How do you ''play'' Privateer - RF?

Ghost

Emperor
Well, i always do the same thing, collect enough money (usually Helen-New Detroit Cargo runs) to jumo from Tarsus to Centurion, buy 4 Tachyons, 2 missiles launcher and the best radar (the Omni one?), then the main story missions, after finishing Priv some more mission to buy the new RF things and then the main story missions.

Almost similar but I usually go for Galaxy 1st for cargo runs then to Centurion with quad plasma. In RF its quad (boosted)fusions all the way.

A nice thing about Privateer is that it doesn't need a no story mod. If you don't want to follow the story, simply don't.

A nice thing about Privateer is that it doesn't need a no story mod. If you don't want to follow the story, simply don't.

When I first got the game I didn't even realize it had a story until I went to ND for the first time. I'd spent hours and hours flying around before I'd though to stop there and check things out. It was amazing before I'd found this and beyond belief afterwards.

Yeah the plot was like icing on the cake. The game and the art style were amazing at that time, similar fond memories about Bioforge.

I pretty much always did the same (straight Centurion with 4 Tachyons and IR launchers). When I had finished the story line I would experiment a bit with different ships and guns.

Privateer is a good example of a sandbox game (the good part is getting extremely rare nowadays) with not only an incredible story, but a world that feels more lived in even with fewer actual inhabitants. And the combat, like in every WC game was both fast-paced and tactical. Only thing I could complain about was some issues I ran into near the beginning of the game, but those are trivial by comparison. /rant.

I always get money to get a Centurion with four tachyons, a tractor beam in the turret, and two missile launchers. I've been playing lately and i note that it's actually very easy for me to win any battle, storyline or not. I didn't remember doing it so easily before.

What always seemed weird to me in Priv was that each time I replayed it, I had trouble with a different kind of ship.

Sometimes Dralthis would give me lots of troubles while I was killing Gothris without any effort or vice versa. I also remember that sometimes, Stilettos were absolutely no problem but Talons and Demons surprisingly tough.

I'm finding all the old WC games have mysteriously gotten a lot easier after I've been playing Standoff...

Although now I use afterburners WAY too often... :)

In all the time I had my Deluxe edition Priv CD I never got onto the story track. I really didn't know how, at the time, but I loved cruising around my own none the less.
I'll have to track down another copy and have another go at it.

I'm finding all the old WC games have mysteriously gotten a lot easier after I've been playing Standoff...

Yes, i believe you are right, that must be the reason.

Anyway, i forgot to say that i collect money after the plot from Priv is ended (using my new Steltek Gun "blood, sweet and money", and then i play RF.

Looks like I am the only one that likes plasmas. I usually go 2 tachs, 2 plasmas in the base game.
As far as the storyline goes - same happened to me. I almost shelved the game the first time around, thinking that I'd see it all before I visited New Constantinople.

Sometimes Dralthis would give me lots of troubles while I was killing Gothris without any effort or vice versa. I also remember that sometimes, Stilettos were absolutely no problem but Talons and Demons surprisingly tough.
To this day, one of the most memorable WC moments for me was the first time I took a Dralthi bounty-hunting mission in Priv... I figured, I've killed so many Dralthi in WC1, what could possibly go wrong? It turned out to be the single most exhausting one-on-one fight I'd ever had in WC... I spent about fifteen minutes trying just to scratch the damn cat's armour, because it turned out that my Tarsus' guns weren't actually powerful enough to overcome his shield recharge rate. I did finally manage to kill him, but with all the missiles gone and heavy damage all over, killing him definitely didn't put me in the black :p.

Heh, I remember a similar experience when I first started playing Privateer. I think I had my original DumbFires plus a couple of guns - taking the military-grade radar in earlier WCs for granted, it was a surprise to find that the grey dots could be anything from merchants to Kilrathi!

To this day, one of the most memorable WC moments for me was the first time I took a Dralthi bounty-hunting mission in Priv... I figured, I've killed so many Dralthi in WC1, what could possibly go wrong? It turned out to be the single most exhausting one-on-one fight I'd ever had in WC... I spent about fifteen minutes trying just to scratch the damn cat's armour, because it turned out that my Tarsus' guns weren't actually powerful enough to overcome his shield recharge rate. I did finally manage to kill him, but with all the missiles gone and heavy damage all over, killing him definitely didn't put me in the black :p.

Yeah, I never respected a Dralthi as much as in Priv. :)

Heh, I remember a similar experience when I first started playing Privateer. I think I had my original DumbFires plus a couple of guns - taking the military-grade radar in earlier WCs for granted, it was a surprise to find that the grey dots could be anything from merchants to Kilrathi!

Ah yes, that was a great upgrade possibility. Trying to get money for the jump drive, the afterburner and the military-grade radar. One was really proud once he got it. :)

I originally bought Privateer (along with the Speech Pack) on the day it came out in '93. Over the years, I've played it many times. I do patrol missions in Troy with minimal upgrades to the Tarsus till I can buy a jump drive. Then I go to Padre, do patrol runs (only a couple of NAV points) and cargo missions to ND. Then straight to the Centurion, upgrade to the max (4 tachs, omni, IR missiles, etc.) then the storyline. For RF, I gradually upgrade (since its so much more expensive) as I do storyline missions. Take breaks and run double and triple cargo and patrol missions, then back to the storyline.

I'm currently playing Privateer Remake, which I think is pretty great.

Looks like I am the only one that likes plasmas. I usually go 2 tachs, 2 plasmas in the base game.
As far as the storyline goes - same happened to me. I almost shelved the game the first time around, thinking that I'd see it all before I visited New Constantinople.

I was a fan of the mass drivers. I had great memories of the ferret, so mass drivers became my #1 favorite gun, despite their crummy range. Once I found out that tachyon guns were the best guns you could get, I stopped my trusty set up of twin lasers and twin mass drivers.

With that configuration, do you switch the shields down one level during combat?

My favourite gun loadout on the Centurion is also 4x tachyons, after finding out that the mass drivers in Privateer don't quite feel the same as WC2.

I always made sure I was friendly with the pirates - always accepted missions against Retros and Kilrathi, and when I did encounter the pirates I gave 'em the old #3 communique until they became friendly. To get them permanently on friendly disposition I'd knock off a few Merchant ships here and there (padding my pocket at the same time hehehe, 'The Guild will hear about this!') and kept the balance, making sure the Mercs, Confeds, and Militia didn't sway against me.

As far as ordnance I always used Pilum FF missiles instead of ImRecs once I upgraded to the Centurion; I don't remember the specs but to me the FFs did more damage (hence the higher price.)

Back