How are you keeping your space combat craving satisfied?

Originally posted by Happy
No, they have firmware, not a bios.

In all honesty, there are two people on the CZ who you just don't argue with: LOAF and Johnl12. They know their stuff too well.

Um... you do realize how integral the Basic Input/Output System is, right? Compaq not only makes computers with a BIOS, they also make computers with the standard BIOS setup screens that one can access upon booting (Compaq systems apparantly use F10 or F12). Firmware is any code stored in ROM. The BIOS information is stored in the CMOS, which is ROM. Updates to this software are, hence, firmware updates. There are some models of Compaqs that store their BIOS setup program in a special little partition, I assume that's due to the ease of update or something... I'm not sure. This isn't just something they did. It's a somewhat common practice on a variety of laptops. Hell, the laptop I have upstairs doesn't even have a partition, the setup program's a standard executable stored on the DOS partition...

All we have at work Compaq PCs and Servers. They do have BIOS. If they don't then I must magicly create this interface. I build Win2000 servers all the time. It's what I do for a living. I support over two hundred servers (Win2000, Novell and Unix). Compaq servers are so easy to setup and support. I love them. I do admit as gaming machines I wouldn't get a Compaq. But they do release Softpaq (driver updates) all the time. Replacing fault hardware is very easy to do with them.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Compaqs are not very upgradable. They're not designed to be.
I found that out on one of the obsolete office computers Dad got from his work a long time ago. They needed some Compaq specific fixture to mount a CD drive. Still, they can easily play the original Privateer with minimum fuss. :)

Originally posted by Pedro
meh I've been told DS9 is deep by people in #w-c before :p Infact many have told me the same of Buffy and Babylon 5, thankgod I am able to form my own opinions

Well lets see shall we:
1. DS9 had some purely amazing episodes, some better than any of the other st shows (The Visitor, Far beyond the stars, Sacrafice of Angels, ect.)
2. It had a long lasting story arch which gave way for more interesting shows than: here is a new alien, they want to kill us, lets fight them then show them the error of their ways. or wesley is going through puberty, lets do a show about it.

B5: well not much i can say about it other than that the story was extremely good (not the standard fare to say the least, considering that a person you think is in the background is really the person who the entire show is about and that when you think you know who is good and who is bad you get shown that you are dead wrong) and that it had better acting than most other scifi shows (like umm...voyager...enterprise...), that the graphics, while they got off to a slow start were revolutionary (first show to use all cgi), that the character development is unmatched in a scifi show that i know of, and that in all honesty if you don't like it it is purely because it is either a. too deep and intellectual for you or b. it flew over your head.

Buffy: a show that is fun to watch, it is enjoyable, the humor is quite nice and refreshing. While the stories are quite often stupid as hell, it has some great writing (dialoge wise it is always funny as hell, esp. when seth green was on, his character's dry wit was always good). It also manages to have a good story arc and have some nice character developement (check out willow, and of course buffy esp, the way that the 5th season effects all of them, it is very dark, and i like dark shows)

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
Are there any DVD collections of the Legend of Zelda show? That would be sooo boss...

There's two episodes of Zelda on the Mario DVD. They only did 13 or so episodes total...

Originally posted by Johnl12
All we have at work Compaq PCs and Servers. They do have BIOS. If they don't then I must magicly create this interface. I build Win2000 servers all the time. It's what I do for a living. I support over two hundred servers (Win2000, Novell and Unix). Compaq servers are so easy to setup and support. I love them. I do admit as gaming machines I wouldn't get a Compaq. But they do release Softpaq (driver updates) all the time. Replacing fault hardware is very easy to do with them.

out of the box, maybe so. i have a prosignia 200 third hand. and it susks, it can't do a fifth of the stuff my custom server can. it only boots from scsi, not a problem for me, but that is just retarded.

you do realize how integral the Basic Input/Output System is

(thin ice for me i know, i tread lightly) ;)

i know what a BIOS is. it'sobvious that compaq have something that acts like a bios, they do not have a standard bios. you can not get the full control of the machine you could have, if say you owned a gateway or dell. so in that sense, compaqs do not have a bios.

