How to deal with ridiculous odds?

Lazy Panda

Spaceman
Well, after working my way through the Masterson mission series (don't ask me how I did Masterson 3...), I proceeded with the Lynn Murphy missions. After accepting the first one, I got 10 demons at once thrown up against me alone. This was no trouble in the original prrivateer, as the game regulated it so only 3-4 ships or so are actually there, and if one dies a replacement from the "total reserves" arrives, but now I really cannot handle them all. Game version is 1.0, Ship is Centurion with all the needed equipment. Help would be appreciated.

hmm the mission guide claimed that 10 demons attacked you--if it really should be smaller I can make the number fewer...

is that the one where you get some milita talons for friends?

in cases like that it wasn't all 10 at once, it would send them in waves
same with some of the missions where you defend a drayman. Not sure how to do that with the current scripting.

the drayman missions are done in waves...
I figured the palan missions happened all at once
there is a variable for bringing them in some-at-a-time so I can change it

how many waves of how many ships?
2 waves of 5?

hellcatv said:
hmm the mission guide claimed that 10 demons attacked you--if it really should be smaller I can make the number fewer...

is that the one where you get some milita talons for friends?

Nope, it's the first one so no allies whatsoever.

i did the masterson missions this morning. (needed a second or third try für the demon mission...) after that, i also went to murphy.
in the mission lazy panda mentions i was shredded. the single demon over this agricultural planet is no problem but the bunch in the asteroid field will be tricky.

tomorrow i'll try the same hit-and-run tactics i had to use against those data thieves in oxford.
panda, you could try this: do not use the autopilot, fly there manually. the autopilot gets you too close. target the closest, give him as much autotracked gunfire as you can (do not risk too much) missiles also help as long as you have any, turn around and hit the afterburner. often, they get separated or hit each other during pursuit. target the closest, turn around...

it helped against pirate-talons, maybe it also works against hunter-demons. good luck!

@hellcatv: sorry, i didn't live long enough to see any talon support :)
maybe tomorrow i can tell you if the number is too high, but in a mission where you do not have to protect another ship, it should be possible to get the job done. we just have to find the fitting strategy...

just read your entry jkeefe.
seems it could get a bit hard if demons are faster than a centurion... :-/
we will see.
i do not want to know how this could be done in an orion.

Azagatoth said:
i do not want to know how this could be done in an orion.
Fortunately in the remake you can own more than one ship. To beat it in an Orion, have your Centurion shipped in, fly the mission, then switch back to the Orion :D

The original privateer the Demon's came in 1 wave and then after each of the ship's were destroyed a new ship would take it's place. I think it was about 4-5 total in the first wave. Then after each kill a new ship would takes it place up to 10. It's been a long time since I've played the original though.

I guess I would like to thankyou everyone who made the remake. It's very well done and I love playing it. Of course I play the 0.9beta version right now. Talons destroy me and I feel like I'm cheating accepting a 60K credit mission to kill a draymon that may hit me once or twice. Know these issues are resolved in the latest version.

The Demon Hunter part is an incredibly hard part. Centurion was a great ship and I was able to take them down. But oh man it was hard in the Tarsus. Best was when I found out how the asteriods work in the original (they are easy right now to fly through). The bigger/faster ship would attract the asteriods. You fly the tarsus into the asteriod field and nature did the work for you. I never attempted it in the Orion though, man that was a terrible ship.

HOLY!! Autotracking is the key! I got my butt handed back without it, now I install 4 autotrackers on my guns (please don't remove it hellcat - it's expensive enough) and I hand back their butts... or whatever's left.

Thanks for the great idea.

Well, Privateer Remake always offers a bigger fish, eventually you'll have to learn all the tricks to make it. Beat 3+3 demons attacking a Drayman, then 10 demons, then 10 centurions, then 15-20 Demons, then 25 Talons, then 30-40 Dralthi.

That's my experience from Masterson 3 - Lynn 1-3 - Cross 1 - Cross 3.
Good thing you don't have to actually FIGHT the Dralthi...

hellcatv said:
30-40 dralthi!? where is this?

that must have been random chance...or you runnning the mission a few times

That was the Taryn Cross mission number 3, so I'm very certain I was only running it once. Guess it was random.

speaking about autotracking reminds me... weren't there gun-coolers available in righteous fire? are they included in the remake somewhere?

no, if have not started rf yet but thanks for those indirect answers...

i am still wrestling with those 10 demons.
after 11 clear wins for the hunters, i had to abort the 12th try because they simply ignored me and raced through the system like crazy. now how can i attack fighters that are much faster than i am, when they just pass by, leaving me time to loose two or three shots (with rare hits)...??

how did you manage this mission lazy panda?

Back