How many fighters does the Vesuvius class carry?

Originally posted by Happy
dare i ask it?
how many bits is that, i'm going to c if any one can get it right?
Get the bytes and then multiply by 8. 16,000,000,000,000,000 I think.

Originally posted by Dreamer
Well, I disagree...

Can the Midway really stand against a fleet? I doubt it. The Ship got in serious trouble fighting the fleet of Niphilim in Prophecy.
Umm, the Nephilim took on an entire fleet mostly by itself without reinforcements or resupply and without a full fighter compliment. Of course it had trouble. I think they did pretty damn well.

Originally posted by dacis2
!

I dont remember mass drivers or laser shooting at me, just yellow beams.

400 fighters? and why do they call the Midway a megacarrier? with just 252!

Because the Midway has the ability to deploy an entire company of Marines. Basically it serves as a mobile base of operations for just about anything Confed needs. Just because its classified as a megacarrier doesn't necessarily mean it has a huge fighter complement.

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...
Because the Midway has the ability to deploy an entire company of Marines. Basically it serves as a mobile base of operations for just about anything Confed needs. Just because its classified as a megacarrier doesn't necessarily mean it has a huge fighter complement.

To follow that line of thinking, some bases have relatively light fighter complements compared to some carriers. If a Vesuvius were in the Midway's position during Prophecy (and there was one, the Eisen), it would have contributed a lot in sheer number of fighters, but probably would not have had the facilities to backward engineer alien technology, land combat teams to take over Nephilim capital ships and bases and do all that stuff relating to mounting the Plasma cannon.

Originally posted by Happy
dare i ask it?
how many bits is that, i'm going to c if any one can get it right?

Well since we are talking about the binary system here, everything doesn't round up to a nice power of 10 number. This is why 1kb of memory is actually 1024 bytes (they just round down to the nearest power of ten number - 2^10=1024=1kB). Therefore since I think 2 terabytes is 2x10^12, we just find the highest number in the binary system that is just higher than 2x10^12 which is 2^41=2199023255552 bytes. multiply this times 8 bits in a byte and you have the very unfriendly number of 17592186044416 bits. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've had my microprocessor programming class.

C-ya

Head tilted back, slightly to right, tongue hanging out, small dribble starting, brain leaking out of ears....

Originally posted by ChrisReid

To follow that line of thinking, some bases have relatively light fighter complements compared to some carriers. If a Vesuvius were in the Midway's position during Prophecy (and there was one, the Eisen), it would have contributed a lot in sheer number of fighters, but probably would not have had the facilities to backward engineer alien technology, land combat teams to take over Nephilim capital ships and bases and do all that stuff relating to mounting the Plasma cannon.

the Eisen was a vesuvius?

how'd you know?

Because it's a heavy carrier (heavy carriers use Vampires and Devastators) that's not Midway class. Process of elimination.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix

Do we REALLY need to go into THIS again...?

Heh.
We just argued over this, what, two months ago?
IIRC, there were a lot of compelling arguments for why the Eisen was a Vesuvius, but the most compelling was this:

"Origin said so."

If you anyone REALLY wants to read through it, then go dig through the old messages. It may still be around.

Originally posted by ChrisReid

And so did the hidden code within SO itself.

Er...
Hidden code in SO?
I'm not sure what the hidden code in SO would be, and I'm also not sure why the Eisen would be mentioned in SO. AFAIK, the only time it appears is in briefings in WCP.

To answer the original question, signifigantly less after I get done with them.:D

I dont remember mass drivers or laser shooting at me, just yellow beams.
That's just what's in the game, those stats are from the novels.

400 fighters? and why do they call the Midway a megacarrier? with just 252!
Originally posted by junior
Vesuvius is a super carrier, and carries enough fighters to wipe out an entire battle fleet and an attendent regular carrier in a single strike.
Midway is a megacarrier, and in addition to carrying a large number of fighters, also houses enough support personnel to carry out a wide range of non-combat operations, including reverse engineering alien technology.
The Midway and Vesuvius classes are both heavy carriers. "Megacarrier" and "supercarrier" are just catchy terms with no real meaning behind them.

I seriously doubt either were intended to take on fleets on their own. The Midway, at least, is simply an economical replacement for the Confederation's ageing fleet - it's designed to operate on its own in peacetime, but it would be the flagship of a carrier group formation in wartime.

Originally posted by Dreamer
...but why do they have these huge distances between the place were fighters are stored and the catapults?!?
I think it was accepted quite a while back that it was simply a mistake (or lack of thinking) on the part of the animators... but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by Viper61
Therefore since I think 2 terabytes is 2x10^12, we just find the highest number in the binary system that is just higher than 2x10^12 which is 2^41=2199023255552 bytes. multiply this times 8 bits in a byte and you have the very unfriendly number of 17592186044416 bits. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've had my microprocessor programming class.
No, that's pretty much right. :)

We just argued over this, what, two months ago?
Only two months? I thought it was much more than that... maybe I just missed that one.

Hidden code in SO?
The script for the "Viral Legacy" cutscene names the Vesuvius class carrier as "Mt St Helens".

Back