How can I create my own campaigns/missions?

I really don't care about fancy dialouge, I just want to know how to create my own campaigns and missions for the game. It'll probably disqualify me for my achievements, but I have the game installed on two computers, so I'm not worried. Finally, what kind of programming experience will I need?

By the way, I was the guy complaining about the wraith eliminating achievements.

I think knowledge of Pascal programming would be helpful. You can find it by searching the forums for Pascal or programming or both. There's a website you can find that gives a tutorial on how to use it. I haven't tried it myself, but since no experienced guys are responding, I thought I'd point you in the right direction.

I think WCPPascal is the way to go, but remember, it was designed for Secret Ops and Prophecy - which Standoff is based upon, but heavily modded and hacked - therefore might not function as well with the programme.

Trust me, I've been trying, I'll write a tutorial as soon as I get it pinned down. I've made so many Standoff mods I'm almost tempted to release a missions pack, if it wasn't for the fact I'm so amateur, my efforts would simply be an insult really, I prefer to leave credit where it's due to the guys who did such a fantastic job of Standoff in the first place.

Trust me, I've been trying, I'll write a tutorial as soon as I get it pinned down. I've made so many Standoff mods I'm almost tempted to release a missions pack, if it wasn't for the fact I'm so amateur, my efforts would simply be an insult really, I prefer to leave credit where it's due to the guys who did such a fantastic job of Standoff in the first place.
Danr, stop appologizing all the time for modding Standoff ! Nothing would please us more that seeing more people mod WCP/SO/UE/Standoff :)

A few totorials are already available on HCl's site, on Unknown Enemy's site and on Killerwave's site for various aspect of Vision modding. You are welcome to improve on what's already been done, it'd be great !

Wow, I didn't know people still coded in Pascal! I thought it had ceased to exist as a language that was actually used for anything...

IMO Pascal is still the best language for beginners to learn progamming. Granted, usability isn't that high nowadays, but it has the right mixture of freedom and restrictions to prevent the worst mistakes and to not completely obliterate beginners. And once you know one language it really isn't that much of a problem to switch to a different one. Maybe 2 weeks and you are going again.

aw man

All I know is java!!!!! In the meantime though, someone should make a GUI mission maker for the game. It could be a collab project.

A GUI might work for setting mission objectives of "kill/protect X", but more complex mission events really need to be individually scripted.

A GUI might work for setting mission objectives of "kill/protect X", but more complex mission events really need to be individually scripted.

I have successfully used MED to create campaign files and missions for WCSO. It is a GUI based editor - but as noted above, there is still a great deal of scripting that must be done to make it functional, in addition to EXE hacking - and everything I have done has been with vanilla WCSO ships. Adding additional ships to the program is a somewhat complex process that I have only partially achieved.

All I know is java!!!!! In the meantime though, someone should make a GUI mission maker for the game. It could be a collab project.

As I said below your post. Once you know one you know them all. I am pretty sure that you'd grasp Pascal in less then a week with good Java (not Javascript) skills, and maybe a week more to learn the more sophisticated stuff. WCPas isn't hard at all, its just a bit weird and its horribly documentated. The best learning material I am aware of is the tutorial done by the UE guys. Unfortunately that one ended too soon.

Also, remember that we released the UE source code - that's a lot of learning material right there.

Also, remember that we released the UE source code - that's a lot of learning material right there.

Are you guys going to release the Standoff source code? If most of you are done for awhile, it might be good to be generous. It'd be very fun for you all to play a fan made game that you didn't work and slave over. If you've been working with Standoff for hours a day for several years, there's a certain joy and surprise that you'd get out of a new fan project that you couldn't get from one you're intimately familiar with.

Back