavy duty empire total war modding)

I figured that the old timers here surely had all the files by now but think of the noobs man!

If it was me (yeah I know a little prejudic here but...) I'd nix the current zipped VOB and replace it with this.

If you already have the vobs files, patches, ect. then, hey no worries. But if you don't, then the all in one only makes sense.

So going forward, I'd save some server space, host just the DVD and not the zipped VOB files, still keep all the indvidual patch downloads and such and you should be covered all the way around.

Just my 2 cents...

(yes megaupload is not perfect but not many options for a beast of this size without having to carve into a zillion pieces)

Exactly! (sorry for not replying earlier, been tied up with some heavy duty empire total war modding)

I figured that the old timers here surely had all the files by now but think of the noobs man!

If it was me (yeah I know a little prejudic here but...) I'd nix the current zipped VOB and replace it with this.

If you already have the vobs files, patches, ect. then, hey no worries. But if you don't, then the all in one only makes sense.

So going forward, I'd save some server space, host just the DVD and not the zipped VOB files, still keep all the indvidual patch downloads and such and you should be covered all the way around.

Just my 2 cents...

(yes megaupload is not perfect but not many options for a beast of this size without having to carve into a zillion pieces)

The one issue I have for sure at this time is that we know there's a new OpenGL patch being worked on to fix some known bugs among other things. Having to update an entire DVD ISO without some built in patching mechanism (a la standoff) seems a little needless. THe installer idea is great, but I'm sure there's no need to also get rid of the movie packs themselves or the option of downloading the pieces people need.

Just my 2 cents...

The other option is the CIC. :) We routely host huge files related to Wing Commander. Since you already have to segment the package into several large packages at megaupload, it would have been easier to just zip up your patches/installer and put that at the CIC (or even megaupload) and get the vobs from the CIC server. And then everyone could easily grab it. I still think that makes sense for you to do here (I don't see how the current large package at megaupload is better for new users).

You mentioned there were Windows Vista/7 icons. Did you put them up anywhere (so people can download them without grabbing the 4 gig package)?

Hey, if you want upload it here, I have no problems with that, also I always save my build files, so I would not be big deal for me to update this package with new opengl patch or whatever else needs updating from time to time.

I just hate seeing good games die (obviously not the case here yet) and I hate having seen so many great community projects that have complicated installations that some leaves new (and un-techy) people going, TOO MUCH TROUBLE and not enjoying the greatness laid before them (not to mention I have gaming friends who are just some lazy SOBs, l-o-l). So I saddle up my installer horse and try to do the Lone Ranger gig (and where the hell is Tonto?) l-o-l :)

As far as the Icons, I have them on my deviant art page here: http://hip63.deviantart.com/ I also have hi-res for other classic games there too, grab whatever you like :)

Back