"Hooked on Magnavox!"

Jesus

Swabbie
Banned
Well, I recently heard about next gen consoles all supporting HDTV(with the exception of the Revolution) and recently, many popular movies and games have included widescreen as options, so I decided I needed to look into a more modern TV, since I was already looking into getting a TV if my own since I'll be doing so much online gaming next gen in consoles. I was browsing around for something cheap, of quality, that I could hang on my wall, and I came across this...

6986149_ra.jpg
6986149cv2a.jpg

At 17", made by Magnavox, HDTV, widescreen, LCD, progresssive scan, that doubles as a PC monitor. All for $455. With most HDTVs and LCDs up over $500, usually close to $1000, I'd say I found a pretty good deal. Now the whole problem is earning up that other $300...ah well, I have a birthday coming up, and I'm still young enough to convince my parents to pitch into an expensive gift if I pay for most of it. ^_^

Anyways, you guys know of any good ways to earn money over the summer? My only issue is I'm not quite 16 yet...by next september, sure, but not quite yet, so I can't do any jobs that require me to be over 16 or 18.

Jesus said:
At 17", made by Magnavox, HDTV, widescreen, LCD, progresssive scan, that doubles as a PC monitor. All for $455. With most HDTVs and LCDs up over $500, usually close to $1000, I'd say I found a pretty good deal.

You can get a good 19" LCD screen for your computer for about $400, and at least the XBox will have a first party vga adapter that will hook into it. LCDs are not very expensive these days. 17" ones are normally half that price. You're paying a premium there to get it with tv inputs. You're also paying more to be able to hang it on the wall. For $450, I'd probably recommend a good 27" CRT HDTV.

Jesus said:
Anyways, you guys know of any good ways to earn money over the summer? My only issue is I'm not quite 16 yet...by next september, sure, but not quite yet, so I can't do any jobs that require me to be over 16 or 18.

Nope, sorry, you're screwed.

??? looks like just another standard LCD. Make sure it really is 16x9 and that it just isnt deceiving because of the side speakers making it look wide. It may just be the angle but the picture just looks like a standard 4:3 ratio screen. Also make sure you do your research as not all screens are created equal. Don't let a low tag sucker you in to 3 or 4 years of regret. Have you checked any reviews of this model? What do they list as possible concerns? Can you live with that? What about Consumer Reports? http://www.consumerreports.org/main...ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=333133&bmUID=1119075256928 Check their ratings... (see if theres a newsstand issue with tVs in it, otherwise $5 is nothing if it saves you a 500 dollar headache)
And lastly, the best test is your own eyes. Do not purchase until you've seen it in action doint the things you will be using it for most often. It may look good as a TV but possibly be horrible as a monitor... who knows! Try and get the store clerks not to split the feed though as this is a particular problem with testing LCD's in stores.

Jesus said:
You could try getting a job doing a paper round or a milk round or something like that. With the amount I get paid though, you might have to work for quite some time.

ChrisReid said:
You can get a good 19" LCD screen for your computer for about $400, and at least the XBox will have a first party vga adapter that will hook into it.
Even the newest 8ms response time LCDs still aren't ready for gaming or movie watching. The figure is always a huge exaggeration; they're usually in the 20-35ms range except under some ideal circumstances. Expect to see a lot of ghosting no matter what quality screen you get. Another reason why they're not good for watching TV or movies is the limited viewing angle. Getting together with some friends to watch a movie means you'll have to pile up so that everyone can sit in front of the screen.

For $450, I'd probably recommend a good 27" CRT HDTV.
Absolutely. For what you'd spend on hyped up, inferior LCD technology you can get a huge, high quality CRT screen.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I wanted this to hang on my wall since I already have practically no space to put anything left in my room, so that's why I wanted an LCD, since they're so thin.

I'm not just buying this for the price tag, if that's what I was doing, I would go for the Norcent for $80 less, but Magnavox has a good name behind it, with a good rep, so I'm sticking with that as the TV I'll be using until I can see the Norcent and the Magnavox. When I do view it in store, I'm going to see if I can change it's channel to be watching a basketball game if I can, because those are always fast paced with lots of small little details, the perfect thing to truly test a TV's quality. And actually, I found out it's not 16x9, but rather only 15x9. The Norcent one is 16x9 though, so I'll look into that one a bit more...

Also, wide viewing angles won't be a problem, since I already won't be able to see very wide angles of the TV. I'm actually putting it in the back of my closet, which is right across my room from my bunkbed/futon, mainly because my dad has always been sick of the idea of having screens in sight when not in use, so I can easily close the closet door when I'm not using it to hide it away. And like I said, this TV would be a more personal TV, for Online gaming and stuff, so getting a bunch of people together around it wouldn't happen often.

Edit: I just found out from another retailer that the Norcent has a 170 degree viewing angle, so I might just go with that one if I can't see a difference between the two.

Can't really say much on the screen...other than I wouldn't buy it. Like Chris and Kris and others have said, I think you can do better with a little research.

As far as the earning money...there is always Burger King, McDonalds, Arby's, Dairy Queen, Hardees, Culver's, Pizza Hut, Happy Joes, Subway etc. Any of these places routinely hire kids under 16 especially during the summer although it would have better if you could have applied earlier in the year. Pay is probably close to minimum wage but hey, it's a relatively easy job that just about anyone is qualified for. Those would be your best bet.