PS, John's not they only one here that makes a living building severs. :D (hale Tux!!!):cool:

Firstly I would love to get my hands on those Legend of Zelda episodes, I remember seeing a few as a kid but I hadn't gotten into the games at that age :(

Napolean

Good story arc translates to: "Writers unable to come up with original and compelling plot lines on a regular basis stretch a singular and relativley simple plot over a great number of episodes (eg war with aliens from other side of galaxy)"

Good acting my a$$. Ok so the acting in enteprise is poor, but so is that in B5 to an EXTREME extent atleast Voyagers poor acting is countered by the good actors which the series is fortunate enough to have and personally when I'm holding up a sci fi series as having superb acting its almost always Stargate SG-1.

I'm afraid I'm not on a name that episode basis with DS9 like I am with Voyager but I've seen them all and while there were some good ones I never once saw anything amazing.

B5 is one of those series that either appeals to you or you detest it, much like Farscape, I can actually watch the majority of farscape episodes and enjoy myself but there are some majorly irritatingly dull episodes, B5 while granted after seeing the early seasons I vowed never to try any more ever there were enough of those to make me cry in disgust.

The humour in buffy generally reminds me of a combination between the cartoons I watched as a kid and those annoying teen comedies like Saved by the Bell :p But I'll leave that one because a) its popular and I'll get whordes of people diagreeing with me b) I have a teenage sister and I truly truly have a deep deep hatred for teen shows after a huge overdosage whether they contain vampires or not :p

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

There's two episodes of Zelda on the Mario DVD. They only did 13 or so episodes total...

Yeah, that's kind of sad. The Zelda cartoon blew away the Marion cartoon in every way.

I remember dying for Friday to come so I could see the newest Zelda episode :D

Hey, BTW, a new flight sim is coming out called Lock On: Modern Air Combat made by UbiSoft. Check it out on their official site...look at the screens! It says it's going to be ultra realistic, besides the fact that I can fly and eat potato chips without chucking them up!:D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

But they completed the story. I like a series that begins with a story arc and actually ends it, and that's the end. Zelda the cartoon didn't go flat like it could have: It focused on quality, not quantity. One almost felt as thought they had seen the plot of a game played out, unlike in Mario, where the silly adventures had little or nothing to do with the, err... "plot" in the games. And something I always wished was that the alien bad guy from the Game Boy Mario Land were in a cartoon. He was funny and evil and Mario had to fly a plane! Beats being a raccoon any day of the week. Anyhoo, thanks! You're an amazing, walking talking pillar of useful information! Neat!

Anybody here remember those incredibly well-done SNES comics from Nintendo Power? You know- the Super Mario World and the A Link to a Past comics?

Let me tell you, if you never saw or read them, they were freaking AWESOME. I have every one of them (I had a longtime subscription to NP. In fact, I didn't end my subscription until around the time PlayStation debuted)! I just wish I had bought the graphic novels that incorporated every issue of each comic from the NP store catalogue....

Originally posted by Wulf

Ace Combat 4 is a child's arcade game...

Well said, old bean :rolleyes:

I know that. It's perfect for dumb fun, though and no other "child's arcade game," comes close :D

The best military flight sims are the Jane's series. Navy Fighters all the way (I'm a big Tomcat fan)!!

Say- have you played Echelon? It's a "futuristic flight sim." It's pretty good but I lost interest real quick. I still need to figure out how to play online and r0x0r the universe....

Yeah Echelon was pretty cool. I have Jane's WW2 Fighters and USAF as well; they still rock! The trouble with a good flight sim is the 10 pound manuals...getting online training with virtual squadrons solves that problem though.

Heh heh :cool:

I get to bypass a lot of the info in those manuals since I already have a PPL and have read a lot of the TOs on *stuff.*

My buddy got himself hooked up with an F-15 simulator "ride," just yesterday, in fact! He's a private pilot too and, through lots of aviation talk with his jet's pilot, got hooked up with driving the simulator. He said it was real cool and I imagine it is!

He's currently awaiting acceptance into the USAFA (I'm sure he's in) :)

I would have been accepted had I played a franchised sport, but NOOOOOOOO karate tournament fighting doesn't count!!

Yes, I too suffer from not taking part in jockdom. Boo that crap!

I would go ROTC but I can't be a fighter/bomber pilot like I want to (chalk it up to bad genes- my eyesight suckz) :(

I hate enlisted active duty right now, mostly because I dislike my job. So, I figure, if I can't do what I want to in the military, there is no reason for me to be in it. Yeah, I guess you can say four years down the drain but the experiences have been, for the most part, good and nobody can say I never "did my part."

I'm gonna' start a flying circus instead :)

Back