How are you keeping your space combat craving satisfied?

Originally posted by Wulf
I might try cropdusting! (Which is what Blair should've done after WC3.)

That's a good idea! There is no reason for we sky-dwellers to be grounded (in a professional way). Don't let anything stop you. Believe me, my life is a perpetual public service announcement- all I ever hear is "... you can't," (like when I inquired about combat pilot status). I'll be damned if that stops me. My flying circus will make headlines....

Also, Blair should have been a crop duster, rather than farmer. Blair's life career-wise is a little odd to me... he joined the Academy and got an electrical engineering degree, just so he could go home and fight homocidal insects. What, was he going to build giant bug-zappers?? Then, he becomes a farmer. Odd....

Originally posted by Col.Dom
The best military flight sims are the Jane's series. Navy Fighters all the way (I'm a big Tomcat fan)!!

Woohooo! I love USNF :D The greatest thing was wasting Flankers from a hundred miles with the Phoenix. Suckers never saw what hit'em :cool:

I would go ROTC but I can't be a fighter/bomber pilot like I want to (chalk it up to bad genes- my eyesight suckz) :(

That stinks - why not get an eye operation?

Maybe he did build a bug zapper and a more powerful version was fitted on Cerberus......?:p

Originally posted by Wulf
Maybe he did build a bug zapper and a more powerful version was fitted on Cerberus......?:p

BWA HA HA!! Good one, Wulf!!

Originally posted by Penguin
That stinks - why not get an eye operation?

That was brought to my attention by my old DO a while back. The surgery is mighty expensive, though :(

The only way I'd get it for free is if I just *happened* to be at Lackland AFB one day.... Also, the Air Force is still very sketchy on accepting people with laser-eye surgery for initial pilot training.

What gets my goat is that a lot of the senior officers have bad eyes and wear contacts. I had brought this up once and my answer was "because it is natural for eye sight to degrade with age. They don't take people with bad eyes initially because it will only get much worse."

I was sure to thank my parents for my lovely, brown eyes.... :p

That was brought to my attention by my old DO a while back. The surgery is mighty expensive, though :(

The only way I'd get it for free is if I just *happened* to be at Lackland AFB one day.... Also, the Air Force is still very sketchy on accepting people with laser-eye surgery for initial pilot training.

Blast! Surely the real life Maniac isn't going to let minor technicalities stop him from being an eagle? :( Or have you gotten used to being an earthworm? :p

Originally posted by Penguin

Blast! Surely the real life Maniac isn't going to let minor technicalities stop him from being an eagle? :( Or have you gotten used to being an earthworm? :p

HAHAHA!! I'm a pilot now! Not a combat pilot but in the air, nonetheless. I'm getting my stuff together for high-performance qualification.

Bad eyes aren't a *minor* technicality, either. The military is run by a bunch of stiff old fogies who wouldn't know true talent if it socked 'em in the eyeball. I didn't say that, though....

Maybe you're right, though! I should write the Sec Def or even the prez and ask them to give me a waiver or change their policies :D

I know good eyesight is a great advantage for a combat pilot, but increasingly the Air Force is relying on standoff weapons. I mean in Afghanistan, aren't they dropping the bombs from like 16,000 feet? Guided by satellites and special ops guys?

Heck yes. Look who we're fighting, though. We demolished all two of their Air Forces attack kites at the start of the war.

Our Air Force always stays prepared for the *ultimate enemy empire that comes to r0x0r j00!* Whilst the majority of our most recent campaigns have involved air-to-ground missions, we still produce air-to-air weapon systems. You never know who might try something....

We train for all sorts of scenarios, even the unlikely, like a Battle of Britain of sorts involving close-up raw dogfighting. Scout's motto "Always be prepared!"

Ace Combat 04 was the first flight sim I'd ever enjoyed, thanks to its new and improved EASY flight control scheme, ala wing commander :D
Wait... you could do that in echelon too... but echelon really was bad :p

HAHAHA! Yup! Those guys're poorer than the UBW :p

BWA HA HA HAA!!

The UBW may be poor, but they throughly whipped the Black Lancers' genetically perfect arses. :D

Best, Raptor

Back