However you could also try: delivering newspapers, mowing lawns (great way to make good money over the summer), or pickpocketing. (Definitely don't recommend the last one).

Mow lawns. That's how I earned my first bike. I had a paper route also, but I think that's pretty much a thing of the past if you don't have a car.

Jesus said:
I'm actually putting it in the back of my closet, which is right across my room from my bunkbed/futon, mainly because my dad has always been sick of the idea of having screens in sight when not in use, so I can easily close the closet door when I'm not using it to hide it away.

That's really crazy. I've got five screens in this room alone. His head would probably explode. I'd still recommend the CRT. Do you have a personal tv at all? You can get a very nice 20" CRT for cheap. It wouldn't do the high definition stuff a $450/27" would, but you can get one with component inputs that still looks excellent. That flatscreen magnavox only supports 480p, not real high definition stuff, and 480i on a high quality CRT from where you're sitting would probably look better. You like magnavox? Get this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03004&id=1077625453410 Much cheaper, bigger display, might fit in your closet, probably better picture quality.

Jesus said:

Selling cocaine is a great way to make huge amounts of money relatively quickly. You could probably afford your TV and thensome within a week or two.

Trelane said:
Selling cocaine is a great way to make huge amounts of money relatively quickly. You could probably afford your TV and thensome within a week or two.
Trelane is correct, however, in order to gain maximum profit, you need a cocoa tree, which takes up a fair amount of space. You should try growing a smaller narcotic like cannabis as that can also fetch a fair bit of money. Or at least that's what I gather from the stoners in my school.

I only know this stuff because I go to a school with a drugs problem. I would never touch the stuff my self. There is a guy that lives just down the road from me who was growing cannabis on his window sill. Obviously he got arrested when the police searched his house. I just can't believe that his parents never picked up on what the asshole was doing.

Yeah, that's stupid. You have to be on the equator to get by on just sunlight. He needed a good artificial light source, burning continuously the first few months. Jeez.

Along with Maj. Striker's suggestion of working fast food, I'd also suggest working as a cashier at a grocery store. When I worked at Redner's during summer and holidays, there were plenty of 15-16 year old kids working the registers.

...now this is a somewhat related question, but is "Grit" still around? I remember it being advertised in the back of comic books, but you don't hear much about that kind of stuff anymore.

Yeah, he is. He'll be reprising his role in Dual Strike this August.

m-advancewars2_grit_01-jpg.jpg

grit.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
AW:DS makes me happy. How long till it's released??

BTW, go for CTR, CTR rocks. CTR is sweet. all that. I love CTR.

Well, I read this article which made me 10x as wise and 10x as careful. I'm scrapping the magnavox I was looking at now because I now have my mind set that I want a 720p, since I'm already getting a small TV. I'm also looking to see if there are any cheap TV stands out there, since if I do get a CRT then it needs to be set on something sturdy. I still want something widescreen that doubles as a PC monitor, but I don't care much anymore about whether or not it's LCD or plasma or CRT. So long as it's 720p, cheap, and close to 20", I'll be happy.

Oh, and I applied for a good looking job, dunno if I'll get it, but here's the job description:

Part time or Full time Temporary position (Summer)

Trovix, Inc. is developing next generation search agent technology, initially being used to help companies recruit the best talent available. Trovix technologies are based on many years of research and development at MIT. We are backed by top-tier venture capital firms and Stanford University

Specific experience is not required but we are looking for a bright, computer literate, quick learner to work in our fast paced software startup company. You must be comfortable working within an environment of highly educated and motivated individuals. We will provide the specific training necessary to accomplish the tasks required of this position. We are an innovative company with a fun, team-oriented environment. This position will report into the Quality Assurance department and will be primarily focused on helping to build test cases and improve the quality of the Trovix Recruit application.

Job Role:

� Work with internal engineers and staff to help create a master knowledgebase of industry terms.

� Work on developing a set of candidate test data to run automated regression tests against in order to ensure high quality product releases

� Using information provided, manually create test case data sets for candidate resumes and job descriptions

� Evaluate and review candidate resumes to help identify software product problems and improve overall search result quality

Salary:

� $10 per hour (plus productivity bonuses)

Yeah, I think it sounds great, and I fit the part perfectly. If I do get this, I'll definately be able to afford a TV by the end of the summer, birthday bonuses or not.

Jesus said:
Well, I read this article which made me 10x as wise and 10x as careful. I'm scrapping the magnavox I was looking at now because I now have my mind set that I want a 720p, since I'm already getting a small TV. I'm also looking to see if there are any cheap TV stands out there, since if I do get a CRT then it needs to be set on something sturdy. I still want something widescreen that doubles as a PC monitor, but I don't care much anymore about whether or not it's LCD or plasma or CRT. So long as it's 720p, cheap, and close to 20", I'll be happy.

It would have to be LCD, because they don't make 20" plasmas, and they don't make 20" CRT HDTVs. You're looking at about $1000 for a 20" set like this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Shar.../sem/rpsm/oid/96185/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do But it's not actually high definition. That's about the nicest 20" LCD there is, and it's only 1024x768, so it's neither 720p or 1080i for real. Cheap, small screen, and high quality high definition display just don't go together.

Back